First Major Windows 10 Update Drops Today

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tpcs1980

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015
These updates to Edge are basically meaningless. WHAT did Microsoft advertise that they promised Edge would be? " A modern day browser built from the ground up that will feature full support for CHROME EXTENSIONS!"
1. No full screen mode..STILL!! This is 2015. Even IE9 had a full screen mode. IE10 AND IE11's full screen modes are perfect. Why is Microsoft IGNORING this???? (facepalm)
2. Noi chrome extensions support. No plugins or extensions support....PERIOD. epic failure and nice job FALSELY advertising since win 10 has been OUT of beta/tech preview stages since July 29th.

Modern browser? For what year....1985...1990? -_-. Back to chrome I go.

tpcs1980

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015

Yeah, you download the driver from the manufacturer just like you would use the same common sense with the vid card/gpu driver, and if needs be the lan and wlan drivers as well as for sound. Microsoft is not responsible for your toshiba mouse problem or whatever brand your mouse is if it isn't Microsoft.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Well, I am pretty sure that ppl using N edition are boned till MS updates the Media Pack. Now my BLOPS 3 won't work!!!!! Get MFPLAT.DLL missing since the TH2 update.

Machistmo

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
Well the comment about the software management of BYOD devices is a bit premature. Just had The Microsoft Intune Company Portal App blow up 500 BYOD phones in a live test. Removing email accounts over and over and refusing to install or register the device or remove once install etc. etc. We removed the policy requiring it and are waiting on a fix for it.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
K, If anyone has the N version of Windows 10. the 1511 updates break the Media feature Pack. And trying to reinstall it doesn't work. MS has to update the Media Pack for 1511. I know this because I reinstalled N 1511 2 times by the Media creation tool, and these were fresh installs, and I had games that error saying I didn't have the pack installed. Which I did reinstall. Well, I got the Normal Windows 10 and guess what, all is good with my games. So, to re iterate. Anyone with Windows 10 N edition. DO NOT INSTALL 1511 or it will ruin your Media feature pack. Until MS updates it to work with 1511 update. Hope this helps people.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Updates are fine and all, except for when it does a Ninja updates and shuts down my PC in the middle of Fallout 4 when I haven't saved in some time.
With all due respect Microsoft has an update mechanism built-into Windows 10 and it pops up a notification 30, 15 and 5 minutes before the automatic restart to install updates.
If you got "Ninja'd" you ignored the update it was popping up.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
The updates are just wonderful, as now I cannot even rollback my driver to get my mouse to work on my Toshiba. >:| Does anybody know how to fix this?
A driver update for your mouse should not have disabled your mouse unless you installed the wrong driver or one of those stupid "Compatible with but not genuine" drivers that DriverMax and others try to foist on you in their free tier of driver updates.

james_69

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
I have another computer that I also updated to windows 10, over the internet connection on that computer (a process I have dubbed "snail fail"). That internet connection has not worked since (6-8 wks.), and has been the subject of a continuous goround on this site since.

Since then I have been forced to try and find a standalone file that I can download to a USB flashdrive and transfer and run on the disabled machine. Finally found Threshold 2, in Windows Catalogue site! Yea.

Found 2 files, actually, called W****** 10 1511; downloaded both, transferred both, tried to install both; beginning with the x64 version. For both, I got the message. 'this file can not be installed on this computer!!!'

If not, what's the point of a standalone?

I guess I'll just have to wait while my hair gets whiter and finally falls out, while the softbrains at Microsoft try to understand what STANDALONE!!! means.

Didn't mean to go on and on but I'm a little disappointed in " Tom's Hardware " being a mouthpiece for Microsoft.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

With all due respect your story reeks of untruth. I downloaded the tools to make a USB stick to install Windows 10 and it did not tell me on the proper version that "This file cannot be installed on this computer!"

What operating system are you currently running? If it is Windows XP or earlier you are going to have to do a clean installation using the USB drive at bootup.

