[SOLVED] Faulty PSU? ( Corsair AX1200I )

May 2, 2021
Ok, can anyone help me? specs:- rampage VI extreme i9 7980XE 1080ti poseidon 64GB DDR4 CORSAIR PRO RGB corsair AX1200i PSU My pc will run perfect fine then just switch off completely - it seem to try and re-start for all of 1 second and stop again. it seems to run longer when on the web (youtube/ facebook etc) but when i play games (only really play PUBG) after 3-4 it cuts off. when it first happened i went to my mates house thinking it was the PSU - we plugged in it at his and it worked ok again. i went to a local store and bought a replacement kettle leaad assuming it must of been a faulty lead causing the issue but it has not done it again (only difference being now i have the new lead it will come back and work for 30-40 mins before shutting off again) Am i right in thinking this is the PSU? i think i am going to buy one and try it out? if it was the motherboard or CPU would it not fault different apposed to work perfectly then just shut off? i have downloaded the MSI after-burner and checked my temps as it is water cooled it is sitting around 50 deg CPU and 53 deg GPU (google suggest this is fine) Any help would be great, Thanks, Tom.

Solution
Yes the light should be on and green(atleast the one on mine is). Possibly a problem with the PSU. Run the PSU self test. To do this switch the psu off, disconnect all the modular cables and the corsair link cable then switch it back on and press the self test button.
May 2, 2021
ok @refillable

I did what you mentioned in the link, the computer ran for 1hr 30mins ish then completely shut off, it wouldn't re-start straight away.

I turned it off at the wall went and made a cuppa come back and it turned on, it went straight to my normal desktop with no blue screen of death errors/ messages (BSOD)

Does this mean everything else is ok and it is my PSU?

Thanks in advance,
Tom.

bignastyid

Titan
Yes the light should be on and green(atleast the one on mine is). Possibly a problem with the PSU. Run the PSU self test. To do this switch the psu off, disconnect all the modular cables and the corsair link cable then switch it back on and press the self test button.

Solution
Ok, can anyone help me?

specs:- rampage VI extreme i9 7980XE 1080ti poseidon 64GB DDR4 CORSAIR PRO RGB corsair AX1200i PSU

My pc will run perfect fine then just switch off completely - it seem to try and re-start for all of 1 second and stop again. it seems to run longer when on the web (youtube/ facebook etc) but when i play games (only really play PUBG) after 3-4 it cuts off.

when it first happened i went to my mates house thinking it was the PSU - we plugged in it at his and it worked ok again. i went to a local store and bought a replacement kettle leaad assuming it must of been a faulty lead causing the issue but it has not done it again (only difference being now i have the new lead it will come back and work for 30-40 mins before shutting off again)

Am i right in thinking this is the PSU? i think i am going to buy one and try it out? if it was the motherboard or CPU would it not fault different apposed to work perfectly then just shut off? i have downloaded the MSI after-burner and checked my temps as it is water cooled it is sitting around 50 deg CPU and 53 deg GPU (google suggest this is fine) Any help would be great, Thanks, Tom.

Sounds like something overheating and it could quite possibly be the PSU. Does the PSU fan run at any time? What case is it installed in and what is the orientation? Fan up? Fan down?

May 2, 2021

what a nightmare that was,

it shut off again (no lights)

i disconnect all the wires and pressed the self test button, it clicked and clicked again - it done this several times then clicked and ran for a little bit

the bulb must be broken as i get no red or green light on self test.

i think i will replace the PSU with a 'used' AX1200i from online since it appears they dont make them anymore and i dont fancy re-wiring the whole rig as it is all tidy.

thanks for the advice guys

May 2, 2021
Sounds like something overheating and it could quite possibly be the PSU. Does the PSU fan run at any time? What case is it installed in and what is the orientation? Fan up? Fan down?

case is a corsair 570x mirror edition orientation is fan down blowing out case.

i think i will take my chances on a replacement PSU same as the current one so i can swap it like for like myself - apposed to paying through my nose for a shop to do it

case is a corsair 570x mirror edition orientation is fan down blowing out case.

Actually, the PSU fan sucks air in. It doesn't blow out.

the fan is not running should it be? or does it not run all the time?

You can turn the fan on in iCUE so it runs all of the time. See if that helps.

Alternately, that case has ventilation on the top of the PSU shroud, so you can rotate the PSU so the fan is pointing up and heat rises away from the PSU's PCB.

May 2, 2021
Actually, the PSU fan sucks air in. It doesn't blow out.

You can turn the fan on in iCUE so it runs all of the time. See if that helps.

Alternately, that case has ventilation on the top of the PSU shroud, so you can rotate the PSU so the fan is pointing up and heat rises away from the PSU's PCB.

where abouts is it in i-cue i can't seem to see it?

May 2, 2021
no no no no no... That's not what I asked.

DO YOU have the USB CABLE attached going from the PSU to the MOTHERBOARD?

i'm going to say no this cable is not attached? could you show me a picture of this cable?

is it possible the company who did the build never installed it 2.5 years ago or is this required for the system to work?

i'm going to say no this cable is not attached? could you show me a picture of this cable?

is it possible the company who did the build never installed it 2.5 years ago or is this required for the system to work?

Where all of the cables plug into the front of your PSU, there is also a four pin labeled "COMM/PORT that goes to the internal USB header on your motherboard.

Sounds like you need to take your PC to someone that knows their way around a PC.

May 2, 2021
Where all of the cables plug into the front of your PSU, there is also a four pin labeled "COMM/PORT that goes to the internal USB header on your motherboard.

Sounds like you need to take your PC to someone that knows their way around a PC.

This cable is 100% not present in my PC.

As for the second half of your comment i wouldn't be here if i had sufficient funds to do so - i thought that was the point in this forum, people with more experience try and help others.

as for the psu work 6-7 hrs straight yesterday then the computer shut of again - didn't game all day?

As for the second half of your comment i wouldn't be here if i had sufficient funds to do so - i thought that was the point in this forum, people with more experience try and help others.

Ok. Well, didn't sound like you really knew what to look for, thus the comment.

So the cable's not there. That's not good. Whoever built the PC screwed you there. I would just try rotating the PSU in the case so the fan is pointing up and heat can rise away from the PCB. I'm still pretty convinced we're talking about a heat issue.