Feeling electric shock via connected components like pendrive, mobile phone and headphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegreatvinay

Reputable
Jan 10, 2016
Hi everyone,

I have Seasonic 450w psu, i7 6700k, corsair 8GB RAM and a 1 TB harddisk with Netwin V2 cooler. There is no other components or graphic card.

Initially I felt electric shock over the case. The PSU came with two pin so I swapped with my monitor which have 3 pins. So now the problem is solved and no electric shock over the cabinet, But when I connect a pendrive made up of metal or my Sony xperia z1 which have metal frame, I am feeling very intense feeling of electricity. I am just putting down the mobile phone and removing it from the pc with my legs up in a wood..

I even feel this with the headphone. A small tear in the headset connected to the pc giving me a shock. I thought it may be due to the monitor and i turned off. But no luck yet. There is no much components or wiring. I read around 4 - 5 threads but I feel my case is different here. Can anyone help me ?

Solution
If the case is earthed via the power cord connected to the Psu of the system.
If the wall socket you use is in the uk, it the chassis or computer case will be earthed to ground.

Then what you are feeling if it lasts for a few seconds when touching any bare metal part of the case not painted, or sprayed.

Is the static buildup in your body discharging to earth or ground.
If it stops after the first touching of the case it is as said initial static build up charge leaving your own body.
If the tingling sensation is constant then it relates to a bad earthing point.

Any access charge not expected is routed to earth or ground as an electrical safety precaution for over voltage, short circuit protection or power surges of a very high amount.
If the case is earthed via the power cord connected to the Psu of the system.
If the wall socket you use is in the uk, it the chassis or computer case will be earthed to ground.

Then what you are feeling if it lasts for a few seconds when touching any bare metal part of the case not painted, or sprayed.

Is the static buildup in your body discharging to earth or ground.
If it stops after the first touching of the case it is as said initial static build up charge leaving your own body.
If the tingling sensation is constant then it relates to a bad earthing point.

Any access charge not expected is routed to earth or ground as an electrical safety precaution for over voltage, short circuit protection or power surges of a very high amount.

Solution

thegreatvinay

Reputable
Jan 10, 2016

So I have to call a electrician !!! Better than getting shocks. Thank you so much for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS