Firefox 4 Blasts Past IE9 in Day 1 Downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
I agree with dark_lord69. I wonder how Firefox users were made aware of the new 4.0 firefox though. The only way I got IE9 is by going to Microsoft's site.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Got it yesterday and I'm a fan. The ability to sync bookmarks between my laptop, desktop, and phone is fantastic.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
Why did Toms stop user ratings of posts? Is it my browser? It lets you vote but then if you reload the page they are all at 0 again.

G

Apparently downloads from the ftp site link were not counted. So all of us early birds are not in the numbers.
Looks like it was just the link from firefox.com

Oh well.

flightmare

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
Is this information gathered by the browser itself? Otherwise it would exclude all mirror downloads I think. I downloaded it from Launchpad.

HighPies

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Almost no downloads happening in SA cause people here use something good, like idk....Chrome :)

jk's gj mozilla team.

[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]Interesting to go take a look and see where in the world the browser is being downloaded.[/citation]Lots of people staying up late to grab FF4.
Or maybe it's early on the other side of the Intl Date Line.

I was pleased to see all my plug-ins ready and working after the upgrade.
Very smooth sailing on the upgrade. Fast and easy to use.

Krusher

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
Some of the FF4 popularity is probably due to the fact that enthusiasts look for upgrades, while the rest wait for Windows to tell them that there's an upgrade (or do it automatically.) Also...FF4 is available for XP while IE9.0 is not. So that's a good chunk of the population right there. I'd try Chrome, but Google is too anti-privacy for my tastes (referring to what the CEO said about user's privacy some time ago.) FF4 is working great so far!

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]hixbot[/nom]Are the auto-upgrades included? Most people with firefox are updated automatically.[/citation]
Yes they are, I would be interested to see how many millions of "downloads" the end users are totally unaware of.

If MS had enabled an automatic update of all IE6, 7 & 8 users to IE9 in the same way, 2 things would have happened.

Firstly, IE9 would have jumped up to something silly like 100 million downloads on day and probably crashed the servers in the process.

Secondly, all the rabid Firefox fanboys would cry foul that MS was abusing it's monopoly - even they they did the same thing themselves.

So stop patting yourselves on the back, Firefox may have a lot of downloads but it still won't have the crown for total number of users, so throwing a ticker-tape parade for coming second just looks sad & desperate.

Status
Not open for further replies.