[SOLVED] Faulty GPU?

Sep 2, 2019
Hi guys,

since recently I started encountering problems with my GPU.

At first it started when I tried to play some games that were a bit more GPU intensive. Everything works fine for ~10 minutes and then everything crashes. Either my PC goes for a Reboot or it is stuck or I have weird pixelated screen. The funny things is, when I tried to play less intensive GPU games, everything worked fine (ex. CIV 5)

My PC at this time was still able to detect my GPU, so I did go ahead and did some testing with FurMark. Since FurMark is fairly agressive, I expected some crashes and it did. The crashes were kinda constant when my GPU Temps reached ~65°C, which is not good, since I read that my GPU worktemp should be around 90°C.

Here is a screenshot from MSI Afterburner, when I 'played' Rainbow Six Siege for around 10-15 Minutes : View: https://imgur.com/a/5AoOkxK

The top two rows are : Temps in C and Usage in %.

After couple of tests, I stopped doing anything further and went to sleep. On the next day, when I turned my PC on, my PC was not being able to detect my GPU anymore. And then following problems started to occur.

Also I would like to mention, that all of that started to happen with the new Windows update (Vers. 1903).

Problems consist of :
  1. Weird pixelated ( small amounts, but noticable ) screen. Also I would like to say, that the pixelated screen is reproducable! If I turn down my PC, wait couple seconds and turn it back on, I will not get a pixelated screen. Only when I RESTART my PC, I get this weird screen.
  2. Device Manager saying : The device was stopped, because of an error ( Code 43 ). I read that is because of drivers, but I cant do much about this, since Im not able to install drivers at all.
  3. GPU not being 'detected' at all ( ex. MSI Afterburner or FurMark )
  4. Not being able to install drivers
What i've tried so far to fix this :
  1. Reinstalling drivers and downgrading drivers. Always the same problem as mentioned above, does not matter the driver version. ( Correctly installed and uninstalled drivers using safe mode and DDU )
  2. Checking for temps (CPU & GPU )
  3. Reinstalled Win10

My Specs :
CPU : i5 4460
GPU : GTX 760
Mainboard : ASRock B85M Pro3
PSU : BeQuiet! System Power B8 550W
8 Gb RAM

Could it be, that my GPU is dying? Or could it be something else?
Any help would be appreciated :)!

Thank you very much!

Solution
Device Manager saying : The device was stopped, because of an error ( Code 43 ). I read that is because of drivers, but I cant do much about this, since Im not able to install drivers at all.

By the way, this Error code 43 is a generic message that typically indicates a problem with the hardware or software in Windows operating system. This error is often reported in Windows Device Manager. If you encounter this error with your graphics card, here are some troubleshooting ideas that may help fix it.

1) Update your graphics card driver.

2) Make sure your system is updated with the latest SBIOS and Windows updates

3) Check to make sure your system power supply meets the minimum recommended power requirement for your...
From your description, this does indeed sound like a sign of a Faulty GPU. Especially if you are getting "artifacts" on the screen, including those pixels. Most probably a GPU VRAM issue.

Though, this also sounds like a power supply issue to me. How OLD is your PSU ?

Device Manager saying : The device was stopped, because of an error ( Code 43 ). I read that is because of drivers, but I cant do much about this, since Im not able to install drivers at all.

By the way, this Error code 43 is a generic message that typically indicates a problem with the hardware or software in Windows operating system. This error is often reported in Windows Device Manager. If you encounter this error with your graphics card, here are some troubleshooting ideas that may help fix it.

3) Check to make sure your system power supply meets the minimum recommended power requirement for your card

4) If your card needs additional power, make sure the PCIe supplemental power connector is plugged into the card

5) Replace the graphics card as it may be defective

Code 43 can mostly happens either if drivers fail or the hardware fails. Other option is that your GPU or motherboard slot failed. If your motherboard has more then one PCIe x16 slot, you can move GPU to another slot to rule out motherboard failure. Or you should test GPU in another machine to confirm that problem lies in the card.

Your GPU might be faulty, but before we jump on any conclusion, can you TEST the Video card on some other PC ? Can you install the GPU drivers ?

Clear and reset ALL the CMOS/BIOS settings to default, and then try again.

The above Error code 43 can be reported anytime when Windows does not recognize a device – whether it's a USB port, Hard drive, video card/GPU, or any other piece of hardware connected to the computer. Most of the time, error code 43 means that a device driver is either missing, corrupt, and/or outdated (so Windows has problems communicating properly with the hardware), or the hardware is faulty and needs to be replaced.

Can you properly boot your current system/OS, by using the 'Integrated Graphics processor' of your current Motherboard, assuming your board supports it ? Do you still get the same problem ? And, what about SAFE MODE ?

