[SOLVED] Finished build - no display.

Aug 4, 2022
Hello,

I've just finished my first PC build with the following parts: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/2FrCZw

I plugged it in, turned it on, and it looked fine. The fans all started running, lights were on, looked good. However, it does not give a display to my monitor. I first tried a display port cable, then a HDMI cable. I turned it off, and tried turning it back on, same problem. I noticed that time, however, that when I first turned it on, that some of the LEDs on the motherboard turned on. First, the CPU LED flashed on for a second, then the VGA LED for a second, then the 'boot' LED stays on until I shut down the PC.
I've done some quick research, I'm going to try re-installing the SSD and RAM tomorrow, and also checking all of the power connections (PCIe, CPU, MoBo etc.).

I also considered that the BIOS may be out of date on the motherboard. Or perhaps vice versa, the motherboard is up to date but I have purchased an older CPU? The S-spec on my CPU says SRL4W, and according to a comment by u/-protonsandneutrons- on this post, SRL4W requires BIOS 7D43v10, which isn't the latest version? I think.

Anyway, thought I'd mention that. I don't know what else could be the problem at this point, and as it's getting late here, I'm going to sleep soon. I appreciate (very very very appreciate) any help that you guys can give. I'll respond for the next 10 minutes or so, and try your fixes tomorrow afternoon-ish.
Thanks!

Solution
Hello,

I've just finished my first PC build with the following parts: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/2FrCZw

I plugged it in, turned it on, and it looked fine. The fans all started running, lights were on, looked good. However, it does not give a display to my monitor. I first tried a display port cable, then a HDMI cable. I turned it off, and tried turning it back on, same problem. I noticed that time, however, that when I first turned it on, that some of the LEDs on the motherboard turned on. First, the CPU LED flashed on for a second, then the VGA LED for a second, then the 'boot' LED stays on until I shut down the PC.
I've done some quick research, I'm going to try re-installing the SSD and RAM tomorrow, and also...
Aug 4, 2022
LEDs clearly show system boots just fine. It is just a no display problem. That does not mean GPU is bad, it may just need some BIOS settings changed, but you can't do that without display, so you need another GPU temporarily.
The LED that stays on is not an indication of anything going wrong? Doesn't that mean something stopped the motherboard from completing POST? I'm not exactly PC smart, so correct me if I'm wrong....

Either way, I don't really have another GPU at hand... I could nab one from my brother's PC i suppose. What BIOS settings could cause this issue?

Hello,

I've done some quick research, I'm going to try re-installing the SSD and RAM tomorrow, and also checking all of the power connections (PCIe, CPU, MoBo etc.).

I also considered that the BIOS may be out of date on the motherboard. Or perhaps vice versa, the motherboard is up to date but I have purchased an older CPU? The S-spec on my CPU says SRL4W, and according to a comment by u/-protonsandneutrons- on this post, SRL4W requires BIOS 7D43v10, which isn't the latest version? I think.

Anyway, thought I'd mention that. I don't know what else could be the problem at this point, and as it's getting late here, I'm going to sleep soon. I appreciate (very very very appreciate) any help that you guys can give. I'll respond for the next 10 minutes or so, and try your fixes tomorrow afternoon-ish.
Thanks!
Test with one stick of ram and unplug the disk.

Solution
The LED that stays on is not an indication of anything going wrong?
Nope, it just signals BIOS did not found drive with Windows (which is obvious cos there is no drive with Windows yet).
Either way, I don't really have another GPU at hand... I could nab one from my brother's PC i suppose.
Do that. You can't do much without display anyway.

A good example why it is wise to spend a bit more for the non F version of the processor.

Some monitors do not autodetect the connection and need the monitor osd to be set manually.

Are you using a known good monitor connection cable?
Do you have the option to change from HDMI to DP to test(or vice versa)?

A graphics card will have a default low res mode that works without any drivers installed.
That is how you should be able to see your bios screen.
Have you connected the psu 8 pin pcie connector to the graphics card?
Have you connected the 4 and 8 pin motherboard eps connectors?

Definitely try a known good replacement graphics card.
You may have a defective card; it does happen on occasion.

Aug 4, 2022
Thank you all for your replies. I'll try unplugging the disk and also just one stick of RAM, as suggested by Bob.
I'll then try a separate GPU, if the above doesn't work, suggested by dragor.
If this doesn't work... I'll probably just take it in to a store.

Are you using a known good monitor connection cable?
Do you have the option to change from HDMI to DP to test(or vice versa)?

A graphics card will have a default low res mode that works without any drivers installed.
That is how you should be able to see your bios screen.
Have you connected the psu 8 pin pcie connector to the graphics card?
Have you connected the 4 and 8 pin motherboard eps connectors?

Definitely try a known good replacement graphics card.
You may have a defective card; it does happen on occasion.

In response to Geofelt... I'm using an Asus VG259QR monitor, and the cables that came with it. It works with a separate PC that I have been using it with for the lasts 6 months or so. I have also tried both HDMI and DP.
An 8 pin and 6 pin PCIe connection was required for the graphics card. It has been daisy chained, and there seems to be no issue, it shows lighting and the fans are spinning.
The motherboard has the 24 ATX pin plugged into it, and is definitely receiving power.
I will try putting my brother's 1050 ti into the PCIe slot, and see if I can get a display output

Again, thank you for all of your replies.

What do you mean by the pcie connection was "daisy chained"?
Your graphics card is a factory overclocked card which needs more than normal power.
From the psu, you should be using two pcie cables, not one cable using both the 6 and 8 pin connectors.

Aug 4, 2022
What do you mean by the pcie connection was "daisy chained"?
Your graphics card is a factory overclocked card which needs more than normal power.
From the psu, you should be using two pcie cables, not one cable using both the 6 and 8 pin connectors.

By daisy chained, I mean that I used one PCIe cable to power the GPU, which required an 8 pin and 6 pin connection. I didn't realise that it wasn't a great idea, i'll change that now. thanks, I would never have noticed otherwise.

Either way, this:

Test with one stick of ram and unplug the disk.

Fixed the issue. I tried it, and it worked this morning. I'll install windows and finish it off tonight.
Thanks to Bob and geofelt (and others) for your help, it honestly is so great you can help me.