Question Finally time to upgrade! (More FPS attempt)

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
I need your knowledge! Upgrade Time! What would you do??

It’s been about 3 years since I’ve upgraded but it’s finally time to decide what I want.
I know with my current build the GPU is pretty decent still so I’m thinking a CPU upgrade, which I assume means new mobo and PSU?

Current rig (Mainly gaming):
CPU: Intel i7770K
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070
RAM: 16GB DDR4 @ 2400Mhz
MOBO: GigaByte DAZ270P-D3
HDD: 1TB Generic
SDD: 100GB + 250GB WD SSDs
PSU: 650W Seasonic Core Gold GC-650 80PLUS

Have a budget of about 800$ and I don’t know what the best CPUs on the market are? I don’t need the most flashy mobo/ power supply just want to get the most FPS out of this build for gaming!

I just want guidance on what you would do in my situation?

Thanks everyone that helps out!

If I wanted Intel and wanted to keep existing GPU, the standard advice at the budget might be:

12th generation CPU, say 12600k or 12700; circa 280 to 350 dollars

or:

13th generation CPU, maybe 13600k; around 320 dollars?; the 13700 won't be out till early next year.

Motherboard; either a Z690 or B660 motherboard, possible micro ATX; 150 to 250 dollars somewhere. Those would likely require a BIOS update to work with 13th generation CPU. Or a Z790 for 13th generation only. The 13th generation B series motherboards won't be out till early next year.

13th generation CPUs might be 7 to 10 percent stronger than 12th, but maybe you don't notice much difference in gaming.

That's 430 to 600 maybe.

The remainder on whatever you think is needed.

What case and cooler do you now have?

Try to keep existing RAM? Maybe keep power supply?

Keep existing drives unless you are running out of capacity?

Reactions: DXVIDM

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
If I wanted Intel and wanted to keep existing GPU, the standard advice at the budget might be:

12th generation CPU, say 12600k or 12700; circa 280 to 350 dollars

or:

13th generation CPU, maybe 13600k; around 320 dollars?; the 13700 won't be out till early next year.

Motherboard; either a Z690 or B660 motherboard, possible micro ATX; 150 to 250 dollars somewhere. Those would likely require a BIOS update to work with 13th generation CPU. Or a Z790 for 13th generation only. The 13th generation B series motherboards won't be out till early next year.

13th generation CPUs might be 7 to 10 percent stronger than 12th, but maybe you don't notice much difference in gaming.

That's 430 to 600 maybe.

The remainder on whatever you think is needed.

What case and cooler do you now have?

Try to keep existing RAM? Maybe keep power supply?

Keep existing drives unless you are running out of capacity?
Damn super informative response, firstly thanks!

See I’m not very knowledgeable on all this and don’t even know if which of the 12th gen or 13th are better than one another so I’d almost like you to tell me what you’d to in my situation! :)

I don’t think there’s a need for drive upgrades at the moment, maybe RAM upgrade but I don’t know if that would fit in my budget? And I have no clue whether I need a new power supply or not, I know nothing about how much power is needed for the mobo/ cpu you suggest etc.

And as for the case, it’s large i don’t think there’s many full sized mobo that won’t fit in it :)

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Damn super informative response, firstly thanks!

See I’m not very knowledgeable on all this and don’t even know if which of the 12th gen or 13th are better than one another so I’d almost like you to tell me what you’d to in my situation! :)

I don’t think there’s a need for drive upgrades at the moment, maybe RAM upgrade but I don’t know if that would fit in my budget? And I have no clue whether I need a new power supply or not, I know nothing about how much power is needed for the mobo/ cpu you suggest etc.

And as for the case, it’s large i don’t think there’s many full sized mobo that won’t fit in it :)
If your not going to overclock the processor this would work. The CPU cooler is on Amazon for 36 bucks.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor ($300.00 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assasin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MAG B660 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750x (2021) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $799.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-21 07:39 EST-0500

see comments bolded in line:

13th is just a couple of months old; 12th is about a year back. 13th "better" and "faster" but a bit more expensive. Not a big difference between 12600k, 12700, 13600k; hardly noticeable for many tasks; there are gaming benchmarks out there if you live or die by benchmarks. 13700 may be available late January 2023.

