[SOLVED] extra power

Jul 11, 2020
My Asus Tuf Gaming x570-plus WiFi motherboard has an extra 4 pin power spot next to the 8 pin cpu power spot. Where do I get this power from off my 650w modular thermaltake power supply? Thanks, Ryan

Solution
My Asus Tuf Gaming x570-plus WiFi motherboard has an extra 4 pin power spot next to the 8 pin cpu power spot. Where do I get this power from off my 650w modular thermaltake power supply? Thanks, Ryan
You don't need it. No Ryzen CPU will draw that much power unless overclocking on LN2. You could probably get along just fine using only one 4 pin connector.

But if you really wanted to put something there you have two choices: one is get another CPU/EPS cable from Thermaltake to put in an open connection point on your modular PSU. If you don't have an open connection point on the PSU, get a splitter to turn one of the existing 4-pins into two 4-pins.

Don't use a splitter if you really do plan on overclocking to 5+ Ghz on LN2...
You don't need it. No Ryzen CPU will draw that much power unless overclocking on LN2. You could probably get along just fine using only one 4 pin connector.

But if you really wanted to put something there you have two choices: one is get another CPU/EPS cable from Thermaltake to put in an open connection point on your modular PSU. If you don't have an open connection point on the PSU, get a splitter to turn one of the existing 4-pins into two 4-pins.

Don't use a splitter if you really do plan on overclocking to 5+ Ghz on LN2. For that matter, don't use a 650W Thermaltake PSU either. But you'll not over-current the cable with any stock Ryzen CPU.

Last edited:
Solution