Question first time booting, stuck on F2 or DEL

Feb 8, 2020
I just finished assemble my new PC and I cant get any further that the TUF gaming screen, where it says, please press Del or F2 to enter the UEFI BIOS settings.

The POST on the motherboard went all good, the lights were going on and off. The boot light on the motherboard is on and green. Then when I try to press F2 or Del, nothing happens.

I have tried all your trouble shooting, but nothing works.
-I have tried every USB plug on the PC
-the light on my keyboard is on, but nothing works.
-I have tried 2 different keyboard, both has lights going on, nothing happens with either. (both works on another PC)
-There is no other device pluged in, except for my HDMI cable screen (plug into my GPU, not the motherboard)
-every component of the PC is well pluged. (verified every single connection)

Here is my build :
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
Be Quiet Dark Rock pro 4
G Skill Ripjaws V Serires 16gb DDR4-3200
Gigabyte RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB Windforce OC 3x
Corsair RM750w 80+ gold

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020
Try a PS/2 to USB adapter for your keyboard...or even better a PS/2 keyboard if you have an old one...the BIOS isn't recognizing your USB keyboards.
Both USB keyboard ive tried had the lights on does it still means the bios doesnt recognize my usb keyboard ? there was no reaction to any key though, I tried to hit the num lock or caps and the lights that indicates these keys werent turning on.

Feb 8, 2020
That might mean its frozen. Can you try a PS/2 keyboard after reseting CMOS battery?
Ive already tried taking out the CMOS battery, waiting like 10 min and put it back, didnt make any difference.
Ill try the PS/2 Keyboard, but if this doesnt work, do you see anything other possible problems ?

Feb 8, 2020
Can my motherboard be dead ?
Would I be able to see that TUF Gaming screen with the text on the bottom of screen saying please press F2 or Del.... ?

Feb 8, 2020
Did you try a PS/2 keyboard?
Heat or bad/incompatible RAM can cause freezing.

Yes I found a PS/2 Keyboard, it didnt work.
I dont think it is heat, as the Pc is running for less than 30 sec each time.

My ram is F4-3200C16D-16GVGB
it says support intel on the packaging, but the G.Skill Ripjaws website says it is compatible with the Asus Tuf X570 plus Wifi.
PcPartPicker also says it is compatible.
Although, I just searched on the Asus Tuf website and they doesnt say this item number is compatible with their motherboard.
here are some picture :
View: https://i.imgur.com/4IUC0ld.jpg

View: https://i.imgur.com/QQyZi7p.png

what do you think ?

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020
If Asus doesn't list it as compatible, it has a great chance of not working. I would return it and get one listed on the Asus website.

so I tried to start the PC only with CPU, GPU and ram, and it worked, nothing else plugged.
Looks like when im plugging my SSD its what make my PC freeze.

I have a SSD NVME (WD SN550)
-Am I suppose to set up some something in the BIOS before plugging my SSD ?
-Is it most probably my SSD that is defective ?

so I tried to start the PC only with CPU, GPU and ram, and it worked, nothing else plugged.
Looks like when im plugging my SSD its what make my PC freeze.

I have a SSD NVME (WD SN550)
-Am I suppose to set up some something in the BIOS before plugging my SSD ?
-Is it most probably my SSD that is defective ?
Did you fully inserted it?
Mine wasn't detected because it wasn't well inserted even though the golden part was all in. I moved it a bit and it got detected.

Feb 8, 2020
Did you fully inserted it?
Mine wasn't detected because it wasn't well inserted even though the golden part was all in. I moved it a bit and it got detected.

ill retry to be sure.
But if it doesnt work do you think my SSD is dead ?
just to make sure, I only have this SSD NVME as my storage, it is ok right ?

Feb 8, 2020
it happens, on some MSI boards you have to go to legacy mode and force boot order the first time thru. Booting UEFI mode, the PC ignores other devices/drives which weren't part of the last config.

Maybe select legacy mode and see if it's shown in boot order

I selected Legacy mode, replaced my SSD and I still had that frozen image of Tuf Gaming, saying press f2 or Del to access to Bios. Nothing is responding at this point.

And in the Advanced Tab does the NVMe SSD show?

Once you enable CSM you also should be able to play
with Boot Device Control and Boot from Storage Devices settings.
Your SSD should show if you play around with those settings

I selected Legacy mode, replaced my SSD and I still had that frozen image of Tuf Gaming, saying press f2 or Del to access to Bios. Nothing is responding at this point.

Feb 8, 2020
And in the Advanced Tab does the NVMe SSD show?

Once you enable CSM you also should be able to play
with Boot Device Control and Boot from Storage Devices settings.
Your SSD should show if you play around with those settings
The problem is when I place the SSD in the slot and I try booting the PC, my PC freeze to the image where I See : TUF Gaming, please press F2 or Del to access UEFI BIOS setting. From there, nothing respond.

when I take off the SSD, I can get pass this image and access to the BIOS, but this is without the SSD plugged.
So I cant see the SSD on when Im in the BIOS because there is no SSD plugged in.

The problem is when I place the SSD in the slot and I try booting the PC, my PC freeze to the image where I See : TUF Gaming, please press F2 or Del to access UEFI BIOS setting. From there, nothing respond.

when I take off the SSD, I can get pass this image and access to the BIOS, but this is without the SSD plugged.
So I cant see the SSD on when Im in the BIOS because there is no SSD plugged in.
RMA or return the SSD and get a new one but before try updating your bios to the latest version and see if it still freezes with the ssd.