Question finding out the public ip through x.com

Postreply

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
It's interesting that today, a random individual managed to discover my public IP address through Twitter and gained access to my router, listing all the connections on it. I suspect this person might be an X.com employee. What's notable is that my Twitter account doesn't follow anyone, has no followers, and only has posts.

Do you have any suggestions on how to protect ourselves from this happening again?

It's interesting that today, a random individual managed to discover my public IP address through Twitter and gained access to my router, listing all the connections on it. I suspect this person might be an X.com employee. What's notable is that my Twitter account doesn't follow anyone, has no followers, and only has posts.

Do you have any suggestions on how to protect ourselves from this happening again?
First make sure to change the admin password on your router. You don't want someone getting in there and making changes. Second you can hide your public IP by using a VPN service like Surfshark, Cyber Ghost, etc...

Last edited by a moderator:

Postreply

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
How do you know or were otherwise informed that the router was accessed?

What connections were listed: do you mean devices on your network?

Change all passwords to strong passwords.

Scan all devices for malware.

Back up all important data.
i only have assumed he accessed my router because that person only mentioned the list of devices on my network

i changed my router admin password, unfortunetly it doesnt have a 2fa

i scanned all my devices , all clean

i have nothing to back up as everything is extracted on external closed circuit storage

First make sure to change the admin password on your router. You don't want someone getting in there and making changes. Second you can hide your public IP by using a VPN service like Surfshark, Cyber Ghost, etc...

i did change the pwd,and im already using a paid vpn

Ralston18

Titan
Regarding:

"i only have assumed he accessed my router because that person only mentioned the list of devices on my network"

How was that list mentioned to you? Was the list accurate with respect to the listed devices?

Screenshot, copy/paste, typed list?

Not asking to see the list - just asking how the list was mentioned to you?

Postreply

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
Regarding:

"i only have assumed he accessed my router because that person only mentioned the list of devices on my network"

How was that list mentioned to you? Was the list accurate with respect to the listed devices?

Screenshot, copy/paste, typed list?

Not asking to see the list - just asking how the list was mentioned to you?

he told me what machines were connected tothe router

Postreply

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
"he told me what machines were connected to the router".....

How explicit?

By IP address, device name, MAC?

What make and model router?

by mac and device name... he is doing it to other people ... i noticed this was done to 3 accounts on x.com 2 were from the uae and one im still trying to figure out were he/she post from

both accounts and my account have 0 followers no posts and yet this guy was able to figure out who we are by the comments we've wrote "i delete my comments every 24 hours ", from the way he writes .... seems like he is an arab "lebanese" affiliated with hizbola .... no idea if he is part of their cyber army.

Ralston18

Titan
Actually, it is my belief that making contact was not a good idea.,

Now they know they have a live person and perhaps attempt to exploit you even further.

As far as I know, the thread cannot be hidden. And hiding the thread would serve very little purpose with respect to other' truly trying to help you. However that is just my opinion as I understand Forum rules and practices so will defer further answers to others who know more about such things.

And, depending on where you live (not asking) there may be many other factors involved. Do you, for exampe, trust your ISP? Are they secure and working to block attempts to hack into customer accounts and services.

Someone may have gotten your information before you secured and/or disconnected wireless. Use a strong passwordl for your router or modem/router. Change the password on a regular basis and do not give the password to anyone. Make sure the router is secure so no one can factory reset the router.

Close as many accounts as possible. Change passwords and take other measures to accounts that you must continue to use. Continually monitor those accounts - especially fianancial, health, education, and health accounts.

If the person or persons hacking you discover that there is nothing to be gained by hacking you then they will move to other easier and more profitable targets.

Should they respond to your DM do not respond back, Change as much as you can, increase security, and likely they will move on.

Just my personal thoughts on the matter. I do not speak for Tom's Hardware.