First Impressions Of Catacombs?

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

Hi,

Since I have been doing the beta, I have my own opinions of Catacombs. I
am interested in hearing from those of you who are just learning about it
with the release. Do you like the new classes? How do you feel about the
lack of /level for them? These are just starter topics, so feel free to
add in your own.

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

Think the lack of /level is a good idea; but then I don't have a 50 lol.
Not that it will slow many 50s down; I would think that it would only take
someone three day to hit 20, with modest playing and no PLing.
I haven't any impression, as the bloody mail order company hasn't shipped my
copies yet :(

Steve

"David Hall" <davehall@u.washington.edu> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Since I have been doing the beta, I have my own opinions of Catacombs. I
> am interested in hearing from those of you who are just learning about it
> with the release. Do you like the new classes? How do you feel about the
> lack of /level for them? These are just starter topics, so feel free to
> add in your own.

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

davehall@u.washington.edu under the intoxicating influence of sherbert
flying saucers said...
> Hi,
>
> Since I have been doing the beta, I have my own opinions of Catacombs. I
> am interested in hearing from those of you who are just learning about it
> with the release. Do you like the new classes? How do you feel about the
> lack of /level for them? These are just starter topics, so feel free to
> add in your own.

Ask me in a year's time. GOA only installed NF on their servers a few
weeks ago :p

--
Mal

Covenant Of Zak (Excalibur/Albion)
Terris, 50 Flex & Slam Reaver ML2 Banelord
Fizzbomb, 32 Fire Wizard
Necrolis, 25 Sight Necro

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

David Hall <davehall@u.washington.edu> wrote:
: Hi,

: Since I have been doing the beta, I have my own opinions of Catacombs. I
: am interested in hearing from those of you who are just learning about it
: with the release. Do you like the new classes? How do you feel about the
: lack of /level for them? These are just starter topics, so feel free to
: add in your own.

I was on the beta test, and pre-ordered Catacombs via Amazon.com in October.
(They still have not shipped it! last time I ever do that), I have to say, I
was really impressed with the graphics upgrade, and I loved the instanced
dungeons.

I had noticed all my artifacts leveled up in the instance dungeons, so they
will be real usefull when I'm in the mood for PvE.

Also, while I am waiting for my catacombs to arrive (damn you amazon!) I got
a 10 day trial for WoW, I'll tell ya, the new character creator in
catacombs beats WoW by a mile, and the graphics are right on par. At least
in my opinion they are.

Mythic did a real good job on this upgrade, and I can't wait to get the live
version of it. (Hopefully today.).

I beta tested it for about a month, and really enjoyed it. I think it will
be a successfull expansion.

-Steve
Aineda 50 BD Guinevere.

--

----
"Knowing others is wisdom, knowing your self is Enlightenment."

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 09:27:31 -0000, Mal Franks <spampit@btinternet.com>
wrote:

>> Since I have been doing the beta, I have my own opinions of Catacombs. I
>> am interested in hearing from those of you who are just learning about it
>> with the release. Do you like the new classes? How do you feel about the
>> lack of /level for them? These are just starter topics, so feel free to
>> add in your own.
>Ask me in a year's time. GOA only installed NF on their servers a few
>weeks ago :p

Have some faith ;)
GOA intend to have 1.71 live before Christmas, Catacombs will probably
be live early March.

--

Thorarin
Tiwaz's Emissaries GM and Webmaster (http://www.tiwaz.org/)

Midgard Excalibur:
Thorarin, 50 Thane, ML10 Battlemaster (1165 AC)
Jydan, 50 Healer Isen Herra, ML10 Perfecter
Thorunn, 50 Shaman buffbot, ML10 Perfecter
Tordek, Warrior 50, ML8 Battlemaster
Mona VolFruit, Shadowblade 50, ML3 Spymaster

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

> >> Since I have been doing the beta, I have my own opinions of Catacombs.
> >> am interested in hearing from those of you who are just learning about
it
> >> with the release. Do you like the new classes? How do you feel about
the
> >> lack of /level for them? These are just starter topics, so feel free
> >> add in your own.
> >Ask me in a year's time. GOA only installed NF on their servers a few
> >weeks ago :p
>
> Have some faith ;)
> GOA intend to have 1.71 live before Christmas, Catacombs will probably
> be live early March.
Yeah, before christmas. And there IS a Santa Claus... -.-

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:39:39 +0100, "bjoern strobach"
<bjoern.strobach@gmx.de> wrote:

>> GOA intend to have 1.71 live before Christmas, Catacombs will probably
>> be live early March.
>Yeah, before christmas. And there IS a Santa Claus... -.-

Myeah, looks like it will be early January instead :<

--

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Mal Franks wrote:

> In article <l1ses09r9o35bvdje02oiihcg2uc38dpfi@4ax.com>,
> thorarin@stripthis.tiwaz.org says...

