Firefox Market Share Drops Again, Chrome Set to Overtake

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennaye

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
[citation][nom]droking[/nom]Firefox doesnt need to try to fight to fend off google bc it will be just like IE where masses of morons reside ^_^[/citation]

The numbers beg to differ.

stonedatheist

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
Go Chrome! It seemed like an insurmountable task to acquire browser market share dominance when it first came out, but now it seems likely. Firefox (almost) down, IE to go

AMD X6850

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
Not funny droking =P
It's a shame cos Firefox has actually fixed up its major issues.
It no longer uses a ton of memory, it starts quickly, freezing in one tab doesn't affect another.
People complain about Flash crashing with Firefox but it's never happened to me so it's not an issue for me.

Some people who use Chrome reckon its awesome (and themselves too XD) and start going on about it but when you ask them questions about why it is so, they just give me the generic "it's faster and better" but can't explain anything more than that. I'd say they are more of a dumbass than someone who uses IE because "it's there".

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Would rather a neutral party dealt with my browsing, instead of Microsoft or Google.

Just running noscript lists a whole host of crap google is running in the background.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
IDC aboot market share. Opera has a low one and there're still users whom it suits. So far FF totally delivered and then some; there're tons of addons for everything, it's fast (I hate my ISP bottleneck, though!) and that's about all I need from a browser.

P.S. I don't understand why Mozilla gets blamed for changing version numbers often and Google doesn't. It's like Google is a freakin' saint and everything that comes out of it is automatically wonderful. I like Google, but Picasa sucks, Google+ is BS and Chrome is meh. In. My. Opinion. Things might be different in other users' XP.

4745454b

Titan
I'll stick with FF for now. IE is horrible, and I haven't used chrome. Why not? FF does everything I need. I see no need to use Chrome if FF does everything I need.

AMD x6850, I've had the occasional Flash crash in FF, but its nothing to get worked up about.

monktongaz

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Firefox + Adblock plus is great for me. I have no need for others.

It's a shame that we will never see stats on the number of people who download software and inadvertently leave the completely unrelated 'install chrome, oh and also make it my default browser please' tickbox ticked.

randomizer

Champion
I don't see how anyone can be surprised when Chrome gets prominently advertised on Google's home page. Firefox doesn't receive this exposure; its market share increased because tech heads discovered that there was a world outside of IE. Now the masses are discovering the same thing, but through marketing rather than word of mouth.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
Everyone does realize that Adblock on FF blocks these stat-counters? So the results are pretty meaningless since at least half of FF users are running ABP.

In case anyone is wondering...according to my stats ABP has blocked statcounter 1631 times over the past few years.

Number 1 is *$donottrack,image,~image with 800,000 blocks! (second place is 90k).

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Gotta love Adblock. I can't imagine how many hours of ad-free surfing experience it provided me with. I was VERY surprised when I visited Tom's and a few other sites I hang out at from a FF which didn't have Adblock. Turns out, they have ads! :lol: Needless to say, the mistake was corrected very fast :) Adblock makes the web into what I want it to be.

Does Chrome have Adblock at all? I'd expect it to, but somehow it wouldn't make sense, since Google earns most of its money from ads and Adblock pwns them all... Chrome users, please respond :D

P.S. In 8 years of using the Internets, I've NEVER seen ANYONE who clicks on ads. I have no idea who would do so and why.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
The market share thing is somewhat of nonsense. The statistics are not really...acurate. Look for example at Opera. It's market share is incredible small, but only by statistics. Because Opera doesn't send it's request to the servers HOST everytime when someone refreshes the page. It's called memory caching done wright, and maybe this also happens to Firefox as of late.

IE9 and Chrome: Please catch up to the standards.

stonedatheist

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
[citation][nom]AMD X6850[/nom]Not funny droking =PIt's a shame cos Firefox has actually fixed up its major issues.It no longer uses a ton of memory, it starts quickly, freezing in one tab doesn't affect another.People complain about Flash crashing with Firefox but it's never happened to me so it's not an issue for me.Some people who use Chrome reckon its awesome (and themselves too XD) and start going on about it but when you ask them questions about why it is so, they just give me the generic "it's faster and better" but can't explain anything more than that. I'd say they are more of a dumbass than someone who uses IE because "it's there".[/citation]

