External wireless adapter?

Harry NL

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2013
Hi guys!

Quick question:

I am building my new pc and I do not want a wireless card in the computer for two reasons. One is that I try to avoid radiation near where I am sitting for so many hours during the day and the other one is that the access point in the building where I live is quite a few meters away from where I am sitting.

So, I was wondering if there is some kind of cable that I can connect to the back of the pc (USB or in any other way) that will be 3-5 meters long and at the other end of the cable there will be a little antenna sending/receiving the wifi signal. I guess there must be something like that. Do you know the name or how should I search for it in shops?

Also, do you think it's worth it? Will it be fast enough?

Thanks a lot!

JOHNN93

Honorable
you can go with a usb extension which is cheap or with a power line extension
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704132
with you plug one device in the power outlet and one where ever you want you plug in Ethernet and its ready to go no radiation at all :)
you can even deactivate wifi from router so no one can access your access point.
the INTERNET passes through the power lines no messy cables through the hose and no lags due to encryption ;)

Harry NL

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2013

Apart from the radiation I need to get the wifi adapter closer to the router which is located at the staircase of the building so I can get a better signal.

I do use a cellphone but I try to keep it far away from me and in general I try to avoid radiation overall (ie I do not use the microwave). I know it's a bit silly but still, we are all weirdos in some way right? :p

Harry NL

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2013

Great solution! Never heard about it before.. However, I was looking for something up to 15-20 euros or so. I don't think it's worth it to spend 50+ euros on that. Thanks though! :)

Harry NL

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2013

Thanks. This is more or less what I was looking for..! The only thing is that the max speed is 150mbps. Do you think that will be fast enough for downloads and online gaming or should I look for one which gets up to 300 mbps speed?

USAFRet

Titan

150Mbps is almost certainly faster than your overall speed from your ISP. And that number only counts within your LAN, talking to other internal devices.

Also, remember that that 150 (or 300, etc) is theoretical. Not absolute. Under perfect conditions, and if the transmitter and receiver are right next to each other...you might approach that transfer speed.