Question Fan 12vrgb connector

NicolasIragorri1

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
Hi Tom's community,

I finished building my gaming PC and everything is running smoothly! However, I'm having an issue with the case fans. I plugged them directly into the PSU since the motherboard doesn't seem to have the RGB connector. However, I haven't been able to connect the fans led cable. The case is a Coolermaster 5RGB lite. It has three fans in the front that are running properly. However, I can't connect the LED cables (three separate ones brought together with a 3-to-1, female, 4 pin converter. The case's manual states that this connector should go into the motherboard's 12VRGB 4 pin connector - However, It doesn't look like my motherboard supports this. How can I get the LED fans to work? Is there a way to connect this cable to my motherboard (MSI z170A sli)?

Thanks guys!
Nicolas

NicolasIragorri1

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
Hi Jojesa,

Thanks for your reply! So, this motherboard doesn't support RGB?

If so, Is it possible to connect the fan's leds to the PSU? I couldnt connect the fans to the mo/bo so I connected them to the PSU with the RGB cable.

The controller seems a bit expensive if it's function is just to get lights. Can't understand why the morherboard wouldnt have the option to light up the fans

Thanks again!!

Hi Jojesa,
Thanks for your reply! So, this motherboard doesn't support RGB?
No, that motherboard does not have RGB headers.

If so, Is it possible to connect the fan's leds to the PSU? I couldnt connect the fans to the mo/bo so I connected them to the PSU with the RGB cable.
Even thought they are glued together, the RGB LEDs and the fans are two different entities. They do have different cables, connectors and power requirements. That is why the fan cables and RGB are different.
You could connect the fans to the motherboard or straight to the PSU.
Since there are not RGB connectors you won't be able to use the lighting but the fans should work just fine.

The controller seems a bit expensive if it's function is just to get lights.
That controller controls the power to the LED and allows full customization of the lighting and color effects.
There are less expensive controller but you won't be able to fully control the lighting.

Can't understand why the morherboard wouldnt have the option to light up the fans.
Very simple...you purchased a motherboard that does not have that feature (RGB connector). Its like getting a motherboard without a DVI port and then trying to connect a monitor with a DVI cable.

NicolasIragorri1

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
Hi Jojesa,

I'm coming back to this old thread! Thank you for your previous help. As a follow-up, I wanted to know if my motherboard (MSI z170A sli) is compatible with the following controller?
Cooler Master RGB Controller/Hub for Computer Case Fans, Software supported, 4 Connecting Ports, USB Link, Multiple Light Modes, Color Customization - 1 pack - https://www.newegg.ca/cooler-master...for_Computer_Case_Fans-_-11-999-379-_-Product

My case is (Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 5 RGB ATX Mid-Tower with 3 RGB Fans Tempered Glass Side Panel & External Cases MCW-L5S3-KGNN-02)

Thanks!

Nicolas