I have a HP Pavilion notebook zx5180us. The firewire connection in the
notebook is a 4 pin female. My compact flash reader is a 6 pin female
connection. I bought a 6 pin male to 4 pin male jumper and connected it
between the reader and computer. But when i install a card in the reader
nothing happens. Not even a flicker out of the lcd light in the reader. Does
anyone know where i should start looking to correct this problem?

The problem is that HP sold a crippled computer with only 4
wires in the port. Many devices must have all 6 wires to
work. Unless you can buy a PCMCIA card with a Firewire
port, you will have to buy a new computer. I don't know for
sure, but there might be some external Firewire hubs that
will supply the 5th and 6th wires..

But you have a hardware problem. You least expensive fix
might be to buy a USB 2.0 card reader {I like the Lexar USB
2.0 Multicard, it is fast and handles most format flash
cards and some micro-drives.}

"jerryz" <jerryz@comcast.net> wrote in message
|I have a HP Pavilion notebook zx5180us. The firewire
connection in the
| notebook is a 4 pin female. My compact flash reader is a 6
pin female
| connection. I bought a 6 pin male to 4 pin male jumper and
connected it
| between the reader and computer. But when i install a
card in the reader
| nothing happens. Not even a flicker out of the lcd light
in the reader. Does
| anyone know where i should start looking to correct this
problem?

Jim,

If the Firewire device were to have its own power supply - e.g. an external
hard drive & 6 pin would the 6 > 4 pin cable work with a laptop with a 4 pin
socket??(Hope that makes sense)
--
HTH - Any Advice Appreciated - Please Reply To Newsgroup Only

jel183(UK)

> The problem is that HP sold a crippled computer with only 4
> wires in the port. Many devices must have all 6 wires to
> work. Unless you can buy a PCMCIA card with a Firewire
> port, you will have to buy a new computer. I don't know for
> sure, but there might be some external Firewire hubs that
> will supply the 5th and 6th wires..
>
> But you have a hardware problem. You least expensive fix
> might be to buy a USB 2.0 card reader {I like the Lexar USB
> 2.0 Multicard, it is fast and handles most format flash
> cards and some micro-drives.}

> "jerryz" <jerryz@comcast.net> wrote in message
> |I have a HP Pavilion notebook zx5180us. The firewire
> connection in the
> | notebook is a 4 pin female. My compact flash reader is a 6
> pin female
> | connection. I bought a 6 pin male to 4 pin male jumper and
> connected it
> | between the reader and computer. But when i install a
> card in the reader
> | nothing happens. Not even a flicker out of the lcd light
> in the reader. Does
> | anyone know where i should start looking to correct this
> problem?

Maybe, if you device has an external power connection and it
doesn't work, it may require more power than can be supplied
by a simple port. Give it a try.

As far as I know, 4 wires are data and the two wires are
power. The 6 to 4 pin wire cables have a plug that fits a
standard 6 pin socket and only have 4 wires and a smaller
plug to connect to the device.

But I can't give any more advice than that, you'll have to
research compatibility issues for your particular hardware.

| > |
| > |

Ok, thanks...
--

> Maybe, if you device has an external power connection and it
> doesn't work, it may require more power than can be supplied
> by a simple port. Give it a try.
>
> As far as I know, 4 wires are data and the two wires are
> power. The 6 to 4 pin wire cables have a plug that fits a
> standard 6 pin socket and only have 4 wires and a smaller
> plug to connect to the device.
>
> But I can't give any more advice than that, you'll have to
> research compatibility issues for your particular hardware.

> "jel183(UK)" <nospam@myhome.com> wrote in message
> | Jim,
> |
> | If the Firewire device were to have its own power supply -
> e.g. an external
> | hard drive & 6 pin would the 6 > 4 pin cable work with a
> laptop with a 4 pin
> | socket??(Hope that makes sense)
> | --
> | HTH - Any Advice Appreciated - Please Reply To Newsgroup
> Only
> |
> | jel183(UK)
> |
> | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
> in message
> | > The problem is that HP sold a crippled computer with
> only 4
> | > wires in the port. Many devices must have all 6 wires
> | > work. Unless you can buy a PCMCIA card with a Firewire
> | > port, you will have to buy a new computer. I don't know
> for
> | > sure, but there might be some external Firewire hubs
> that
> | > will supply the 5th and 6th wires..
> | >
> | > But you have a hardware problem. You least expensive
> fix
> | > might be to buy a USB 2.0 card reader {I like the Lexar
> USB
> | > 2.0 Multicard, it is fast and handles most format flash
> | > cards and some micro-drives.}
> | >

> | > --
> | > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
> | > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
> | >

> | > "jerryz" <jerryz@comcast.net> wrote in message
> | > connection in the
> a 6
> | > pin female
> and
> | > connected it
> | > card in the reader
> light
> | > in the reader. Does
> this
> | > problem?
> | > |
> | > |

> The problem is that HP sold a crippled computer with only 4
> wires in the port. Many devices must have all 6 wires to
> work. Unless you can buy a PCMCIA card with a Firewire
> port, you will have to buy a new computer. I don't know for
> sure, but there might be some external Firewire hubs that
> will supply the 5th and 6th wires..

I'm not sure this is an issue, as I have a two-year-old Sony VAIO
(PCG-GRX500) with a 4-pin port, and it interfaces with everything I've thown
at it--digital camera, firewire HD, etc.

I did, however, have an earlier VAIO (PCG-F270) with the same connector that
had problems with my Nikon D1 digital camera, but that was a driver issue.
Sony uses "Ilink," a semi-proprietary firewire interface with its own
special drivers, and that was the leak link. Perhaps the HP problem is
similar.