[SOLVED] File explorer causing sudden high cpu usage for a few seconds

Oct 12, 2020
I have a i7 3770 with GTX 1050ti and 16 gb ram..used to work fine with me. But few days ago, I started facing a problem. My pc would freeze for a few seconds due to extreme cpu usage. After monitoring, I found that file explorer takes up the cpu to peak for the a few seconds causing it to freeze. It happens almost every minute. I tried cleaning up dust in hardware, change thermal paste, update all softwares and drivers and run antivirus. Nothing worked. Does someone has a solution?

Oct 12, 2020
I have a i7 3770 with GTX 1050ti and 16 gb ram..used to work fine with me. But few days ago, I started facing a problem. My pc would freeze for a few seconds due to extreme cpu usage. After monitoring, I found that file explorer takes up the cpu to peak for the a few seconds causing it to freeze. It happens almost every minute. I tried cleaning up dust in hardware, change thermal paste, update all softwares and drivers and run antivirus. Nothing worked. Does someone has a solution?
Even tried clearing temporary files

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
You can blame uncle billy for this one. Can I ask if explorer resets it self? Do the start menu icons dissapear or desktop icons when this happens? It could be a malware but Im not guaranteeing you it is. When did this problem start? Can you give me some detail about your OS version and please give me some system specs so we can help you better? I also assume you have checked for malware and viruses and what not.👶💯🎗✝

Colif

Win 11 Master
See if it happens in safe mode

go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu

choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

If it happens in safe mode, its likely hardware. I would scan drives.

if it doesn't happen in safe mode, it could either be a driver problem, a start up program or the 3rd choice, the cause doesn't happen in safe mode because its less stressing on PC compared to normal mode.

to check startup programs, do a clean boot
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

op said he checked Antivirus.