Firefox Add-on Exonerated From Trojan Quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Someone really messed up there. Mozilla could very well be sued for defamation by Sothink. It was good that they pulled the download but they should not have been so quick to publicly accuse them of including malware. It would have been better to just leave a message saying that this addon is currently unavailable while they waited for things to be confirmed.

LuckyRed

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
[citation][nom]webbwbb[/nom]Someone really messed up there. Mozilla could very well be sued for defamation by Sothink. It was good that they pulled the download but they should not have been so quick to publicly accuse them of including malware. It would have been better to just leave a message saying that this addon is currently unavailable while they waited for things to be confirmed.[/citation]
I think they had to make a public statement. If they hadn't and this turned out to be a trojan, then I suspect they could have faced a class-action suit from the people who already downloaded it. Additionally, they would have taken a huge hit to their reputation.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
[citation][nom]webbwbb[/nom]Someone really messed up there. Mozilla could very well be sued for defamation by Sothink. It was good that they pulled the download but they should not have been so quick to publicly accuse them of including malware. It would have been better to just leave a message saying that this addon is currently unavailable while they waited for things to be confirmed.[/citation]

I dont agree one bit in this case Firefox did the right thing. They removed a potential threat then warned the people of the threat. Today society needs to stop being so sue happy about ever little thing and use some common since ever once in a while.. it makes me sick...... You know people do the right thing then get into trouble for it.

Just sit and think about this what happens if next time it turns out to be a positive and firefox doesn't say anything tell they get finished testing it... lets say in the mean time the program manges to download ooo 100m credit card numbers and other bits of personal information that they use to steal identities (someone you knows or your self is included and ends up having there entire world turned up side down) do you think they should have just sat on it tell it was tested?

Status
Not open for further replies.