[SOLVED] Fans for Nzxt H510 case?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GregP74

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
My motherboard won't be here til Wednesday so I'm getting all my other components situated here.

I'm wondering about the cooling in this Nzxt H510 (not i, not elite just the plain one) case. I've got a Noctua DH-15 going in there.

I've read there's not really any advantage to adding more fans on the front of input and just having the top and rear fans for exhaust is ok. Are those Aer F120 (case version) fans decent? Would I be better off replacing them with some good Noctuas? And if I do should I put a 140mm on the top since it can fit?

I figured I should think about this now. It'd be a whole lot easier changing out fans now vs when everything's installed, especially that beast of a cpu cooler.

Solution
https://images.app.goo.gl/vjFPqvFCg7BAQNfm9

The NH-D15 fits. Barely. Although it can become a NH-D15S in a hurry if you have taller than low profile ram. The D15 typically is 5mm taller than the offset D15S. Alternatively, you can slap on a NF-A12x25 for an oversized NH-D14 hybrid and get almost equitable cooling that does clear lower heatsinked ram and doesn't require moving the front fan upwards.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That's what I was curious about. I really don't care much about the RGB. Heck, I was tempted to get a case without a window.
Neither do I. I'm for performance first, aesthetics 'meh'.
Windows are still 'in' for today's chassis. There aren't too many recent models without the window.
I'd rather they ditch the window and bring back the side panel fan - at least that actually did something for the case.

https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Radi...entralb-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUdUnU76158YYwYg&th=1

Something like that would be nice and leave better access to the other stuff in the case than a big air cooler.
Well, liquid coolers aren't without their share of flaws - they both have their pros and cons.

GregP74

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
Windows are still 'in' for today's chassis. There aren't too many recent models without the window.
I'd rather they ditch the window and bring back the side panel fan - at least that actually did something for the case.

Well, liquid coolers aren't without their share of flaws - they both have their pros and cons.

Agreed. I

True, true. I guess it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. I really like the idea of being able to get to everything on the motherboard without that giant heatsink right in the middle, but not keen on having to install all those cords and software for the AIO. (And the albeit small) chance of if spewing water all over.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Evga CLC doesn't have rgb or bloatware. Neither does Fractal Design Celcius. Nzxt has Cam software which is good for running pumps and fans, with no RGB. AlphaCool, Swiftech, EKWB are custom loop manufacturers with aios and no RGB or bloatware.

You generally only find rgb and bloatware with the people competing for popularity. Look beyond that and to performance and rgb is nowhere to be found. Oh wait, that's Noctua.

GregP74

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
Evga CLC doesn't have rgb or bloatware. Neither does Fractal Design Celcius. Nzxt has Cam software which is good for running pumps and fans, with no RGB. AlphaCool, Swiftech, EKWB are custom loop manufacturers with aios and no RGB or bloatware.

You generally only find rgb and bloatware with the people competing for popularity. Look beyond that and to performance and rgb is nowhere to be found. Oh wait, that's Noctua.

Oooh I had not seen the Fractal Design one before. I'm going to have to take a closer look at this!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The FD Celcius uses a custom Asetek pump, but the rad was/is designed in conjunction with AlphaCool, so it has a pedigree. Very decent fans. Very strong performer that's often overlooked because it has no features/software/rgb other than the fact it uses Watercooling standard G1/4 fittings. For an aio, (really a CLC or closed loop cooler) that's awesome. Not only enables the addition of an extra component like a hybrid gpu, but also enables you to refill or replace the coolant after several years, a major flaw in standard aios is coolant levels/gunk after the 5ish year point. Same goes for the Swiftech models, they are customizable too.

GregP74

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2016
I'm not really tied to a blackout. Or to 280mm I suppose.

Actually I'm trying to figure how I'd position one of these things. I'll have a pair of 140mm Noctua NF-A14 pwm intake fans in the front of the Meshify S2, and one for the exhaust.

If I did a 280mm AIO I could probably just have the front noctuas blow on that. They'd be nice a quiet. If I got a 240mm (or with a 280 I guess) I could just stick the whole thing up top and use the AIO fans as exhaust. Wouldn't stay as cool but wouldn't be blowing that warm radiator air at the gpu. Hmmmmm