[SOLVED] First PC - Need help with upgrade.

Nov 29, 2020
Hi,

I brought this rig and back in 2015 and it has treated me well. I am looking to either upgrade some parts where needed or if the whole system is completely outdated then I will have to start from scratch. Wanting some advise before I start buying parts, I'm not wanting a top of the line PC. Around $500 budget atm.

Power: FSP Raider RA-650 650W Power Supply
Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 mATX AM3+ (125W) DDR3 Motherboard
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor, 4000 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Ram: 16GB DDR3-1600 Ripjaw (4x4GB)
Graphics: Radeon R9 200 Series

Any advise will be very appreciated,
Thanks.

Solution
About the only thing you could upgrade is the video card.
But that would not really be advisable with your current power supply.
I would upgrade
Motherboard
memory
processor
power supply.
And if budget allows an SSD for windows and Swap file.
Keep your current video card for now. you can upgrade it later when prices settle down from the latest new card launches.
Something like this maybe.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XZkGj2
Nov 29, 2020
Yeah I've used the PC for gaming for the last 5 years but I've noticed it loosing fps in games like Counter Strike, Dayz and Cod. Wanting to upgrade some parts where needed so I can run new games without dropping frames. Looking at the parts in the PC they seem to be very outdated.

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
Is monitor 1080p 60hz? Is OS on a SSD?

An upgrade to Sata SSD for OS can give the little performance boost. If normal times could suggest Ryzen 3600 $175, B550 motherboard $130 and saw some 32gb ram $75 wow. This leave you with little or no money left for gpu but its a bit of an either or thing I think. Supply stock is getting cleaned out so might not even ben able to track down cpu for price. Not sure what gpu ecommend might work with your motherboard.

About the only thing you could upgrade is the video card.
But that would not really be advisable with your current power supply.
I would upgrade
Motherboard
memory
processor
power supply.
And if budget allows an SSD for windows and Swap file.
Keep your current video card for now. you can upgrade it later when prices settle down from the latest new card launches.
Something like this maybe.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XZkGj2

Solution