Question Extract Only Files List of Bad Sectored Hard Drive

Jun 28, 2019
Hi Community,
My hard drive got bad sector and failed to load , Here's My question about it that describes the issue :

I decided to take the hard to Recovery Center and I spent 300$ to get my data back. [ They used PC3000 ]
Recovery process toke 12 Days and finally today I got my hard back.

As I remember I had only 30GB free on my hard drive and now I have 480 GB free on recovered hard [ New Drive I got ]
The issue is I don't know which files are lost and gone away :(

I still have broken hard drive.

Now :

1 - Is there any way to get a list of files and folders from broken hard via boot ? I just need names to compare to recovered one.
Hard doesn't load in windows...

2 - Broken Hard drive had 2 partition D and E each 1TB and 'Compress this drive to save disk space' was disabled on both.
I had lots of 3d files , saved web pages , code files on it and I know this files have a high compression ratio close to 80 - 90%.

I checked and New hard drive has 'Compress this drive to save disk space' enabled , Can this compression cause 400GB free space ? [ I don't think so but can it be ? ]

3 - They gave me recovered hard in 2 folder '1' and '2' , 1 is my D drive and '2' is my E drive , My pc is based on this 2 drive , Can I make a virtual or symbolic Drive from this 2 folder as drive D and E ?
Is there any software to doing this [ Commercial or Free , Doesn't matter ]

4- Also I checked out and my last 30GB I downloaded before hard crash , they was gone too ... , Where this 400GB went ?:(

But my Important question Is any way to know which files I lost ?

Jun 28, 2019
I don't have ne D and E , it's a new hard drive with single partition and I don't have any other hard to perform a copy paste ,
I think it can be possible to make symbolic virtual Drives from folders...

Jun 28, 2019
no it's not dead , I can access to it via active boot disk , explorer shows all folders in partitions but when I click on a folder to open it it freeze ...
I think is there a header part to store file names , isn't it ?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if for some reason, you can get a DOS prompt to see it from a boot disk, you may be able to get a directory listing. that would at least allow you to compare with what got recovered and see what's missing. the data itself is likely gone, but if knowing what is lost makes you feel better it may be possible.

again if you can get the drive read from a command prompt, then give it this command

tree d: /f > c : files.txt

this will send the entire directory tree to a file on c: root drive. you can name the file whatever you want and of course the drive letter i made d: is whatever letter the hdd gets assigned. run it again with a new file name for second partition and it's drive letter and so on.

again this assumes you can get the prompt to see the drive.

Reactions: MikeSmith1992
Jun 28, 2019
if for some reason, you can get a DOS prompt to see it from a boot disk, you may be able to get a directory listing. that would at least allow you to compare with what got recovered and see what's missing. the data itself is likely gone, but if knowing what is lost makes you feel better it may be possible.
Thank you Math Geek , It's not about feeling better , I can download some of them again , that's why I want to know them.
can I do this on boot ? What I need ?

The problem is, its not something the average user can understand
I'm a low-level programmer not a avarage user :) Thank you

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Thank you Math Geek , It's not about feeling better , I can download some of them again , that's why I want to know them.
can I do this on boot ? What I need ?

I'm a low-level programmer not a avarage user :) Thank you

all you need to do is boot to the command prompt and enter the command i suggested. it'll do the rest. then reboot and open the file and start scanning. nothing special to do other than that. you say you can boot into windows with the drive attached so you might be able to do this from command prompt inside windows as well.

Reactions: MikeSmith1992
Jun 28, 2019
Hi guys , Thank to you i got a list of my files.
But the issue is I checked my files most of them recovered but they are corrupted ...
So they got 300$ from me and gave me nothing ... :(
They recovered 1.6 TB from 2TB but I checked and 1.4TB of that 1.6TB is corrupted ...
So they only recovered 200GB of my data !

Also in recovered hard there's text files of files are corrupted :

SaveErrorReport2019_7_20_14_37.txt

And it contains :
File L:\2\AfterFX CC\Avatar.psd has been saved, but it contains unread or bad sectors producing errors!
File L:\2\AfterFX CC\Tree2.ZTL has been saved, but it contains unread or bad sectors producing errors!
File L:\2\AfterFX CC\tree.spm has been saved, but it contains unread or bad sectors producing errors!
File L:\2\AfterFX CC\Tree.max has been saved, but it contains unread or bad sectors producing errors!
File L:\2\AfterFX CC\Tree02.max has been saved, but it contains unread or bad sectors producing errors!
File L:\2\AfterFX CC\Tree9.ZTL has been saved, but it contains unread or bad sectors producing errors!
File L:\2\AfterFX CC\fe.ZTL has been saved, but it contains unread or bad sectors producing errors!
File L:\2\AfterFX CC\Fibers24.OBJ has been saved, but it contains unread or bad sectors producing errors!
File L:\2\AfterFX CC\Fibers43.OBJ has been saved, but it contains unread or bad sectors producing errors!
File L:\2\AfterFX CC\Tree6.ZTL has been saved, but it contains unread or bad sectors producing errors!

USAFRet

Titan
Hi guys , Thank to you i got a list of my files.
But the issue is I checked my files most of them recovered but they are corrupted ...
So they got 300$ from me and gave me nothing ... :(
They recovered 1.6 TB from 2TB but I checked and 1.4TB of that 1.6TB is corrupted ...
So they only recovered 200GB of my data !
Yep.
You can't rebuild a 100 page book if you only have pages 2-8, 43-66, and 84-90.

Expensive lesson learned.
You personally need to be proactive with your data.

Jun 28, 2019
Yep.
You can't rebuild a 100 page book if you only have pages 2-8, 43-66, and 84-90.

Expensive lesson learned.
You personally need to be proactive with your data.

Stop being an ** :\

Could we see the drive's SMART report?
It's here :

Last edited by a moderator:
Drivesavers does physical recovery.

They replace parts on dead drive, recover data, and copy data to a new drive.

Do you have the old drive?

A simple $100 backup solution could have solved this.

I wasnt keen on manual backups via plugging in a backup drive as it was time consuming and annoying. But its worth your time if you have important data.
You could also have a program automatically backup your data onto another drive without you having to do a think.

Seagate's SMART thresholds are way too high. WD's drives will alert you when the number of bad sectors exceeds 500 or so. Seagate waits until your drive records about 15,000 reallocations. :-(

You need to ask yourself, do you want to pay extra for a physical recovery? If not, then be aware that thrashing your drive with more tools, especially those that don't know how to handle bad sectors, will only increase the risk of total failure. Many drives will stop responding when their grown defect list becomes full. That's where you are headed.

Reactions: USAFRet