>>> Yeah, before christmas. And there IS a Santa Claus... -.-
>>
>> Myeah, looks like it will be early January instead :<
>>

> Decided to be naughty while I was spending xmas and new year with the in-
> laws and picked up a copy of DAOC Platinum edition and Catacombs and
> installed them when I got home :)

How is that "naughty"? It isn't like you ignored your in-laws to play the
game, was it? <g>

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

In article <l1ses09r9o35bvdje02oiihcg2uc38dpfi@4ax.com>,
thorarin@stripthis.tiwaz.org says...
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:39:39 +0100, "bjoern strobach"
> <bjoern.strobach@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> >> GOA intend to have 1.71 live before Christmas, Catacombs will probably
> >> be live early March.
> >Yeah, before christmas. And there IS a Santa Claus... -.-
>
> Myeah, looks like it will be early January instead :<

Decided to be naughty while I was spending xmas and new year with the in-
laws and picked up a copy of DAOC Platinum edition and Catacombs and
installed them when I got home :)

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

In article
<Pine.A41.4.61b.0412091037110.231722@homer04.u.washington.edu>,
davehall@u.washington.edu says...
> Hi,
>
> Since I have been doing the beta, I have my own opinions of Catacombs. I
> am interested in hearing from those of you who are just learning about it
> with the release. Do you like the new classes? How do you feel about the
> lack of /level for them? These are just starter topics, so feel free to
> add in your own.

Well the new hibby area looks a hundred times more atmospheric than albs'
boring aqaducts for sure :)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, linuxnut wrote:

> jskeens@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> I'm somewhat new to DOAC. How do you guys get leveled up so fast?
>> I think I got to about lvl 13 and it took me longer than 2 days,
>> unless you mean 48 hours total time.
>
> Alot of people have 2 accounts and run whats called a buff bot. Basically,
> they run a healer/buffer class on their second account and keep the new
> character alive while it kills things that it normally would not be able to.
>
> Doing this you can level up real fast.
>
> I personally think its a form of cheating, and people shouldn't do it. I
> like to earn my levels my self, but be power leveled up. Where's the fun in
> there?
>
> -Steve
>

> --
> "Knowing others is wisdom, knowing your self is Enlightenment." - Lao-Tzu
> Learn the rules of the navasbot at http://www.bestii.com/navas/
> |C8H10N4O2|
> --

Please explain how botting is *cheating*, but PLing isn't.

This oughtta be interesting! <g>

jskeens@gmail.com wrote:

> I'm somewhat new to DOAC. How do you guys get leveled up so fast?
> I think I got to about lvl 13 and it took me longer than 2 days,
> unless you mean 48 hours total time.

Alot of people have 2 accounts and run whats called a buff bot. Basically,
they run a healer/buffer class on their second account and keep the new
character alive while it kills things that it normally would not be able to.

Doing this you can level up real fast.

I personally think its a form of cheating, and people shouldn't do it. I
like to earn my levels my self, but be power leveled up. Where's the fun in
there?

-Steve

--
"Knowing others is wisdom, knowing your self is Enlightenment." - Lao-Tzu
Learn the rules of the navasbot at http://www.bestii.com/navas/
|C8H10N4O2|

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

David Hall <davehall@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> Please explain how botting is *cheating*, but PLing isn't.

Hmm, Did I say one was and the other wasn't? both are cheating, and ruin
the game.

> This oughtta be interesting! <g>

I'm glad you find it interesting.

-Steve

--

linuxnut <linuxnut@sonic.net> wrote:
> jskeens@gmail.com wrote:

> > I'm somewhat new to DOAC. How do you guys get leveled up so fast?
> > I think I got to about lvl 13 and it took me longer than 2 days,
> > unless you mean 48 hours total time.

> Alot of people have 2 accounts and run whats called a buff bot. Basically,
> they run a healer/buffer class on their second account and keep the new
> character alive while it kills things that it normally would not be able to.

> Doing this you can level up real fast.

> I personally think its a form of cheating, and people shouldn't do it. I
> like to earn my levels my self, but be power leveled up. Where's the fun in
> there?

Correction here, 'NOT be power leveled up.' is what I meant to say.. Sorry if
you mis-understood me. (Thanks to the follow up post for pointing out I
made a mistake)

I don't like to be power leveled, and I don't buff bot. As a matter of fact
I only have 1 account, and see no need for 2. I prefer to level up by
finding groups and meeting new people. To me this is the whole point of a
MMORPG. If you are PL'd and/or buff botted, then you do not spend the time
meeting new people, or going to new areas.. You just tend to fly past all
the low level stuff, and you miss alot of the cool content of the game.

