Extremely slow internet

an007

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Hello friends..
I have an hp pavillion series laptop with pre installed windows 8.1..itvhas all the good specs but the one thing that is bugging me since i bought this is the extremely slow internet connection...if i m surfing alone then there is no problem but whenever even a single device connects with my home wifi ..no matter its a laptop or mobile..it takes all the internet spped from my laptop..my sister can easily watch youtube through her phone and i cant even load a single webpage on it ...speed literally reduces to kb/s ..and even i connect my laptop through the router directly with a lan cable..the problem still persist ..
Please help as i am seriously at my wits end and i cant do anything on my laptop

Solution
On most modern routers and modems, within the set up page, there should be a way to monitor and shape traffic, like setting a primary connection at a certain maximum bandwidth, and each additional device can only consume XX% of remaining bandwidth as a "guest" connection. You've probably got a strange config where your laptop takes lowest priority, especially if your sister is able to hog all the bandwidth from you. If you've got a really slow connection service, there's going to have to be a compromise regardless, since video streaming can be rather bandwidth-heavy. Maybe you and your sister can work out a compromise on how much bandwidth each of you will use, and set it into the modem or router directly.

amtseung

Distinguished
On most modern routers and modems, within the set up page, there should be a way to monitor and shape traffic, like setting a primary connection at a certain maximum bandwidth, and each additional device can only consume XX% of remaining bandwidth as a "guest" connection. You've probably got a strange config where your laptop takes lowest priority, especially if your sister is able to hog all the bandwidth from you. If you've got a really slow connection service, there's going to have to be a compromise regardless, since video streaming can be rather bandwidth-heavy. Maybe you and your sister can work out a compromise on how much bandwidth each of you will use, and set it into the modem or router directly.

Solution