[SOLVED] Fan configuration?

iSteven_6s

Prominent
Jun 23, 2019
Slightly longer question so bear with me here...
The cooler I have right now is a Scythe Fuma 2 with the front fan replaced with a Corsair LL120.
My plan is to add two more fans to my system (Noctua Redux). The two configurations I can use are:
A NF-P12 (120mm 1700) RPM replacing the middle fan on my cooler (Scythe Kaze Flex 1200RPM), and a NF-14s (140mm 1500RPM) as an intake fan. (Noctua fan is roughly 40% better than the Scythe)
Or
Keep the Scythe fan where it is, get two NF-14s (140mm 1500RPM) fans and use them both as intake.
(The other two fans in my system are a Corsair LL120 and a Scythe Kaze Flex Slim, both as exhaust.)
Which configuration would give me better cooling?

Solution
The cooler I have right now is a Scythe Fuma 2 with the front fan replaced with a Corsair LL120.
Nice cooler!
Why would you do THAT, though? There's a reason this cooler uses 2 different fans: http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/cpu-cooler/fuma2.html
[Dual Fan Reverse Airflow]
The Fuma 2 CPU cooler comes with two fans, a Kaze Flex 120 and a Kaze Flex Slim 120, which rotate in opposite directions. This creates a higher static pressure and an increased and more stable air flow, as well as contributing to it's low noise profile.

A NF-P12 (120mm 1700) RPM replacing the middle fan on my cooler (Scythe Kaze Flex 1200RPM), and a NF-14s (140mm 1500RPM) as an intake fan. (Noctua fan is roughly 40% better than the...

Lutfij

Titan
I would ask you to keep all fans the same, to get a consistent performance. If you think mixing and matching fans to get a sweet spot could be had, the answer to that is if you do trial and error testing then maybe you might find something that works. For me I learned that having the same fans as intake and exhaust helps the RPM's when plugging everything to one source(PWM fan hub or the motherboard's headers).

iSteven_6s

Prominent
Jun 23, 2019
I would ask you to keep all fans the same, to get a consistent performance. If you think mixing and matching fans to get a sweet spot could be had, the answer to that is if you do trial and error testing then maybe you might find something that works. For me I learned that having the same fans as intake and exhaust helps the RPM's when plugging everything to one source(PWM fan hub or the motherboard's headers).
Unfortunately, the two choices I'm trying to decide between require different purchases. I don't have the budget to buy both configurations to do trial-and-error, which is why I'm asking this question now.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Nice cooler!
Why would you do THAT, though? There's a reason this cooler uses 2 different fans: http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/cpu-cooler/fuma2.html
The Fuma 2 CPU cooler comes with two fans, a Kaze Flex 120 and a Kaze Flex Slim 120, which rotate in opposite directions. This creates a higher static pressure and an increased and more stable air flow, as well as contributing to it's low noise profile.

A NF-P12 (120mm 1700) RPM replacing the middle fan on my cooler (Scythe Kaze Flex 1200RPM), and a NF-14s (140mm 1500RPM) as an intake fan. (Noctua fan is roughly 40% better than the Scythe)
Or
Keep the Scythe fan where it is, get two NF-14s (140mm 1500RPM) fans and use them both as intake.
(The other two fans in my system are a Corsair LL120 and a Scythe Kaze Flex Slim, both as exhaust.)
Which configuration would give me better cooling?
OMG, no.
Leave the cpu cooler's fans alone and just change the chassis fans.
If you wanted an RGB cooler, then you should've gotten one from the beginning - OH, that's right. There's a reason the best air coolers don't use RGB fans: because of their higher power consumption, they sacrifice cooling efficiency.

Heck, IF I had your setup, I'd just deck the chassis out in Scythe fans... I'm an anti-LED guy, so ¯\(ツ)

Solution

iSteven_6s

Prominent
Jun 23, 2019
Nice cooler!

OMG, no.
Leave the cpu cooler's fans alone and just change the chassis fans.
If you wanted an RGB cooler, then you should've gotten one from the beginning - OH, that's right. There's a reason the best air coolers don't use RGB fans: because of their higher power consumption, they sacrifice cooling efficiency.

Heck, IF I had your setup, I'd just deck the chassis out in Scythe fans... I'm an anti-LED guy, so ¯\(ツ)
The middle fan of the cooler is the one that spins in the opposite direction, so I can replace the front fan with no ill effects.
I'm aware of this "reverse airflow" thing, but on the other hand, the Noctua moves 40% more air. I'm wondering if that will give better performance.