SMM2469

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Hey Guys. I have Windows XP Pro currently along with Office Professional 2007. I would like to upgrade to Windows Vista, but I want to do a fresh format and install on my current hard drive. I need to backup certain files from certain programs on my current setup that I dare not to lose, but I am not sure what files to backup or where to get them from.

Firstly, I need to backup my address book and ALL my emails from Outlook 2007. What files do I need to backup and from where?

Next, what will I need to do for Office 2007, I have used the CD key twice, and I do not think it will let me re-install it again?

I am still working on others I need to backup, but I will keep you all updated if I need to know anything else...

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
E Mail programs like Outlook Express and Thundbird and I would think Outlook allows you to export you Address Book and E Mail, probably under the File or Tool menu. As for the CD key, you should be able to call Microsoft and they'll reactivate the program. I've done this with numerous programs when I've had to reinstall Windows including the Windows for various reasons. To be absolutely sure, call Microsoft, they have a special activation phone number, which comes up after install telling you if you want to activate it, you have to particular. A lot of smaller software companies just do it via an E Mail request.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I'd recommend you to use True Image 10 because it can backup both Outlook files and Windows' applications

This definitely is another option but I think you'd have to do an upgrade to Vista rather than a clean install because a clean install would still wipe everything out.

pcjim

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
I do this all the time - 1st you will need to be able to see the folders and files - several are hidden by default - in windows explorer menu, tools - folder options - (view tab) click show hidden files and folders and UNcheck hide protected system operating system files.
Here are the location for what you asked for and some other ones you might consider (as the other gentleman mentioned most of these can be exported out and then imported in once you reinstall the OS)
for outlook files - C:\Documents and Settings\*YOUR PC NAME*\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
Save your desktop and icons - C:\Documents and Settings\*YOUR PC NAME*\Desktop
Address book - C:\Documents and Settings\*YOUR PC NAME*\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book
Internet favorites - C:\Documents and Settings\*YOUR PC NAME*\Favorites
You can copy them to a cd, thumb drive etc. then paste them back into the folders after you have re-installed the OS (windows will create some by default) so at the prompt overright the existing file(s) with the one you saved.