Fan Bigger the Better

G

I just have a question about my HSF, I am using a Globalwin FOP32-1 on my athlon 900 and just to test out what the cpu temp would be with crazy wind on it i put a floor fan next to the case and my cpu temperature was about 38 degrees so i figure no matter how many fans i put on the thing it probably isnt going to get any colder than that, but thats cool without the floor fan next to it it runs at about 45 degrees (these temps are are pretty standard the computer has been on for about 3 days straight now) its sitting at 42 degrees right now, it kind of goes up and down depending on the temp outside. anywho. i am wondering if i replace the little fan on the globalwin 32-1 with a bigger fan will i notice better cooling then with the small one it has on it now. or would it make just as much sense to just add additional fans to my case, I currently have a front intake 80mm, rear 80mm and then the powersupply (enermax, has two fans on it) I just want to get to that floor fan temperature if i can.

If you overclock an Intel Processor enough, it will turn into an AMD. True Story.

G

There is not doubt that you could find a way to make the CPU run cooler, but my question is this, what is wrong with the 45C temp you get now with just the CPU Fan?? Is this temp the idle temp, or is it the max temp when doing something like SETI or gaming? What it the absolute max temp you have seen? Also, what kind of thermal compound are you using between the Heatsink and CPU? I would get some Arctic Silver if you don't have any, as it will help transfer more heat from the CPU to the Heatsink and lower your temps a few degrees. I would not be wasting my time if the CPU never gets over 50C, as it seems your system is running OK and the cooling process it working. Are you running any intake or exhaust fans on the case? I have found that my CPU climbs a few degrees when I have the case open, but when I close it up the exhaust fans pull more heat from the case and blow it outside the case lowering the temps about 3C-5C.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Sure a bigger fan is always better. I was using a squirrel cage fan which pumped are rediculously and it worked awsome. My CPU stayed at near room tempreatures LOL~!!!!

G

where do you get something like that? never heard of it, and to the previous post yes i am using arctic silver.

If you overclock an Intel Processor enough, it will turn into an AMD. True Story.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
They use squirrel cage fans in heating systems and stuff like that. They pump A LOT of air. You can get a smaller (not quite as big as mine he he) squirrel cage fan from a hardware store for about $40.