Fan doesn't spin but LED works

GotRagee

Reputable
Sep 14, 2014
I turn on my computer and my top case fan stopped working randomly, the LED lights still work but the fan wont spin and i checked the cables and everything works but the fan just wont spin, any help?

Anonymouselite5

Distinguished
Okay first try that fan in another fan port header or if you can a molex connector.

If the fan does not spin on the ports that you know work then you know that the fan is the problem, Then you can replace it.
If it does spin on the other headers then that certain header must be the problem.

-Good luck

GotRagee

Reputable
Sep 14, 2014
It was the port that didn't work, I decided to plug it into my motherboard and it ended up working!

Jan 14, 2019

hey so I am having the same issue but I've tried multiple ports and it doesn't work still. Not the ports. I've went into bios and put it to max but still 0rpm. Fan is just brok?

Jan 14, 2019

The magnets in the fan are working. When I manually move the blades, I can feel the attraction

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
That is normal. Those are permanent magnets that do not "shut off". But they interact with electromagnets that are switched on and off in the structure surrounding the motor central core. If anything in the electronics of the motor causes that switching of power to fail, OR if the motor's bearings get so badly worn or dry that they have too much friction, the motor still can fail to turn.