[SOLVED] Final thoughts on my build?

yair10

Commendable
Mar 31, 2017
After asking around for some time, I finally got the specs for the new rig I'm getting! All I want is to hear some final thoughts about stuff I might have missed. FYI, I'm not planning on changing parts unless some really big mistake will be found.

Specs are:
AMD Six Core Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz AM4 BOX
Be quiet! PURE ROCK SLIM
G.Skill Aegis 2x8GB 3000Mhz DDR4
MSI B450M PRO - VDH V2
ASUS GeForce RTX2060 6G Up to 1740MHz TUF GAMING OC
Toshiba OCZ SSD TR200 240G 3DNand Read 555MB/s | Write 540MB/s
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM
FSP HYN 550W Active PFC 80% Efficiency 3 Years Warrany
ANTEC NX500 TEMPERED GLASS RGB
Windows 10 64bit

Thanks in advanced!

Solution
I'm actually ordering the system from a store. I checked, and they can do the update for me before I'm coming to pickup the system. So they will update the bios for me, and I don't need to worry.

Anything else?
Yeah, actually. Stick with the Ryzen 3600's stock cooler - it's totally fine even on a 3700X - and use the money you were going to waste on a crap SSD model, and get a more reliable one, such as:
Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
OR
Intel 660p 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

yair10

Commendable
Mar 31, 2017
You picked one of the few Msi B450 mobos that does not have the bios flashback feature, so this needs to change.
I'm actually ordering the system from a store. I checked, and they can do the update for me before I'm coming to pickup the system. So they will update the bios for me, and I don't need to worry.

Anything else?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

Anything else?
Yeah, actually. Stick with the Ryzen 3600's stock cooler - it's totally fine even on a 3700X - and use the money you were going to waste on a crap SSD model, and get a more reliable one, such as:
Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
OR
Intel 660p 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Reactions: vMax
Solution

yair10

Commendable
Mar 31, 2017
Agree on the cooler and the SSD should be changed to a NVMe like the 660p if at all possible.
The 2 ssd options you suggested are out of the budget, but what's the problem with the thosiba ssd? My brother have it and I didn't hear him complain. I guess it's not the fastest/best but I'm not searching for the best.

Now on the cooler subject, I chose an after market cooler because I heard that ryzen can get kinda hot, and I prefer to get a better cooler because my room could get toasty during the day.

Nonetheless, I appreciate you suggestions and replies, any other thing you want to add?

The 2 ssd options you suggested are out of the budget, but what's the problem with the thosiba ssd? My brother have it and I didn't hear him complain. I guess it's not the fastest/best but I'm not searching for the best.

Now on the cooler subject, I chose an after market cooler because I heard that ryzen can get kinda hot, and I prefer to get a better cooler because my room could get toasty during the day.

Nonetheless, I appreciate you suggestions and replies, any other thing you want to add?

No problems at all. The reason on the NVMe SSD especially the Intel 660p is it tends to be cheap but then again it might be a lot more in your country or just out of budget. As to the CPU cooler, for the 3600, you will have no issues whatsoever and it is actually a fairly good out of the box CPU cooler. Save the money....

EDIT - Just realised you are in a hot country...if so, yep, go the better CPU cooler....

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
'You get what you pay for' applies in many a situation, and it applies to this Toshiba SSD as well - these 'very affordable' dram-less SSDs:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybIXsrLCgdM

The case is relatively new, so I can't find any reviews on it... but I have to question just how 'airflow friendly' it is.
If you already live in a warm climate, and have a case with poor airflow, the difference between the Ryzen stock cooler and an aftermarket one isn't going to be impressive.
That model also has a psu shroud - doesn't look like it's removable either - those things have already been proven to increase gpu temps, along with other things:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwvfRwFx7ZM

yair10

Commendable
Mar 31, 2017
'You get what you pay for' applies in many a situation, and it applies to this Toshiba SSD as well - these 'very affordable' dram-less SSDs:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybIXsrLCgdM

The case is relatively new, so I can't find any reviews on it... but I have to question just how 'airflow friendly' it is.
If you already live in a warm climate, and have a case with poor airflow, the difference between the Ryzen stock cooler and an aftermarket one isn't going to be impressive.
That model also has a psu shroud - doesn't look like it's removable either - those things have already been proven to increase gpu temps, along with other things:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwvfRwFx7ZM
OK, checked again about the ssd, i can change it to M.2 NVMe XPG 256G SX8200 PRO, for a little bit more money, but it seems better (it has dram :)

about the case airflow, it seemed OK for me. the only video i could find of it is in Indian (?), but according to what i can see the case have a lot of room to breath

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Unless the video contained a fully assembled case and test rig with temperature comparisons, I can't take it at face value.

I still don't get why manufacturer's include air filters for the top panels when they should be used as exhaust(doesn't need a filter).
I guess you could throw it on top of the case when it's powered off, so the filter would collect dust when the fans aren't running...

TRENDING THREADS