Solution
Sep 2, 2019
From your description, this does indeed sound like a sign of a Faulty GPU. Especially if you are getting "artifacts" on the screen, including those pixels. Most probably a GPU VRAM issue.

Though, this also sounds like a power supply issue to me. How OLD is your PSU ?

Yeah, I thought aswell that my PSU might be the issue. Im I recall correct, I bought my PSU brand new around 3-4 years ago.

Unfortunately, I cant update drivers, as it wont let me. Im not sure what the issue here would be. Everytime I reinstall drivers, it wants to update them again to the same version. Downgrading to older drivers did also not help

My windows is up to date and regarding my bios, I could try to update it and see if it helps.

3) Check to make sure your system power supply meets the minimum recommended power requirement for your card

When I was buying my PC Components, I tried to make everything work well together, and I remember talking with a tech-guy and he recommended getting this PSU for me. Im pretty sure, that the minimum recommended power should be enough for my GPU as it was working wonderfully previously.

4) If your card needs additional power, make sure the PCIe supplemental power connector is plugged into the card

My GPU runs on 6Pins + 6+2Pins. I guess that the +2 Pins are what the PCIe supplemental power connector is. Correct me if im wrong please :)

5) Replace the graphics card as it may be defective

Code 43 can mostly happens either if drivers fail or the hardware fails. Other option is that your GPU or motherboard slot failed. If your motherboard has more then one PCIe x16 slot, you can move GPU to another slot to rule out motherboard failure. Or you should test GPU in another machine to confirm that problem lies in the card.

Your GPU might be faulty, but before we jump on any conclusion, can you TEST the Video card on some other PC ? Can you install the GPU drivers ?

I will test it at a friends house asap.

Clear and reset ALL the CMOS/BIOS settings to default, and then try again.

The above Error code 43 can be reported anytime when Windows does not recognize a device – whether it's a USB port, Hard drive, video card/GPU, or any other piece of hardware connected to the computer. Most of the time, error code 43 means that a device driver is either missing, corrupt, and/or outdated (so Windows has problems communicating properly with the hardware), or the hardware is faulty and needs to be replaced.

Can you properly boot your current system/OS, by using the 'Integrated Graphics processor' of your current Motherboard, assuming your board supports it ? Do you still get the same problem ? And, what about SAFE MODE ?

Safe mode runs just fine, without any problems. My system boots just fine without any problems ( I can watch videos on youtube, twitch or play small flash games. ) But as soon as I start to boot up something more intensive, I get problems.

Thank you for your fast reply! I tried to answer as much as possible in your replies :)

Fros78

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
I Had the same exact problem when running games under load it would either get a blank screen or the pc will just reboot, at first i changed out my PSU because i was using a really janky one, then it appeared again after several months, i have a strix 970 and the moment i took my OC off the problem went away immediately, i was running a +150 on the core and +300 on the memory and it didnt have any issues for quite some time. Im not getting any artifacts though, your GPU might aswell be on the way out

Sep 2, 2019
I Had the same exact problem when running games under load it would either get a blank screen or the pc will just reboot, at first i changed out my PSU because i was using a really janky one, then it appeared again after several months, i have a strix 970 and the moment i took my OC off the problem went away immediately, i was running a +150 on the core and +300 on the memory and it didnt have any issues for quite some time. Im not getting any artifacts though, your GPU might aswell be on the way out

Thank you for your reply! I actually never OC my GPU since im way to unknowledable about this topic to try it on my own.

Fros78

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
In MSI afterburner make sure you increase the power limit for the GPU to the maximum. I Had a issue where my thermal paste was so old that the moment the GPU went under stress it would increase the temps from like 30 to 85 in a second and will immediately shut down. You could always try changing your thermal paste, the 750 is a bit older card now and if you never changed out the thermal paste that could be the issue to your shutdowns.

Sep 2, 2019
In MSI afterburner make sure you increase the power limit for the GPU to the maximum. I Had a issue where my thermal paste was so old that the moment the GPU went under stress it would increase the temps from like 30 to 85 in a second and will immediately shut down. You could always try changing your thermal paste, the 750 is a bit older card now and if you never changed out the thermal paste that could be the issue to your shutdowns.
Just go to msi afterburner and click on the round arrow button between settings and apply buttons and click apply

Unfortunately, I am not able to change any settings since my GPU is not being detected at all. Here is a current Screenshot from HWMonitor and MSI Afterburner at the same time : View: https://imgur.com/a/l2HqKVG

Sep 2, 2019
OH my that's not goot! Download the vga driver from your motherboard support page and see if that changes anything. Do oyu have an old gpu laying around that you can test to see if it is the slot or your gpu that is not working?

I tested the slot with an old GPU I have, and it works without any problems. I will try with the vga driver for my mainboard :). Thank you for your help!