Finding the right MoBo/CPU fit for my MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4GB.

PreyTheSun

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014
I want to get rid of AMD, as I have switched from an AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB, to my MSI, so now I want to do the same with the MoBo and the CPU. In all of your humble opinions, what would be the best up-to-date, modernized, 2015, latest and greatest MoBo and CPU that would grant me full power and performance that my GPU is missing b/c of my 4 1/2 year old hardware?

I know my MoBo: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX-S, and my CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition, are holding my video card back and I just need to get with the times, but I'm not sure which route to go based off of Intel and I know Intel is much more expensive, so I don't want to make any moves until I'm ABSOLUTELY sure it's worth the money and compatible.

The last thing I want to do is settle.

Would an MSI/Intel MoBo be best, since I have an MSI GPU now or does it not matter?

These are my full specs as of 4-6-15:

Case: Antec Six Hundred Black Computer Case.

Disc Drive: LG Black Blu-ray/Disc Combo SATA Model UH10LS20 LightScribe.

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX/AMD.

PSU: XFX Black Edition P1-750B-CAG9 750W ATX12V v2.2 / ESP12V.

HDD: Western Digital WD Black WD6402AAEX 640GB 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA.

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 6-Core 3.3Ghz, 3.7Ghz Turbo.

Solution
The parts are compatible, and Yes, you will feel a big difference.

The parts to upgrade/add to the future would be the RAM (1600Hz is the norm now days, but you shouldn`t feel a big difference from it), and the SSD (I also had a Kingston V300, but they are pretty low quality - recently got a Crucial MX100, and loove it so far).
However, these upgrades are not urgent, you can just cnage this in time, when you have money to spare.

PreyTheSun

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014

"the full version of windows before going to windows" What do you mean by that? I have a full legit copy of Win7 64-bit Pro.

My budget for an Intel MoBo and CPU is anywhere from $550-650, if possible, I want to make sure it's all worth it. I also have to redo my wiring job. It ugly as ever and I think a few cables are resting on the gpu which isn't good.

PreyTheSun

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014

Ah, okay, now I understand. Thank you for clarifying. So as far as 2015 goes, what would be the best board/CPU to get that will go well with my MSI GTX 970? I'm extremely OCD, haha, so I have to know everything will be used to it;s fullest potential and worth all the money I drop on it.

I know a bit about PC building, but I'm still learning a great deal. Never had Intel before, so I want to make sure I go about this in the right way.

PreyTheSun

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014

Wow, those are great finds, I really appreciate it, :D!!! I've been trying to use PcPartPicker.com for the last week or so now, but I'm having a little trouble with it.

I don't have a clue about Overclocking, but I want to learn. Would it be best to buy the parts you suggested for OC'ing just so I can do it down the line?

Thanks for all the help, :D!

Pr3di

Honorable
Here`s an example of an upgrade that will make your build fresh as a daisy:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($226.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.75 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $581.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-07 08:56 EDT-0400

PreyTheSun

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014

Thanks for all the tips and help, guys, I really appreciate it and I agree with the both of you, :D!

Would this CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor, stand the test of another 3+ years whether or not I OC it? I want to get the cooling system no matter what happens and I already have a SSD, Pr3di, I just forgot to put that in my build.

I have a SSD from Kingston, doing great.

I really like the build you posted, Pr3di and I'd probably get all my parts from Newegg, since I have the preferred account and can pay it off in 6 months, no interest + no payments. I don't like buying all different parts from 3 different sites, but I see what you guys are saying.

Since I have an MSI GPU now, is it better to get the MSI board or the Gigabyte works just the same?

Thanks again for taking all the time out of your day to help, :D!!!

Pr3di

Honorable

Manufacturer will not matter. I used to have a Gigabyte mobo and Asus GPU, and it worked great! The 4690k is THE gaming CPU now days, so you're taking a safe bet with it.

PreyTheSun

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014
I assume the Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor blows my AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition out of the water, right? My AMD is 6-cores, but only 3.3GHz stock. Since that Intel CPU is not an i7, is that the most up-to-date one I can get for my money/worth it?

I really like the two builds you are both suggesting and I'm seriously thinking about pulling the trigger lol.

Would my PSU survive the new parts?