I feel the same way about /level, but I have to admit, I have a few /level
characters.. It's to tempting to do it sometimes =)

-Steve

> --
> "Knowing others is wisdom, knowing your self is Enlightenment." - Lao-Tzu
> Learn the rules of the navasbot at http://www.bestii.com/navas/
> |C8H10N4O2|

"Knowing others is wisdom, knowing your self is Enlightenment." - Lao-Tzu
Learn the rules of the navasbot at http://www.bestii.com/navas/
|C8H10N4O2|

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, linuxnut wrote:

> linuxnut <linuxnut@sonic.net> wrote:
>> jskeens@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>> I'm somewhat new to DOAC. How do you guys get leveled up so fast?
>>> I think I got to about lvl 13 and it took me longer than 2 days,
>>> unless you mean 48 hours total time.
>
>> Alot of people have 2 accounts and run whats called a buff bot. Basically,
>> they run a healer/buffer class on their second account and keep the new
>> character alive while it kills things that it normally would not be able to.
>
>> Doing this you can level up real fast.
>
>> I personally think its a form of cheating, and people shouldn't do it. I
>> like to earn my levels my self, but be power leveled up. Where's the fun in
>> there?
>
> Correction here, 'NOT be power leveled up.' is what I meant to say.. Sorry if
> you mis-understood me. (Thanks to the follow up post for pointing out I
> made a mistake)
>
> I don't like to be power leveled, and I don't buff bot. As a matter of fact
> I only have 1 account, and see no need for 2. I prefer to level up by
> finding groups and meeting new people. To me this is the whole point of a
> MMORPG. If you are PL'd and/or buff botted, then you do not spend the time
> meeting new people, or going to new areas.. You just tend to fly past all
> the low level stuff, and you miss alot of the cool content of the game.
>
> I feel the same way about /level, but I have to admit, I have a few /level
> characters.. It's to tempting to do it sometimes =)
>
> -Steve

Correction accepted. I do disagree about running two accounts. What is
the difference between you running two accounts (which Mythic even
*provides* for in allowing two windows running at the same time) and you
leveling with a relative or close friend in the same room? My wife and I
play daily together, as do many other couples. We have more than one
computer each, so we don't have to do it in Windowed Mode. My 12 YO son,
who doesn't live with me, gets on when he can. Yes, we bot, but what's
the real difference?

I like that the new classes don't get /level, since they (at least in Mid)
are rather different than previous classes. The newbie time allows you to
figure the nuiances out by the 20 and 40 respecs.

I have never been a fan of PLing. Our guild (wife is GM) has a rule that
no one, especially candidates, are allowed to ask to be PLed. Sure, it
happens, but it doesn't supported officially guild-wide. We will do guild
groups to help the lowers get into areas they couldn't do otherwise, but
that's because we want to do them, anyhow.

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

David Hall <davehall@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> Correction accepted. I do disagree about running two accounts. What is
> the difference between you running two accounts (which Mythic even
> *provides* for in allowing two windows running at the same time) and you
> leveling with a relative or close friend in the same room? My wife and I
> play daily together, as do many other couples. We have more than one
> computer each, so we don't have to do it in Windowed Mode. My 12 YO son,
> who doesn't live with me, gets on when he can. Yes, we bot, but what's
> the real difference?

It's my opinion that boting is an unfair advantage, just another case where
people can throw money at something to get the upper hand on those who
can't. People do it, Mythic don't mind that they do it, so most think its
ok to do it. I personally don't like it.

I use to 2box when I played EverQuest, I could get a new character from
level 1 to level 40 in a day or 2, but I soon realized, this was making the
game redundant, and boring. That's about when I decided I didn't like 2
boxing or boting as we call it on DAoC =)

> I like that the new classes don't get /level, since they (at least in Mid)
> are rather different than previous classes. The newbie time allows you to
> figure the nuiances out by the 20 and 40 respecs.

I agree 100% here. I'm playing a Vampiir, fun class, and I am glad I didn't
(couldn't) /level him. I don't think I would have had as much fun with him
if I did. I know how to play the class now =)

> I have never been a fan of PLing. Our guild (wife is GM) has a rule that
> no one, especially candidates, are allowed to ask to be PLed. Sure, it
> happens, but it doesn't supported officially guild-wide. We will do guild
> groups to help the lowers get into areas they couldn't do otherwise, but
> that's because we want to do them, anyhow.

