bukowskaii

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
I have had some problems recently with my build... Problem is that I have been having random lock ups in BIOS, before POST, in Windows, in Ubuntu. Just wherever the hell it feels like it. I could be on the internet, watching a movie, playing a game, it doesn't matter, it just locks up every once in a while.

Recently the problem expanded to not having Video in the BIOS unless I hit Del to get into the actual menu or it simply won't post at all.

When I have it down to bare components (PSU, Video Card, CPU, MOBO, RAM) and it still locks up in BIOS and Ubuntu (if i boot off my flash drive)

PSU is a Corsair 650W
Video Card is a Sapphire HD5770
CPU is a Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz, B0 Steppings
MOBO is an ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo
Ram is 2x2GB GSkill DDR2

Now I've done the following to rule stuff out:

PSU - Took a multimeter and measured the rails using a paperclip trick to short out the two pins. All rails came up with the correct readings according to the manual.

Video Card - This was the first suspected culprit, so I immediately RMA'ed it after the issues started. they sent me back a different one and the problem persisted so I swapped out with an Nvidia 8500GT (known working good in a previous build) and it still locks up.

RAM - Did 10+ sweeps of the ram (Memtest86) and no bad modules, tried one stick at a time, still locks up.

So basically I'm down to the CPU or the MOBO... The problem is that I immediately suspected he MOBO because honestly, I've never heard of the CPU being the culprit, so I had the MOBO tested, and they said it was a bad capacitor so problem solved right? Wrong. I RMA'ed it and they said it tested clean so no repairs were made. So now I am assuming its got to be the CPU, but all the research I've done has said the when a CPU fails it will either have no post, no beeps, no screen, or it will fail predictably on certain tasks, not all over the place how I'm seeing it.. Is there any way to know for sure without swapping out for a different socket 775 processor (because I don't have one) or a different mobo (because, once again, I don't have one)?

Thanks in advance for all your replies and help.

EDIT: All parts are known to be compatible in someone else's build
I already have the most recent BIOS
I have already ruled out overheating as a problem, temps never break 35C and are usually sitting around 25C

bukowskaii

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011

Yeah, it was running for a couple months with no problems, and I know of other people with this type of build (Q6600 on a P5Q with 5770 or 5780).. when I moved to Lubbock is when it started messing up so I'm thinking something got messed up in the move, I just don't know what

And the hard drives are fine, it freezes without them so they aren't the culprit

bukowskaii

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011

I was going to flash bios at one point, but I already had the most recent so there was no need to

Temps are sitting right around 25C, no way its over heating

bukowskaii

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Ok, I think I figured out the problem... The CPU cooler back plate is metal (with foam insulation) but there were leads that seemed to be going all the way through the foam and shorting out on the metal plate. Does this seem reasonable for what it was doing? I switched to a different cooler and haven't had a lockup since... It's just hard to think that something this simple could be causing such a headache... Please see images and provide input...

HNOSG.jpg

Additional Images

bukowskaii

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011

It was luck. I was preparing to order a new board (Phenom x4) so I had put the AM3 brackets on the cooler causing the problem. I then said... well lets try one more time, but instead of switching the brackets back, I just grabbed a spare cooler and threw it on.

In case anyone is wondering, the cooler at fault is a "Scythe Mugen2"

A lot of people love these coolers and have tons of success, but not recommended with an ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo MB :lol: