First Major Windows 10 Update Drops Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indirectllama

Reputable
Feb 19, 2014
Updates are fine and all, except for when it does a Ninja updates and shuts down my PC in the middle of Fallout 4 when I haven't saved in some time. Hope this update included a warning system as to when it will restart your PC for a update. It was less about the game and more of the fact as it scared me, everything just shut off, I thought my some part of my PC had melted due to the game. Then when I turned it back on it should the Windows updating screen, I was not amused.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
I just moved, until I get hooked up to a dsl connection I'm stuck tethering off my phone. I don't have the data for large windows updates. Is there a way to disable auto updates?

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I did the same thing. I thought it was like other windows OS. It asked when I would like to restart. I put in 1 hour. Exactly 1 hour later it restarted instead of confirming.

braneman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
I just moved, until I get hooked up to a dsl connection I'm stuck tethering off my phone. I don't have the data for large windows updates. Is there a way to disable auto updates?

Nope, Microsoft explicitly removed anything that would allow you to delay updates when you're on a data cap, or if an update throws you into an endless reboot cycle.

McWhiskey

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015
Updates are fine and all, except for when it does a Ninja updates and shuts down my PC in the middle of Fallout 4 when I haven't saved in some time. Hope this update included a warning system as to when it will restart your PC for a update. It was less about the game and more of the fact as it scared me, everything just shut off, I thought my some part of my PC had melted due to the game. Then when I turned it back on it should the Windows updating screen, I was not amused.

I was trying to recover some data on a hard drive. I was doing a deep scan. I had about an hour to go. I ran out real quick. I came back to find my empty desktop and no running programs. apparently the scan had stopped and an update was installed. No sign of the scan results. No sign I had even run the scan. It took me a while to figure out what happened. I too was not amused.

Of course you can.... MS isn't out to get everyone, it's the same features as before with a slightly difference skin.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014

Nope, Microsoft explicitly removed anything that would allow you to delay updates when you're on a data cap, or if an update throws you into an endless reboot cycle.

Uh, guys, you can just disable the Windows Update service, even in Home edition.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0O55D3pE_s

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
Does Windows 10 boot faster now? The Microsoft blog article 'First Major Update for Windows 10 Available Today'
says "Performance in everyday tasks, such as boot time now nearly 30% faster than Windows 7 on the same device."
Misleading if there is no improvement with the update. http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2015/11/12/first-major-update-for-windows-10-available-today/

alextheblue

Distinguished

One option is to turn on Metered Connection - I think the option is "set as a metered connection". That limits data usage behavior of a lot of things, actually, not just Windows updates.

There's other methods too like disabling updates altogether. I don't generally recommend that one but if Metered Connection interferes with something you're trying to do it's an option - just turn it back on once you get better internet or when you are on public wifi.

ErikVinoya

Honorable
May 11, 2014

Tell that to my laptop with pending updates dating back to August LOL.

whimseh

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Despite not really updating or adding anything beneficial whatsoever, it is kind of annoying that I still haven't gotten the update. (Even with Professional) and having it since release day.

reichg

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015

you can block windows updates and some other programs updates if you turn on metered connections for that type of adapter you are using (ex. wifi, ethernet)

heres at site that shows u how
http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I can't believe you people tolerate windows 10. I switched back the same night that I installed it. Windows 7 is fine. Hell, 8.1 is fine. Windows detects 10 fixed a few things and ruined a lot more. They just don't get it. Once windows 7 hits end of life, I guess it will be time to use Ubuntu gnome full time.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
I can't believe you people tolerate windows 10. I switched back the same night that I installed it. Windows 7 is fine. Hell, 8.1 is fine. Windows detects 10 fixed a few things and ruined a lot more. They just don't get it. Once windows 7 hits end of life, I guess it will be time to use Ubuntu gnome full time.

Unfortunately there's not much of an option if you're a gamer that owns a decent rig and enjoys "eye candy". No Win10 means no DX12. Although there are only a few games that are using DX12 (most are tech demos) it will be the future of gaming on PC.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007

I'm not sure how you guys have managed to have Win10 shut the computer off in the middle of using it. That has not happened to me at all since I started running it. I guess you should try, "Notify to schedule restart"

Sarah_6

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015
The updates are just wonderful, as now I cannot even rollback my driver to get my mouse to work on my Toshiba. >:| Does anybody know how to fix this?

TIWH

Honorable
May 29, 2013
Unfortunately there's not much of an option if you're a gamer that owns a decent rig and enjoys "eye candy". No Win10 means no DX12. Although there are only a few games that are using DX12 (most are tech demos) it will be the future of gaming on PC.

But until then there'd be no reason to move to Windows 10. And that's not even taking into account DX12 might turn out as useless as DX10. I made the move to 8 from XP like two years ago because there was no other way to keep up with newer games and also because performance-wise it gave the entire system an edge, unlike Vista and 7; this round though I don't see any pros if not many cons in doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.