Also as to the internet problems: Go to Device Manager, uninstall the driver that Windows 10 put in or that you put in (most likely the latter case) and tell it to scan for new device. It should automatically find and install a basic driver or the actual driver for your device.

james_69

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012

Hi, Christopher1...... thanx for your thoughts; The system I am currently running IS Windows 10, which I installed over the internet when I could still get on the internet with that computer. I have already downloaded and installed the 1st 'Service Release' , using the USB flashdrive to transfer the standalone update(around 400MB, as I recall)....hoping that update would solve the internet connection problem; didn't. (installed no problem)

So I went to the Windows Update Catalogue Site, downloaded both the new files available (one had the x64 in the file name) and tried to install both these standalone updates, to no avail. These were labelled '1511'

I have gone through two brand-new USB wireless adapters, one Asus, and one D-Link, and though both recorded as being properly installed in Device Manager, Windows 10 would not detect any networks, though I have many available, including the one through which I am sending you this update, on my laptop. The major point is not that I am trying to install Windows 10.... I've already done that; I want the updates to install.
Any other thoughts?

Just a thought.... I've been doing computers since 1970, you know, punch cards.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Do you have a bug in a vacuum tube?
My thought is there is something wrong with your wireless adapter. Try a direct link. If that works then it is settings with your wireless adapter.

wc4r

Reputable
Nov 18, 2015
When I read that a forced Windows update and restart of a user's PC happened during a GAME he was playing and he was upset, I had to laugh. Really, lost gaming work? Hardly an economic hardship. Life is tough for some folks. :rofl:

May 9, 2015
Log onto the URL for full details and instructions on how to stop automatic updates in Windows 10.
http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/

skris88

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013
Pity. They're not including Windows Media Centre.

Yet? :)

The unofficial add-on that is available 'works', but I cannot get it to recognise a very basic simple USB TV tuner (which simply works, in Win7).

Just watching my old DVRMS and WTV files using the (great) MCE 10 foot interface is not enough. I want to be able to use Win10 to record my free-to-air TV Series shows automatically like I used to, with Win7.

Especially since the forums are full of claims that Home users of Windows NOT upgrading to Win10 is not possible.

You cannot 'upgrade' my PCs and remove a - to MCE users - critical component.

Please Microsoft. Please bring back WMC. PLEASE!

tpcs1980

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015

*** Why are you still using a MICROSOFT product to consume media content? This is 2015, not the 90's when WMP and IE were basically you're only options, for the most part.
VLC media player DOES....IT.....ALL, and it has been doing it all since almost day one of its creation. So you now you enjoy the freedom of one more product in which you'll never have to HOPE microCRAP won't take away from you to be dependent on.
Btw, it's also cross platform, Linux, Mac OSX, Windows, Android, Windows Mobile, and yes even iOS.

scottfree1_01

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2012
It only took a half dozen retry's to get it installed, and the main new "feature" seems to be and error message regarding it's inability to access it's ms account with a "parameter incorrect" error. You know the account they forced upon you in their efforts to overtake google and retake the #1 spot on the most evil charts.

Microsoft Working Hard to Meet Your Expectations, Working Harder to Lower Them..

scottfree1_01

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2012
While I'm thinkin about it, is it just me or are the sound input controls all flubared for everyone? The drop-down in the volume mixer for recording devices just gone? Drill down to the speaker control panel and the levels for inputs, set the volume level only to have windows decide to mute it over and over again, then to make its point the level slider vanishes before your very eyes, those along with raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens are some of my win 10 favorite things..

HumbleSage

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2013

Yea, I know but the point is we as consumers (and especially as IT professionals) shouldn't have to worry about that. There is absolutely no reason that MS needs to be gathering the excessive information with Windows 10 that they do. It's spying, plain and simple. Let's not digress into that on this thread though. I'm sure you know where I'm coming from. :)

scottfree1_01

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2012

No worries, the ave. ms user (probably not anyone here) is most likely unaware of MS vs Google death match to see who can violate their customers privacy in the most egregious ways. So whenever I see the problem mentioned, and not the solution, well not the solution, but at least something the little guy can do to push-back, gotta throw it out..

HumbleSage

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2013

Agreed. That's been going on for a while. How about Apple telling you that you will no longer own their OS (iOS) anymore either. That alone would make me jump ship if I was an Apple user LOL. I'm a strong supporter of perpetual licensing on everything. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.