Fan speed not adjusting automatically

swell9

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
Hi,

For some reason the fan speed on my ATI 4890 is not going above 35% even though the temps hit up 75 and higher.
I can change the speed manually using speedfan and the temps go down.
But why isn't this being done automatically?
I just intalled latest drivers.

E6600
ATI 4890
4GB RAM
Win 7 64bit

thanks

Solution
Here are examples from CCC and MSI afterburner. In both cases, I circled what you need to look at. You need to uncheck enable manual fan control in CCC and you need to make sure that 'auto' is checked in afterburner or the fan will not automatically ramp up based on temp. You can always use afterburner to set a custom fan profile if you want your card to run a bit cooler. I Find default fan settings could be better.

misfan.jpg

CCCfan.jpg

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
well 75 isn't too high for a video card, i think you are ok, it just try to be silent, probably if it goes over that the coolers speed will increase.
if that wansn't already like that, something could have changed it, maybe some energy profile, or a driver update.
if it is not going to 90º i think you are ok. just make sure your case is well ventilated.

if your case is not well ventilated increasing the fan speed over the "normal" values is an option.

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
75 is not too hot at all. My old 6970 would get as high as 85 degrees if I did not manually increase the fan. I think the 4890 runs around 75 degrees under full load so there is no reason for the fan to ramp up if the card is not getting hot. You also need to set CCC to automatically adjust the fan speed. If I remember correctly, you need to turn off automatic fan control in order to manually change the speed. It is the same for msi afterburner if that is what you are using.

swell9

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
Thanks I will try to clean the vents although I am not sure how this can affect the ability of the fan to detect temperatures.
I will also try to look into the CCC settings.

LOL. Not a solution bro.
And the card is still able to play most new games flawlessly.

auntarie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012

Not a solution, but a fact. Those are usually the symptoms of it happening. There have been a lot of threads on here like this one (similar problems) and dying fan was often the solution. Obviously not in this case though :D

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Here are examples from CCC and MSI afterburner. In both cases, I circled what you need to look at. You need to uncheck enable manual fan control in CCC and you need to make sure that 'auto' is checked in afterburner or the fan will not automatically ramp up based on temp. You can always use afterburner to set a custom fan profile if you want your card to run a bit cooler. I Find default fan settings could be better.

misfan.jpg

CCCfan.jpg

Solution

evildust

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012

I have the exact same problem with a new Radeon HD 7770 OC from Diamond. I must ajust manually the fan speed otherwise Diablo 3 freeze or have weird graphic artifacts on screen.