[SOLVED] Few questions because I want to replace the PSU

May 3, 2020
So basically, my PSU doesnt have enough power and is too old for my whole system to work how it should. Games usually crash without pop up box,n sometimes screen just goes black for few seconds. I already posted few threads about this and I have a final question. Is it worth it and how long is replacing PSU? (tips for replacing would be really good)
I already found a PSU which will I buy ( https://www.hgshop.hr/napajanje-seasonic-focus-plus-550-gold-550w-modularno-80-gold/proizvod/234421 )
And if I need to say my specs here you go:
i5 750
RX 470
8 GB RAM
500 HDD
ASRock P55M Pro
ATX Switching PSU LC420H-12 V1.3 (That old PSU with 420 watts)

Solution
The Seasonic Focus Plus is an excellent model, and 550W should be plenty for your system.

Replacing is pretty straightforward, although any particular difficulties would be mostly due to case layout, especially if there are any tight confines or awkward areas that you have to run wires. Just be slow and methodical, and everything should be fine. Where you need to be most careful is in the 24-pin connection to the motherboard - try to use your fingers to support the edge of the board (if the 24-pin connector is near the edge), and make sure it's seated down all the way.

Don't forget the CPU EPS connector (4 or 8 pin) if your board has one.

Side note: you weren't kidding about your old PSU. It may claim to be 420W, but if this is...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The Seasonic Focus Plus is an excellent model, and 550W should be plenty for your system.

Replacing is pretty straightforward, although any particular difficulties would be mostly due to case layout, especially if there are any tight confines or awkward areas that you have to run wires. Just be slow and methodical, and everything should be fine. Where you need to be most careful is in the 24-pin connection to the motherboard - try to use your fingers to support the edge of the board (if the 24-pin connector is near the edge), and make sure it's seated down all the way.

Side note: you weren't kidding about your old PSU. It may claim to be 420W, but if this is the correct webpage for it:

Then note the +12V rail being only 15A. 15x12 = 180... effectively it's really only 180 watts. Yikes!

Solution
May 3, 2020

Side note: you weren't kidding about your old PSU. It may claim to be 420W, but if this is the correct webpage for it:

Then note the +12V rail being only 15A. 15x12 = 180... effectively it's really only 180 watts. Yikes!
Thanks for help. I only assumed it was 420 watts but oh God 180 watts is too low.
Have a nice day!

Reactions: King_V
Replacing a psu is not difficult if you are careful.
First unplug your pc from the wall.
I might suggest that you first take a photo of all the psu connectors that you have now.
You will be replacing them exactly.
Power supply connectors are keyed so that they fit only one way.
Do not force anything.
The pins will be in square and rounded holes so you can tell,
The seasonic focus is an excellent pick.
It is modular which means that you need to plug one end of a cable into the appropriate place in the psu as well as the proper place on the motherboard or graphics card. Pay attention to this. Look at the psu manual.
One problem I always have in replacing a psu is getting the main 24 pin connector off.
There is a latch on it that must be opened while you lift the cable out of the socket.
Do not pull on the cable. I find that I usually have to use a small thin screwdriver to pry apart the parts
The main and eps cpu connectors will have latches. Check that after insertion that the connectors are fully inserted . Closing the latch insures that they are secure.
When all is done, do not forget to plug in and turn on the new psu.

Ferimer

Distinguished
So basically, my PSU doesnt have enough power and is too old for my whole system to work how it should. Games usually crash without pop up box,n sometimes screen just goes black for few seconds. I already posted few threads about this and I have a final question. Is it worth it and how long is replacing PSU? (tips for replacing would be really good)
I already found a PSU which will I buy ( https://www.hgshop.hr/napajanje-seasonic-focus-plus-550-gold-550w-modularno-80-gold/proizvod/234421 )
And if I need to say my specs here you go:
i5 750
RX 470
8 GB RAM
500 HDD
ASRock P55M Pro
ATX Switching PSU LC420H-12 V1.3 (That old PSU with 420 watts)
PSU isn't the only thing i would be replacing and or upgrading either. You should look into getting a bit more Ram and a Larger HDD if you want to be playing newer games

May 3, 2020
PSU isn't the only thing i would be replacing and or upgrading either. You should look into getting a bit more Ram and a Larger HDD if you want to be playing newer games
nah,i only want gta v and some other a bit older things.
my specs can run gta v on minimum settings and i dont see that as a problem