[SOLVED] Failing graphics card?

Jun 1, 2020
So my PC has been very reliable for even the most resource intensive gaming for a good few years now, but suddenly today things have happened that have made my PC unusable. I’ll walk you through what has happened below:

My PC was working as normal, I left while it was running for about an hour, and I came back to see that it had a black screen on both monitors.

I reset and booted it back up, turned to black screen after the initial bootup with the blue Windows logo and spinning dots to signify it was loading (at this point I noticed that the lights on my mouse and keyboard weren’t on either, no matter how long I waited).

I reset again into safe mode, it booted up fine into the usual low-resolution desktop that safe-mode provides, but there are two semi-corrupt-looking vertical artifacts, one in the middle of the screen and one to the right.
This is as far as I’ve gotten.

I just want to know if it is the graphics card that is at fault, if it’s something else, and whether to replace said components?

The card is an AMD Radeon 200 Series. I can provide more specs if needed.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
So my PC has been very reliable for even the most resource intensive gaming for a good few years now, but suddenly today things have happened that have made my PC unusable. I’ll walk you through what has happened below:

My PC was working as normal, I left while it was running for about an hour, and I came back to see that it had a black screen on both monitors.

I reset and booted it back up, turned to black screen after the initial bootup with the blue Windows logo and spinning dots to signify it was loading (at this point I noticed that the lights on my mouse and keyboard weren’t on either, no matter how long I waited).

I reset again into safe mode, it booted up fine into the usual low-resolution desktop that safe-mode provides...

I reset again into safe mode, it booted up fine into the usual low-resolution desktop that safe-mode provides, but there are two semi-corrupt-looking vertical artifacts, one in the middle of the screen and one to the right.
This is as far as I’ve gotten.

I just want to know if it is the graphics card that is at fault, if it’s something else, and whether to replace said components?

The card is an AMD Radeon 200 Series. I can provide more specs if needed.

Thanks in advance.
most likely its the card.The things you mentioned are symptoms of a dying card.

Reactions: Tigerhawk30
Solution

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
I would agree with Djoza. Had my own experience with my MSI 5700XT a few weeks ago. It kept black screening on me for no reason. The computer didn't crash, so no files for me to look at in the WhoCrashed program. I'd restart, and it'd go maybe an hour before another black screen. Finally, it wouldn't ever boot up and the Debug light on the MB for GPU would stay brick red. As as aside, if you have debug lights on your MB, may want to examine those.

But yes, I'd also say this one is dying. I'd plan for a replacement sooner rather than later.

Good luck, and have a great one!

Jun 1, 2020
Thanks, guys. A replacement (and quite frankly an upgrade) is on the way.
I just find it strange that it suddenly gave up today. It had a small hiccup yesterday where the screen froze for a few seconds while I was playing WoW, but I didn’t think much of it. Today, not even the Radeon driver would recognise the card. One of the DVI ports still worked on the card though, oddly enough.

If there’s nothing more to add, thank you for confirming my suspicions.