First Pre-Built Desktop With AMD's $900 FX-9590 Spotted

Status
Not open for further replies.

rostrow416

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
Lol to whoever pays the premium for this. I see it at half the price after both people actually blow 4500 on it. I've always favored amd but let's be realistic.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012
At $300-$500 this would have been interesting as AMD's version of the monster cpu. But at $900 it is a joke... And it will probably make them a lot of money with OEM's so at least that is good because god knows they need it...

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
The ideal situation would be that these have been binned throughout the 83xx series' production and can use less power.

The reality is obviously far less palatable. An 8320 or 8350 system with water cooling is far more attractive and available for far less. Watch even the 9590 bottleneck that 8990.

Tests of such hardware would be very interesting, regardless of my reservations.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Erm just to remind folks I threw out a AMD S939 FX57 a few days ago. They retailed initially for $1000 back in 2005.

So allow for inflation...

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

The article says "MSI 9990FXA-GD80" which hasn't been announced. See the extra 9?

FX9590 is now rebranded by the Toms Armchair experts as a overclocked FX8350 yet nobody knows for sure without reviews, we saw the A10 6800K clock for clock run higher clocks on far less power and heat than the 5800K it replaced. The FX9590 while its running at 4.8-5ghz turbo is not limited to those clocks and some having privy to this chip call it a world record breaker on air or exotic cooling so it must overclock a lot well beyond what the silicon of the 8350 can handle. The unofficial leaks also show it running between the 4770K and 3930K in various performances and that is not surprising knowing that higher frequency will mitigate the IPC penalties a lower clocked unit will suffer.

For exteme overclockers I think the FX9590 is going to be a legitimate appeal but to the working class this chip like the Phenom TWKR's is not for you.

G

If this cpu wil be 180€ it's a nice comeback and smart move of AMD. Single thread is the most important to have that fast feel on a system. That's why the new Ceo decided not to make the 20 core Opteron, but instead more GHZ/core. Cores are very welcome don't get me wrong the more the better (if you need them) but in 2013 the minimum per core should be 5Ghz.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
horrible system, for that price, even without the insane price markup the company does, you you could build an intel based system for a fraction of the cost and get the same or better performance.

That CPU is just a factory overclocked FX-8350 Which even when pushed to 5GHz, struggles to keep up with a non overclocked core i7 3770k (and is still when it comes to general computing and gaming by a stock 3070k. Even at high clock speeds, the 8350 does not reach the single threaded performance of a stock 3770k and so for games and applications not taking full advantage of 8 threads, you still end up with sub par performance.

Only difference is with the fx-9590, you are spending nearly 3 times the price the less performance, twice the power consumption, and still have sub par single threaded performance.

If you can afford to spend $900 on a CPU, then go and buy a core i7 3939k for $300 less (which will be faster in both single threaded and multithreaded performance at stock speeds (with room to overclock) than the FX-9590 which is already pretty much at the max it can handle.

The way you tell when a CPU has reached it's max overclock is when you start to get exponential increases in power consumption with relatively little additional clock speeds.

looks more like an opinion or thumbsuck and probably far off the reality. In the absence of anything official I think anything relating to power usage on this part is purely speculative opinion.

Phenom II TWKR's had exagerated TDP's for overclocking purposes and I assume the same is in this part, it may run off a 140W TDP like the 8350 but has a max TDP around 220W. The last unofficial link from WCCTech had it matching or beating a 4770K competing against the 3820 and 3930K in some workloads and the same holds true, while the modular architecture suffers penalties in IPC throughput the higher the clock the more it is mitigated. The 6800K improved single and multithreaded performance over the 5800K on minimal bumps but more impressively uses around 25-30% less power both running at 4.1ghz, S/A reported that AMD stumbled onto a secret but such article was closed to public viewing, and perhaps in a few regards AMD have found the reigns on stable operation at higher clocks.

Its all speculative so don't get all wound up and so what if a OEM sells it for $900.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS