fastest cpu

Jaxon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hey folk's help , currently have p11 350 , 128 meg ram
abit bx6 440 , what is the fastest processor i can install , abit bios updates only to a p11 600 , can i go higher??? and wait for another bios update to handle more , or will a higher cpu simply not work was hopeing to go to a p111 800

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
its probably a voltage issue, back around the PII 350 days they didn't usually include voltage levels that low.
does it support 1.65 volts in the bios?
you really need to check it on their website...
but I'm betting a 600 w/external cache will be the fastest you can upgrade to.

G

Fastest CPU you can install IS a P3 600 - but the original BX6, like all Abits that followed, incorporates the softmenu, meaning you can overclock, and get a 600 up to 800 if you're lucky.
Only problem you have is that I don't believe the coppermine P3's are compatible with that motherboard, just the original P3's.
There are unlikely to ever be any further BIOS updates for that board, though don't take that as gospel.

Jaxon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
thk's "theshadowman" re:softboot tweeking , are there any good wed sites for instructions for this , or do you or anyone eles have any suggestions?
p11 350 128 ram , bx6 440 mb

G

Well you can start with the no-brainer website www.overclockers.com
That could give you a good start.
Else, lets see.
Well good cooling is a must. I never realised just how important it is, until I got an alpha P3125S P3 Cooler - I was able to get my processor up to 992 from 800 - totally stable.
Also, ensure that, seeing as it is the motherboard fsb you are increasing (unless you have a unlocked P3 in which case you can just increase the multiplier) then you have to ensure you memory can handle the higher speed. If its PC 100 memory, then there is a chance it might not go up to the high bus speed you require.
If its PC 133, then thats not a problem.
If you are confused about any of these issues - follow up this thread.
Good luck.