Not likely you would need new power supply if current Seasonic is in good working order and you don't change video cards. Maybe worry about it if and when you change video cards? I think your current video card maxes out at about 215 watts?

RAM upgrade to 32 might be in your budget, but likely a low priority at that budget. Behind CPU, motherboard, cooler.

But there is no guaranteed your existing RAM will work in new motherboard. Figure 50 or 60 if you had to buy new RAM 16 GB;

Brand name and model of your case? That's important in helping choose a CPU cooler.

What CPU cooler are you now using?

Entirely possible you would need a new cooler; say 50 to 100.

Tentative idea:

Motherboard: MSI MAG B660M Mortar Wifi DDR 4 version; micro ATX; maybe 175; should fit in any ordinary case

CPU: Intel i5-12600K; 270 give or take a few bucks

CPU cooler: Noctua U14S if it will fit in your unknown case. Maybe 80?

That's 500 to 550 somewhere.

Keep: drives; maybe RAM; probably power supply; probably case.

Let others shoot holes in that or suggest others stuff.

All pending more information from you.

It's up to you to determine how much this new hardware will affect your gaming experience......rather than your overall PC experience. I don't game. Maybe you will be disappointed. Maybe you are better off blowing 800 on a new video card if all you care about is gaming.

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
If your not going to overclock the processor this would work. The CPU cooler is on Amazon for 36 bucks.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor ($300.00 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assasin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MAG B660 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750x (2021) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $799.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-21 07:39 EST-0500
Damn thanks for the help! Ok so I should have stated I live in Ireland, so sadly I cant use newegg etc :/

But I have added the CPU, Power, Ram and Mobo to a basket on Amazon and its coming out as 870€, which is a bit out of my budget and that is without the storage and other bits you listed.

Is the 13600k worth going for and would it pair well with my 2070? :)
More lists! I loved the ease of being able to go through the items, thanks!

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
see comments bolded in line:
Not likely you would need new power supply if current Seasonic is in good working order and you don't change video cards. Maybe worry about it if and when you change video cards? I think your current video card maxes out at about 215 watts?
Ok great to hear, if that means I can save 100 on buying a new power supply thats sick! :D

RAM upgrade to 32 might be in your budget, but likely a low priority at that budget. Behind CPU, motherboard, cooler.

Ok again thats great to hear, to be honest I have been considering a RAM upgrade but didn't know how important it was right now.

Brand name and model of your case? That's important in helping choose a CPU cooler.

I actually have a Coolmaster Evo in at the moment, would that be an OK cooler and save me upgrading, or will I need to change it up? If so I can find the case details once im home, just let me know :)

Tentative idea:

Thanks, 'ive popped those into an Amazon basket andits coming to 660 euro WITH Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB.
And just on the comment about just spending 800 on a video card, i dont think I can even do that as my current card is being bottlenecked by my CPU, thats why I think thats the thing I need to upgrade :D

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Ok great to hear, if that means I can save 100 on buying a new power supply thats sick! :D

Ok again thats great to hear, to be honest I have been considering a RAM upgrade but didn't know how important it was right now.

I actually have a Coolmaster Evo in at the moment, would that be an OK cooler and save me upgrading, or will I need to change it up? If so I can find the case details once im home, just let me know :)

Tentative idea:
Thanks, 'ive popped those into an Amazon basket andits coming to 660 euro WITH Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB.
And just on the comment about just spending 800 on a video card, i dont think I can even do that as my current card is being bottlenecked by my CPU, thats why I think thats the thing I need to upgrade :D
Right at 800. The motherboard will probably need the BIOS updated it has a flash button.
https://ie.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZQVxjZ

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
Right at 800. The motherboard will probably need the BIOS updated it has a flash button.
https://ie.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZQVxjZ
Oh ok! I got some questions now :D

So will the Ryzen chip be as good as previous 12, 13 gen intel chips mentioned?
And could I save some cash by keeping my Coolermaster Evo cooler, as well as keeping my current SSD as space isnt my biggest concern at the moment? Would I be better off taking the cooler/ ssd off the list and putting more into a different CPU?

Thanks again for the help!

Is that a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO?

