Question Faulty DRAM Or Memory Controller?

Aug 10, 2024
So I tried to OC my Corsair Vengence LPX 3600 MHz CL16 4x8 gb RAM kit but got crazy instabily issues, couldn't boot and if I did BSOD immediately. I went on to remove the OC and even clear the cmos but the instability remained in the form extremely frequent BSODs. Since it was a new computer with no personal information on it I decided to format both SSDs, delete all partitions and reinstall Windows. I did this on the other SSD this time just to see if it was a storage problem.

Now with a fresh Windows install and new BIOS update (figured I might aswell) I booted up and had the same issue. I have now been checking each stick of RAM in each slot to see if any of them were dead, but all I got was extreme inconsistency. One stick refused to work in one slot but a power cycle later and no problems, this happend with all sticks and slots.

To say that I am dumdfounded would be an understatement. If you have any idea what the problem is please share you knowledge.

Aug 10, 2024
Hey there,

Please list your full PC specs. Make and model of everything.

When you cleared CMOS what exactly did you do?
Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX (4 x 8GB) 3600MHz C18
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: EK-AIO 240
GPU: Gigabyte Vision OC RTX 3080
PSU: Corsair SF600

When clearing the CMOS I turned off the system, turned off PSU, held the power button for around 15 sec, removed side panel and shorted the CLRTC pins with a screwdriver.