1) It's faster. (broken record, I know, but it's true and has been basically since it came out; though the gap is narrowing). This has always been the #1 reason.
2) Its integration. From having adobe flash early on (albeit at slightly worse performance than standalone flash) to pdf viewing shortly after.
3) Its innovation. It was the first browser to use DNS prefetching and more recently the pre-rendering of web pages.
4) Its minimalist interface. I started with Chrome version 3 and back then they had a favorites toolbar on by default (which I'll admit, I missed at first) but now that's gone as is the http before the website (meanwhile showing https, lovin' it). Also, the new tab page.
5) Browser management. Add-ons and extensions nearly on-par with ff and the built-in task manager. ABP is a must. (Yes it is available for Chrome for those that didn't know)
6) Google streamlines it very well. I remember one of the earlier versions of chrome had a problem with using a measurable amount of CPU to keep tabs active while not viewing them but it was down to near 0 the next release.

Much love for Chrome :)

AMD X6850

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
Someone who can actually backup their love for Chrome and why they think it is the best =)
You have every right to boast about Chrome (honestly).

It's the minimalist interface that's keeping me away from Chrome. It's a personal thing. And the fact that Firefox does everything I need.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Chrome is installed like an adware in most computers, so I do not trust those numbers. In fact, this spam-like marketing by Google makes me run away from Chrome.

spazoid

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]I don't see how anyone can be surprised when Chrome gets prominently advertised on Google's home page. Firefox doesn't receive this exposure; its market share increased because tech heads discovered that there was a world outside of IE. Now the masses are discovering the same thing, but through marketing rather than word of mouth.[/citation]

http://www.google.dk/search?gcx=c&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=browser

1st hit: Wiki page
2nd hit: Firefox
3rd hit: Chrome

'nough said.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]In 8 years of using the Internets, I've NEVER seen ANYONE who clicks on ads. I have no idea who would do so and why.[/citation]
Somebody must do, otherwise companies wouldn't invest in the generation of them.
Sure the more adept people with a bit of streetwise wouldn't be fooled but there are 6 billion people on the planet and at least 90% are thick as pig shit.

My personal feeling on the browser war is that there won't be a bang, but a damp fizzle as the 3 major browsers will all eventually subside around 33% each within the next few years when they all become "samey", the list of distintiveness is already so narrow you need to be relatively technically adept to even notice and the 90% masses wouldn't know even if you waved it in front of them.

As the list of technological advances increases, the apathy increases also.

bennaye

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
[citation][nom]pjmelect[/nom]Firefox needs a few minor changes to its user interface to be a bit more friendly. Nothing major just a few tweaks and they could easily get the market share back again.[/citation]

I could almost imagine the team meeting for this:

Leader: So, guys. We're taking a hit in market share. Anything we could do guys? Suggestions?

Peon: Some UI changes? We could make the orange Firebox menu button a tad bigger, some code tweaks, and streamline the whole package in general.

Leader: Sounds solid, nameless peon. Should take us alllll the way to Firefox 15. We'll meet for Firefox 16~ planning tomorrow. Meeting dismissed!

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Chrome's refusal to participate in proper installation techniques on Windows OS is what keeps me from using it. I like my programs in "Program Files". :)

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]win7guru[/nom]Chrome is the best for one major reason; it auto-updates flash and the browser. What could be better?[/citation]

Ummm... so does Firefox.

[citation][nom]stonedatheist[/nom]4) Its minimalist interface.[/citation]

I LOATHE dumbing down the UI. YES, it IS dumbing down, it's not "minimalistic". Chrome is targeted at the IE users, not FF/Opera ones.

[citation][nom]pjmelect[/nom]Firefox needs a few minor changes to its user interface to be a bit more friendly. Nothing major just a few tweaks and they could easily get the market share back again.[/citation]

No thank you. FF UI is perfect.

bongobongo

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Why is the Chrome developers so slow in implementing a good tab management feature fro Chrome?

If you want to open lots of tabs in Chrome you will soon have to open multiple windows. This can quickly become really messy.

Say hello to FIREFOX PANORAMA. Firefox Panorama is just a killer feature when it comes to managing multiple tabs in different groups. IMHO the tab handling in Opera is just nada-zip in comparison:

Take a look at Firefox Panaroma here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r0TQJ-gGi0

Status
Not open for further replies.