If so, I guess most would call it "adequate". It has been around a long time..over a decade. Better than a stock cooler, but probably not what would be recommended if you didn't have a cooler at all. Your case ventilation, case fans, and eventual graphics card are all a factor in your cooling requirements. Maybe give the EVO a tentative "maybe keep it" rating, subject to change?

BUT....you will need to buy a separate adapter (5 or 10 dollars?) to be able to mount it on any recent Intel compatible motherboard. I think Cooler Master makes one. Don't know how well it works.

And you need to confirm it is short enough to fit in your case. It might be too tall?

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
Is that a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO?

If so, I guess most would call it "adequate". It has been around a long time..over a decade. Better than a stock cooler, but probably not what would be recommended if you didn't have a cooler at all. Your case ventilation, case fans, and eventual graphics card are all a factor in your cooling requirements. Maybe give the EVO a tentative "maybe keep it" rating, subject to change?

BUT....you will need to buy a separate adapter (5 or 10 dollars?) to be able to mount it on any recent Intel compatible motherboard. I think Cooler Master makes one. Don't know how well it works.

And you need to confirm it is short enough to fit in your case. It might be too tall?
Im not home to check the case but it just barely fits the EVO 212. Maybe a new cooler will be needed.
Does the following look like it would all be compatible?
Y1gNzaL.png

Im not home to check the case but it just barely fits the EVO 212. Maybe a new cooler will be needed.
Does the following look like it would all be compatible?
Y1gNzaL.png

Any B660 motherboard would likely need a BIOS update to be usable with a 13600K processor. The former is 12th gen; the latter is 13th.

To avoid that, you could:

1; change the CPU to a 12th generation 12600K or 12700 rather than a 13600K

or

2; change the motherboard to a 13th generation Z790, which would NOT need a BIOS update to work with the 13600K. Nothing wrong with this other than higher price, but I don't think you'd really need a Z790 board.

or

3; wait a couple of months, at which time more 13th generation motherboards are supposed to be released...including the less expensive B series replacements for the 12th generation B660 stuff.

or

4; don't use Intel.

or

5; proceed with the BIOS update on a B660 board so it can be used with a 13600K processor.

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
Any B660 motherboard would likely need a BIOS update to be usable with a 13600K processor. The former is 12th gen; the latter is 13th.

To avoid that, you could:

1; change the CPU to a 12th generation 12600K or 12700 rather than a 13600K

or

2; change the motherboard to a 13th generation Z790, which would NOT need a BIOS update to work with the 13600K. Nothing wrong with this other than higher price, but I don't think you'd really need a Z790 board.

or

3; wait a couple of months, at which time more 13th generation motherboards are supposed to be released...including the less expensive B series replacements for the 12th generation B660 stuff.

or

4; don't use Intel.

or

5; proceed with the BIOS update on a B660 board so it can be used with a 13600K processor.
Would this be as simple as it is to update the bios?
View: https://youtu.be/d0JKbA4qlQ4

If that’s as simple as it is, can I just confirm I could purchase the items from my above screenshot, follow that tutorial and everything should work perfectly?
Again, thanks for the help!

Would this be as simple as it is to update the bios?
View: https://youtu.be/d0JKbA4qlQ4

If that’s as simple as it is, can I just confirm I could purchase the items from my above screenshot, follow that tutorial and everything should work perfectly?
Again, thanks for the help!

I would never regard a BIOS update as simple or easy.

If you know what you are doing...it's low risk.

If you are inexperienced, the risk rises.

Even for the experienced, it's not without risk and the headaches if it goes bad are high.

It's a personal decision: take the risk, or make another choice for maybe different dollars that does not have that risk. I'm not going to try to steer you.

RAM: that stuff will likely work. Nothing is certain with RAM. Worst case, you return it and get something else.

"Everything should work perfectly" is also a phrase I'd shy away from, considering PC components generally and quality control being what it is. The CPU is extremely reliable, but a certain percentage of the other stuff is dead on arrival or highly problematic early on. No way around it.

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
I would never regard a BIOS update as simple or easy.

If you know what you are doing...it's low risk.

If you are inexperienced, the risk rises.

Even for the experienced, it's not without risk and the headaches if it goes bad are high.

It's a personal decision: take the risk, or make another choice for maybe different dollars that does not have that risk. I'm not going to try to steer you.

