Finally, An Asus X99 Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardcore_player

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
a very good looking motherboard ... looking forward for the Rampage V as it must be the top of the line Motherboard by ASUS . really i liked it .

Jeffrey Barone

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
If only the ROG looked that good. The red on the rog is just too loud and is the only reason I have not bought one. Asus how about a ROG ULTRA with this color scheme

DragonFireXY

Reputable
Jun 24, 2014
uhhhh......is that 12 usb ports in the picture there? Asus does not play around do they. Rampage should be interesting.
It's not really a big deal. My current motherboard has 10 USB slots but I use only 4.

Osiris454

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
That slot is the M.2 slot. If you zoom in you can see the label under it. It says M.2x4. So, M.2 with 4 PCI express lanes.

re M.2 slot:
The article says it looks like one, however also that it's not a good spot and I agree.

The problem is the main POWER CABLE is likely to push up against it once you put the motherboard in the case so damaging the M.2 SSD board is very likely.

Why they wouldn't just put it in the UPPER LEFT makes no sense to me.

lp231

Splendid
From the manual
sceteo.png

If this is the mobo then I must say it is beautiful. Asus should follow the approach of building ATX Power connector, USB headers in right-angle on the mobo as EVGA has started recently. This would make cable management rather very easy. Also, will this board support Thunderbolt needs to be seen!

christinebcw

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
I'm just not sold on the whole M.2 size, fittings and locations. I don't see this as making a huge inroad. The newer SATA Express which offers 40% speed BUT requires 300% more connection space - I'm not too sure about THIS interface, either, but at least their devices (IF THEY EXIST!!) appear to be fitting into drive-bays.

Not consuming motherboard acreage.

I get the feeling that both of these 'advances' are more babysteps and dillydallying instead of real progress.

ThermalRain

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014
That slot is the M.2 slot. If you zoom in you can see the label under it. It says M.2x4. So, M.2 with 4 PCI express lanes.
It is without a doubt an m.2x4 slot. think about it, if you were designing this and had so much to fit on a limited space, wouldnt it make sense to reduce its footprint and make it a vertical slot?

g-unit1111

Titan
OMG, just when I think I gave up on X99 I may have to reconsider - this board looks absolutely incredible and would fit perfectly with my black / white / blue color scheme. I just hope it's not an eATX board!

Status
Not open for further replies.