News First $125 AMD Ryzen 7000 Motherboard Hits Back at High Platform Prices

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Yes...if mouse software and Windows were written in machine language...you would have a point.

But input events are a lot more bloated than machine code.
I changed my math to be correct lookat it again.

B = Byte
b = bit
1Byte = 8 bits

Just saying. Not trying to interject. Your point is style valid, 40MB/s is a lot. A mouse packet is only 3-bytes each.
I realized my mistake and corrected.

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
I changed my math to be correct lookat it again.

Files can simply not be made very small because they contain the body of the file. File headers, signature, data definitions.

You can't just send a naked byte of data from an external device through USB for example. The OS would have no idea what to do with it. It has to be packaged.

I don't know how bloated input data is, how bloated is mouse software. But there's a lot more being sent back and forth than the data itself.

Maybe it can fit into 2.0, maybe not. If you used a USB data analyzer you could probably figure out how much data is transferred between gaming mice and windows and if that would result in any delays.

Files can simply not be made very small because they contain the body of the file. File headers, signature, data definitions.

You can't just send a byte of data for example. The OS would have no idea what to do with it. I don't know how bloated input data is, how bloated is mouse software. But there's a lot more being sent back and forth than the data itself.

Maybe it can fit into 2.0, maybe not. If you used a USB data analyzer you could probably figure out how much data is transferred between gaming mice and windows and if that would result in any delays.
USB talks to the computer in three main ways listed below:
  • Interrupt - A device like a mouse or a keyboard, which will be sending very little data, would choose the interrupt mode.
  • Bulk - A device like a printer, which receives data in one big packet, uses the bulk transfer mode. A block of data is sent to the printer (in 64-byte chunks) and verified to make sure it's correct.
  • Isochronous - A streaming device (such as speakers) uses the isochronous mode. Data streams between the device and the host in real-time, and there is no error correction.

Yes...if mouse software and Windows were written in machine language...you would have a point.

But input events are a lot more bloated than machine code.
HID doesn't use isochronous transfers, it uses polled interrupt transfers
so your "oh wow usb 3 has so much bandwith" doesnt really apply to mouses, most mpuses are anyway wired as usb 1 even if they pretend to be usb2/3 mouses

if there is some software on mouse, then some driver stores that in ram, so no, usb3 bandwith again not needed

if you compare old usb2 (pci to pci bridge) with usb2 routed through usb3 (pcie), then you can notice some differences at high polling, but usb2 wired through usb3 (like on mobo above), no diff

Reactions: helper800

klavs

Proper
Feb 27, 2023
We're talking macros that happen in milliseconds, with millisecond delays between events, not seconds.

I've written macro software and used AHK for years. It's worth mentioning that keyboard macros with this speed will fail, because the keyboard buffer gets filled up. A lot of applications are also engineered to expect keyboard data to be "slow", some online games even intentionally ignores keystrokes, if they arrive too quickly.

When looking at speed, we should consider how often we need the speed. If we scan 2 documents per year, it doesn't matter if the scanner connected via USB is slow.

Last edited:
Having used a USB 1.1 scanner quite a few times, I did hit the 1 Mb/s bottleneck regularly. I fail to see the use case where a scanner would saturate USB 2.0's 40 Mb/s, though - maybe with a tray scanner that can scan a whole book in a few seconds, but that's really a niche case. So is the very high resolution scanner with 16-bit subpixel depth - and with a single USB 3 port, you're set - that leaves 3 available for stuff like an external BluRay drive, an external SSD/HD enclosure and one high-speed USB key.
Keyboards, standard USB keys, mice, game controllers etc. will definitely not saturate a single USB 2.0 port in most cases. Even a high performance external sound card would need to playback quite a few channels of uncompressed PCM data to saturate one - and most use some form of compression anyway.

Elusive Ruse

Commendable
Nov 17, 2022
AsRock is great at making value motherboards; I'm pleasantly surprised at how many features they manage to keep while going so low. Good to see AM5 platform costs continue shrinking.

Reactions: helper800

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A scanner or printer should be on a network and will use this motherboards 2.5gb LAN port as a means to send and receive data to the scanner or printer.
Any consumer multifunction scanner
/printer with an Ethernet port I’ve ever seen or used had a whole screaming 100Mb/s transfer rate. Or a USB 2.0 port which while “slow” according to some is actually screaming fast compared to the wired option. I’m sure by now some have moved to 1Gb ports, but I doubt many.

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
I feel like high resolutions scanning is extremely niche. That's the 5% of people I said this motherboard doesn't fit.

I only scan documents when needed for things like getting your mortgage and school paperwork etc.... Black and white, not high res.
Yeah. And most people use wireless printers. So who cares about usb speed for printers? 0.1% of users

Reactions: gggplaya

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
Dimm slots is not a big factor for ddr4 and ddr5 mobos as you can easily get 2 x 16gb sticks which is enough for most people. People who are complaing about the lack of usb ports, they do have 2 x 2 usb 2 headers and 1 2 usb 3 header in the mobo itself so that's also not an issue. I am surprised that beside the cpu header fan, they have 3 system fan whereas most cheap mobos only have 1. Also, inclusion for wifi card is good. My biggest complaint is that it doesn't have led headers to connect to the mobo. Overall, not a bad deal.

AloofBrit

Prominent
Feb 1, 2023
As I said, you can't ask for more than that, and you can't expect more. We're in 2023 and as we all know everything's expensive.

You won't get plenty of lanes and ports, it is to be expected. But at least this board ticks all the boxes for a next-gen upgrade, and there's a USB-C, which is nice..

That USB-C is marked SS 5 though, which means it'll probably be barely any quicker than the USB 3 ports