Yeah, guild groups are fun, and I agree with you on PL'ing, and glad to see
some guilds are now against it. Actually, most are it seems. PL'ing is
like /leveling, you just don't learn the class as well this way. And if
your guild is full of power leveled noobs, then your guild is not going to
own to many keeps =)

-Steve

Aienda Level 50 BD Guinevere (Retired)
Tanaman Level 23 Vampiir Nimue (Active)
Fratm Level 42 Reaver Percival (Retired)

--

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, linuxnut wrote:

> David Hall <davehall@u.washington.edu> wrote:
>> Correction accepted. I do disagree about running two accounts. What is
>> the difference between you running two accounts (which Mythic even
>> *provides* for in allowing two windows running at the same time) and you
>> leveling with a relative or close friend in the same room? My wife and I
>> play daily together, as do many other couples. We have more than one
>> computer each, so we don't have to do it in Windowed Mode. My 12 YO son,
>> who doesn't live with me, gets on when he can. Yes, we bot, but what's
>> the real difference?
>
> It's my opinion that boting is an unfair advantage, just another case where
> people can throw money at something to get the upper hand on those who
> can't. People do it, Mythic don't mind that they do it, so most think its
> ok to do it. I personally don't like it.
>
> I use to 2box when I played EverQuest, I could get a new character from
> level 1 to level 40 in a day or 2, but I soon realized, this was making the
> game redundant, and boring. That's about when I decided I didn't like 2
> boxing or boting as we call it on DAoC =)

I understand your position, and defend your right to have it. I have so
*many* (double digit) accounts with so *many* (high double digit,
approaching triple digit if all activated with ten slot Catacombs) toons
that, if I didn't bot, it would take me twice as long to do MLs,
artifacts, etc.

>> I like that the new classes don't get /level, since they (at least in Mid)
>> are rather different than previous classes. The newbie time allows you to
>> figure the nuiances out by the 20 and 40 respecs.
>
> I agree 100% here. I'm playing a Vampiir, fun class, and I am glad I didn't
> (couldn't) /level him. I don't think I would have had as much fun with him
> if I did. I know how to play the class now =)
>

>> I have never been a fan of PLing. Our guild (wife is GM) has a rule that
>> no one, especially candidates, are allowed to ask to be PLed. Sure, it
>> happens, but it doesn't supported officially guild-wide. We will do guild
>> groups to help the lowers get into areas they couldn't do otherwise, but
>> that's because we want to do them, anyhow.
>
> Yeah, guild groups are fun, and I agree with you on PL'ing, and glad to see
> some guilds are now against it. Actually, most are it seems. PL'ing is
> like /leveling, you just don't learn the class as well this way. And if
> your guild is full of power leveled noobs, then your guild is not going to
> own to many keeps =)

I should clarify one thing on our guild PLing. If it is a long-standing
high-level player looking to grow a new class, we bend the rules somewhat.
We would much rather have the person participate with both than not at
all, if the situation allows for it. They have paid their dues, know what
they are doing, and don't need the grind to be up to speed. It is a
compromise to the no /level opportunity. It's the candidates and total
newbies that we are strictest in enforcing. We want to see how they
handle things without whining and begging for the easy way. That's the
surest reason to *not* get accepted permanently.

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:06:30 GMT, linuxnut <linuxnut@sonic.net> wrote:

>Hmm, Did I say one was and the other wasn't? both are cheating, and ruin
>the game.

They might ruin the game, but they're definitely not cheating. There's a
difference between cheat and cheese :p

--

Thorarin
Tiwaz's Emissaries GM and Webmaster (http://www.tiwaz.org/)
European Eye & Ear team (Excalibur Midgard)

Midgard Excalibur:
Thorarin, 50 Thane, ML10 Battlemaster (1165 AC)
Jydan, 50 Healer Isen Herra, ML10 Perfecter
Thorunn, 50 Shaman buffbot, ML10 Perfecter
Tordek, Warrior 50, ML8 Battlemaster
Mona VolFruit, Shadowblade 50, ML3 Spymaster

Archived from groups: alt.games.dark-age-of-camelot (More info?)

> It's my opinion that boting is an unfair advantage, just another
case where
> people can throw money at something to get the upper hand on those
who
> can't. People do it, Mythic don't mind that they do it, so most
think its
> ok to do it. I personally don't like it.

The new Vampiir class in Catacombs gets automatic stat boosts every
level roughly equivalent to healer's buffs, and cannot benefit from
further stat buffs. The explicit design goal for this class was to
level the playing field for players who don't wish to or cannot run a
buffbot. It was a great idea and they did a good job of it.

TRENDING THREADS