SORRY IF I'M BEING A PAIN IN THE ASS, haha. I appreciate all of the help, I really do!

Pr3di

Honorable

You can't actually compare cpus by numbers but by results.
Also, your PSU is a good one, and it will get the job done.

PreyTheSun

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014
Alright, you've both been a HUGE help on all levels and I will use this information you gave me for weeks to come before I make my final decision....SO ONE FINALLY THING, lol.

If I mix what parts I have now with what you both have suggested, would this all work well and be compatible together:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (HOPE TO OC IN THE NOT SO DISTANT FUTURE)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

(I'll go with MSI) Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150

Keeping my old memory for now: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333.

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4GB (NEW GPU)

Although, I'd like to get as MUCH as I can out of this setup without OC it at first. Would I notice a considerable difference right out of the box from my old 4 1/2 year build?

Pr3di

Honorable
The parts are compatible, and Yes, you will feel a big difference.

The parts to upgrade/add to the future would be the RAM (1600Hz is the norm now days, but you shouldn`t feel a big difference from it), and the SSD (I also had a Kingston V300, but they are pretty low quality - recently got a Crucial MX100, and loove it so far).
However, these upgrades are not urgent, you can just cnage this in time, when you have money to spare.

Solution

PreyTheSun

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014

Alright, cool. As long as my PSU checks out, I'm happy, :). I can get the RAM down the line, definitely, that's not too bad and cheap when it comes to the right brand and research.

I think I have the same SSD as you, Pr3di.

I'm adding all of this to my wish-list on newegg right now, haha. My heart is SET! I just have to resist the urge not to scratch the itch just yet. I bought the MSI for $326 with a free copy of The Witcher 3, so I have to save up a little more for the CPU and MoBo.

PreyTheSun

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014
What's considered an unsafe CPU temp at idle and full load? I plan on pushing the limits with this MoBo and CPU, trying to get it up to 4.7GHz if possible with tutorials. I want to have a seamless experience with Mortal Kombat X and The Witcher 3, you know?

Pr3di

Honorable
Depending on your ambient temperature, case airflow and how good the cooler is mounted, you`re looking at around 30-40C at idle, and around 65-75C under load.

But as I said, the lower your room temperature and depending on the case airflow, these temps can be even lower. A more powerfull (and more expensive) CPU cooler will keep it even cooler, but you have to pay the premium for that.

PreyTheSun

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014
You're both truly AWESOME! This has all been a MASSIVE help and I'll keep this thread open for myself as reference when it comes time to order all of my parts.

Again, you both did me a great service this morning and I appreciate it sincerely!

I will PM the both of you with questions if I have any when the time comes....(WHICH I WILL, :p).

Thanks again!!!!

PreyTheSun

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014
Hey guys, is www.almico.com/speedfan.php (SPEEDFAN) a trusted and safe, lightweight, program to use when controling your CPU fan speeds and measuring the temps or is there something better out there?

Thanks!

Steve

PreyTheSun

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014

I think I'm going to uninstall SpeedFan anyways and just let the stock cpu/cooler/fan do it's own work when the CPU needs to be cooled however it needs to be cooled for now. I'll leave it to the BIOS/MoBo.

Is there a specific program you use to monitor your CPU speeds and Temps, ShadowR34per?

I think CPU-Z is a big deal, right?

PreyTheSun

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014

Will do. So, Haswell (microarchitecture) is still pretty popular/relevant in the CPU world of Intel, huh? What's this Skyline that's supposed to come out this year? Anything I should hold off for, possibly?

PreyTheSun

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014

Oh yeah? So with all the upgrades we have been going over today, based off of your estimates, you're saying I'd be in the clear?

That would be great! That's what I aim to do.

Also, what's the best RAM to get over my old G.Skill Ripjaws Series?

I'm looking into the G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory I just found on Newegg.

PreyTheSun

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014

Ah, I did not know that! Thanks for the heads up, lol. Yeah, I'll only be gaming, so should I stay at 8GB?

PreyTheSun

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014

I see what you're saying, but 8GB is recommended for JUST The Witcher 3 JUST BY ITSELF, lol, MADNESS. Would I be fine with just 8Gb's of super fast G.Skill, or does the brand not matter once again? Keeping it DDR3 2133 or 2400.