RAM: that stuff will likely work. Nothing is certain with RAM. Worst case, you return it and get something else.

"Everything should work perfectly" is also a phrase I'd shy away from, considering PC components generally and quality control being what it is. The CPU is extremely reliable, but a certain percentage of the other stuff is dead on arrival or highly problematic early on. No way around it.
Ok, I think it’s safer to just go with the 12th gen! It works out cheaper and seems to be less complications if I wanted to go with a wrong version mobo.
So how would the following work together:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/drVJZw

Let me know, it’s coming to only 670€ which is great! :)

Ok, I think it’s safer to just go with the 12th gen! It works out cheaper and seems to be less complications if I wanted to go with a wrong version mobo.
So how would the following work together:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/drVJZw

Let me know, it’s coming to only 670€ which is great! :)

That list says you are buying ANOTHER Hyper 212 EVO cooler??

Why?

If you are in fact going to buy another cooler, I would not choose the Hyper 212 Evo.

I might try to persuade you to move slightly on that motherboard. Away from full ATX toward micro ATX. Maybe a little cheaper without giving up anything useful. Still good internal components, possibly superior.

Gigabyte B660M Aorus Pro AX DDR 4 version

Or

MSI Mag B660M Mortar Wifi DDR 4 version

Still unknown if Hyper Evo cooler will in fact fit in your unknown case.

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
That list says you are buying ANOTHER Hyper 212 EVO cooler??

Why?

If you are in fact going to buy another cooler, I would not choose the Hyper 212 Evo.

I might try to persuade you to move slightly on that motherboard. Away from full ATX toward micro ATX. Maybe a little cheaper without giving up anything useful. Still good internal components, possibly superior.

Gigabyte B660M Aorus Pro AX DDR 4 version

Or

MSI Mag B660M Mortar Wifi DDR 4 version

Still unknown if Hyper Evo cooler will in fact fit in your unknown case.
LOL sorry! No that build was just including the parts I already have, which includes the evo. I just wanted to know would all that be compatible together. The EVO I currently have also fits in my case, which is:

PHANTEKS Eclipse P400A... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TTDW9KV?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Can I ask why you recommend a mini motherboard? What’s the benefit?

And finally, would this mobo work?
MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 Motherboard, ATX - Supports Intel Core 12th Gen Processors, LGA 1700 - 14 Duet Rail 55A VRM, Memory Boost 5200MHz/OC, 1 x PCIe 5.0 x16, 3 x M.2 Gen4 x4, 2.5G LAN https://amzn.eu/d/16ctx4g

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
If you can wait until early January Intel will be releasing the i5 13400 / 13400F along with the new B670 boards. Sites such as this one will do reviews of those cpu's as soon as they're released.
Would it be worth the wait though, or potentially underwhelming? Plus the extra weeks for stock to come in and people to review :/

Would it be worth the wait though, or potentially underwhelming? Plus the extra weeks for stock to come in and people to review :/
The reviews will show if it's worth the wait. If they're anything like the 12 gen cpu's they will be worth the wait. Also keep in mind the B760 boards and locked cpu's will be less expensive than the Z690 / Z790 boards and unlocked cpu's.

i5 12400 / 12400F gaming benchmarks.

i512400.jpg

i7 12700 / 12700F gaming benchmarks.

i712700.jpg

Reactions: DXVIDM and Lafong

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
The reviews will show if it's worth the wait. If they're anything like the 12 gen cpu's they will be worth the wait. Also keep in mind the B760 boards and locked cpu's will be less expensive than the Z690 / Z790 boards and unlocked cpu's.

i5 12400 / 12400F gaming benchmarks.

i512400.jpg

i7 12700 / 12700F gaming benchmarks.

i712700.jpg
I’m getting more confused now haha sorry, trying to keep up.

So if I’m correct, my options are:

1. Wait for 13600F and new boards, but will have to wait for reviews etc and unsure of the cost as I do have a budget.

2. Bite the bullet and buy a 12600K, a Z690 board and a couple sticks of RAM.

I just don’t want to have to wait 2/3 months then realise I waited so I could get an extra 2-10 fps.. :/

Also, is a 12700F worth purchasing over a 12600K, or even a 12700K?

Thanks for your patience, I understand I’m a noob haha.

Reactions: Why_Me