Question File block system

Oblivion77

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
Hello

I have a SSD and USB drives.

Is the the file block system on those the same as on an HDD?

Can a block hold parts of two different files?
File A - block 1 2 3 4
File B - block 4 5 6 7

Which scenarios will relocate / move data from a block to another?
Drive optimize / defragment?
Delete file (Windows marks the block as "free"), and then the block get overwritten by new data later?

Thank you

Ralston18

Titan
Your post appears very much to be a homework question or test question(s).

Forum rules prohibit assistance with homework and test questions.

Your questions may not be homework, etc., but there is no way to know from this end.

Here is what you need to do:

Answer the questions with what you believe to be the correct answers and cite references and sources for those answers.

Post your answers accordingly and request comment. Show "your work".

Oblivion77

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
Your post appears very much to be a homework question or test question(s).

Forum rules prohibit assistance with homework and test questions.

Your questions may not be homework, etc., but there is no way to know from this end.

Here is what you need to do:

Answer the questions with what you believe to be the correct answers and cite references and sources for those answers.

Post your answers accordingly and request comment. Show "your work".
This is not homework or work related

I finished my studies many years ago

This is purely personal interest

Ralston18

Titan
Well and good - it still remains that there is no way to truly know the situation.

Being a matter of personal interest then do some additional research on your own and simply post what you believe to be the answers.

You will learn more by doing so (aka "teach a person to fish") and what you post will hopefully garner additional posts with more information and comments.

The problem here is not the question itself, but not specifying what file system. Because different file system handles data differently.

If it turns out that OP is talking Windows systems only, then it is a problem because the inner working of file system (e.g. source code) is not public available. However - in *nix world, the source code for most file system is available for anybody that want to investigate it.

Oblivion77

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
The problem here is not the question itself, but not specifying what file system. Because different file system handles data differently.

If it turns out that OP is talking Windows systems only, then it is a problem because the inner working of file system (e.g. source code) is not public available. However - in *nix world, the source code for most file system is available for anybody that want to investigate it.
Would you try to answer some of my questions?

Thank you

Would you try to answer some of my questions?
No, not unless you're more specific on what file systems you have in mind.

You state "the file block system" and build your question about that. Wait, let me search web and see If I've missed the definition.

Ok, is this school work?

Wikipedia says - link.
Most file systems are based on a block device
And by that I have the ground to ask you to be more specific.

Btw : If you spend some time digging in to wikipedia, especially the file system comparison - here. Most probably, the answer to your question is right there.

Oblivion77

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
No, not unless you're more specific on what file systems you have in mind.

You state "the file block system" and build your question about that. Wait, let me search web and see If I've missed the definition.

Ok, is this school work?

Wikipedia says - link.

And by that I have the ground to ask you to be more specific.

Btw : If you spend some time digging in to wikipedia, especially the file system comparison - here. Most probably, the answer to your question is right there.
Now I have conducted more research, so hopefully, you may be able to help me further.

My questions are regarding NAND flash with NTFS:

A block contain pages.
Can a page contain data from more than 1 file / 2 files share a page?

A flash memory cell can be single to quad, containing 1-4 bit.
Can a cell with more than 1 bit, contain data from more than 1 file / 2 files share a cell?

If I have a NAND flash drive, and never delete any files on it.
When will data be moved around? Only when I start editing files or deleting files?

Thank you

Last edited: