[SOLVED] Fan issue EVGA GTX1060 SSC

Dec 28, 2020
Hello,

I'm having the following issue. I own the card for just about three years now and have developed the issue as seen in the video attached not too long ago. On start-up and idle the gpu is not spinning or very slightly which is normal. It is only when gaming load is applied that the GPU starts to spin one fan to a maximum speed while the other is at 0 RPM trying to spin but seems to struggle. I tried pushing it slightly to get it going to see whether it was a sticky fan but that does not to seem to be the case as even when poking at it it doesn't want to continue spinning (the fan seems to be freely rotating otherwise, maybe not as smooth as the first fan but close enough), possibly why the first fan is at maximum RPM compensating and at that creating a lot of unwanted noise. Also, when using the likes of MSI afterburner to manually overwrite the fan speed, once the speed is cranked up the singular fan automatically goes to 100% and upon resetting the manual speeds the fan sticks and cannot be lowered until the desktop is restarted.
I'm just wondering what can be done to fix this, Thanks in advance.

Solution
Just because it doesn't stick doesn't mean there isn't something wrong, many GPUs use magnetic fans. Could even be the fan connector/wiring on the GPU has a bad connection. You can test this by swapping the fans and see if the problem moves. If it doesn't, then that says it might be the GPUs fan controller.

Still, 100% guaranteed fix would be to use external fans. Then you only need power or your motherboard to control them.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, you can try dodgy replacement fans:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-GTX10...138118?hash=item1f1a3c2f86:g:KmUAAOSwFE5fuaP2

Or just strap some 120mm fans to the cooler after removing the shroud. This is a common fix for failing fans on a GPU and typically works better than the smaller stock fans. Plenty of good youtube videos on the subject from the likes of Linus Tech Tips, Gamer's Nexus, etc.

I've done it with an old Radeon 4850X2, which had dual GPUs, was quieter and cooler until it died some years later.

Reactions: Korrado
Dec 28, 2020
Well, you can try dodgy replacement fans:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-GTX10...138118?hash=item1f1a3c2f86:g:KmUAAOSwFE5fuaP2

Or just strap some 120mm fans to the cooler after removing the shroud. This is a common fix for failing fans on a GPU and typically works better than the smaller stock fans. Plenty of good youtube videos on the subject from the likes of Linus Tech Tips, Gamer's Nexus, etc.

I've done it with an old Radeon 4850X2, which had dual GPUs, was quieter and cooler until it died some years later.

This is assuming the fans have failed? Or is that the diagnosis you're providing me here.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Just because it doesn't stick doesn't mean there isn't something wrong, many GPUs use magnetic fans. Could even be the fan connector/wiring on the GPU has a bad connection. You can test this by swapping the fans and see if the problem moves. If it doesn't, then that says it might be the GPUs fan controller.

Still, 100% guaranteed fix would be to use external fans. Then you only need power or your motherboard to control them.

Solution
Dec 28, 2020

Thanks a lot