Question First time builder; feedback please

Oct 6, 2022
I’ve gone back and forth over the years about getting a PC for gaming and have mostly ever played The Sims and could do so fairly well on my Mac and wasn’t a huge gamer. Lately I’ve gotten A LOT more into it, delving into console pretty heavily with the PS5 but am also interested in expanding into PC gaming as well. My last PC was well over a decade ago and by no stretch of the imagination was it a gaming PC and it’s since left a sour taste in my mouth toward PC but w/a pre-built machine not made for gaming, it’s no surprise I was left wanting. So anyway I’m ready to dive into the world of PC and have been doing a lot of reading lately about it and have tried coming up with my own build and was looking for some feedback from people who have built their own or just have been in the game longer than me. Below are my proposed specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Ryzen 7 5000 Series 8-Core 3.4 GHz Socket AM4 105W Desktop Processor - 100-100000651WOF

GPU: ASRock Radeon RX 6700 XT Challenger D Gaming Graphic Card, 12GB GDDR6 VRAM, AMD RDNA2 (RX6700XT CLD 12G)

Motherboard: ASUS Prime X670-P WiFi Socket AM5 (LGA 1718) Ryzen 7000 ATX Motherboard (DDR5, Three M.2 Slots, USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Type-C, USB4 Support, WiFi 6 and 2.5Gb Ethernet)
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance RGB RT 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) AMD Optimized Desktop Memory Model CMN32GX4M2Z3200C16

case: LIAN LI LANCOOL II MESH C RGB SNOW WHITE Tempered Glass ATX Case - White Color, Type C Included - LANCOOL II MESH C RGB-S

Power: CORSAIR RMx Series (2021) RM650x CP-9020198-NA 650 W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Power Supply

Storage: WD_BLACK SN850X NVMe M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 4.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) WDS100T2X0E

CPU cooler: MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, 360mm Radiator, Triple PWM, ARGB Lighting Controlled by Software LGA 1700 Ready / AM5 Compatible
**as a note the room it’ll be in gets warm as it’s upstairs in basically and attic so cooling is very important

Any feedback/opinions etc are welcome. Thank you!

I see 1 TB total storage.

Any chance that might get crowded over time? Do you have any idea how much your storage requirements have grown per year over the last 10 years?

Not sure how much benefit you'd get from PCI-E 4.0 for simple storage. You might consider 2 SSDs: A smallish (maybe 500 GB) 4.0 for the boot drive and a largish (2 TB?) 3.0 for storage.

That's a good PSU. Someone will probably tell you that you need 850 watts for various reasons.

Try to get reviews of that specific MSI cooler if you haven't already. You'll never know about how well it does until it is installed in your PC at your room temperatures under a typical load.

Oct 6, 2022
Thanks for the reply. Storage is one of those things I feel I always get wrong. I’m sure it’s fair to say getting more storage wouldn’t be a bad idea but I don’t really know much about how much storage I could conceivably need in the future. As of now, I doubt I’d need much as I don’t game much on my computer but on console instead but would like to branch out and likely do a fair bit of both.

As for your other suggestions, it seems I’ve got some more research to do as I’m not even sure exactly what a PCI-E is ideal for/what it is not what the alternatives are (where I put together the build almost all we’re that) and I need to look more into having multiple storage components for different things I guess. But glad to know I’m at least off to a decent start. Thanks

I’ve gone back and forth over the years about getting a PC for gaming and have mostly ever played The Sims and could do so fairly well on my Mac and wasn’t a huge gamer. Lately I’ve gotten A LOT more into it, delving into console pretty heavily with the PS5 but am also interested in expanding into PC gaming as well. My last PC was well over a decade ago and by no stretch of the imagination was it a gaming PC and it’s since left a sour taste in my mouth toward PC but w/a pre-built machine not made for gaming, it’s no surprise I was left wanting. So anyway I’m ready to dive into the world of PC and have been doing a lot of reading lately about it and have tried coming up with my own build and was looking for some feedback from people who have built their own or just have been in the game longer than me. Below are my proposed specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Ryzen 7 5000 Series 8-Core 3.4 GHz Socket AM4 105W Desktop Processor - 100-100000651WOF

GPU: ASRock Radeon RX 6700 XT Challenger D Gaming Graphic Card, 12GB GDDR6 VRAM, AMD RDNA2 (RX6700XT CLD 12G)

Motherboard: ASUS Prime X670-P WiFi Socket AM5 (LGA 1718) Ryzen 7000 ATX Motherboard (DDR5, Three M.2 Slots, USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Type-C, USB4 Support, WiFi 6 and 2.5Gb Ethernet)
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance RGB RT 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) AMD Optimized Desktop Memory Model CMN32GX4M2Z3200C16

case: LIAN LI LANCOOL II MESH C RGB SNOW WHITE Tempered Glass ATX Case - White Color, Type C Included - LANCOOL II MESH C RGB-S

Power: CORSAIR RMx Series (2021) RM650x CP-9020198-NA 650 W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Power Supply

Storage: WD_BLACK SN850X NVMe M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 4.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) WDS100T2X0E

CPU cooler: MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, 360mm Radiator, Triple PWM, ARGB Lighting Controlled by Software LGA 1700 Ready / AM5 Compatible
**as a note the room it’ll be in gets warm as it’s upstairs in basically and attic so cooling is very important

Any feedback/opinions etc are welcome. Thank you!
Are you sure that mobo supports ddr4 ram?

Oct 6, 2022
Are you sure that mobo supports ddr4 ram?
I am not. I set everything up on Newegg’s builder thing and I swear I’d read somewhere that it could alert me if things weren’t compatible but perhaps that’s incorrect. I’ll have to look into that more as well so thank you for pointing that out. I am very much a noob here and this is the exact reason I wanted some feedback, to see all the different things I need to be careful to consider. Thank you

Thanks for the reply. Storage is one of those things I feel I always get wrong. I’m sure it’s fair to say getting more storage wouldn’t be a bad idea but I don’t really know much about how much storage I could conceivably need in the future. As of now, I doubt I’d need much as I don’t game much on my computer but on console instead but would like to branch out and likely do a fair bit of both.

As for your other suggestions, it seems I’ve got some more research to do as I’m not even sure exactly what a PCI-E is ideal for/what it is not what the alternatives are (where I put together the build almost all we’re that) and I need to look more into having multiple storage components for different things I guess. But glad to know I’m at least off to a decent start. Thanks

The payoff from moving from 3.0 to 4.0 is obvious on benchmarks but hard to notice in actual use. If you are a slave to benchmarks you obviously choose 4.0.

If the price difference between 3.0 and 4.0 is 75 dollars.......is that the best place to spend that 75 dollars? Better than on stronger CPU? Better than a stronger video card? Better than larger capacity single drive? Better than 2 drive option?

More CPU horsepower is always a strong candidate as you will feel that a bit during most operations.

Decisions, decisions. Most of which will be ultimately driven by budget....which is unknown?

All of it complicated by your personal tendency for buyer's remorse and second-guessing yourself.....whatever that tendency is.

Oct 6, 2022
Am4 processor on an am5 mobo is not going to work.

Why don't you start with a budget and goals and we can go from there., specifically what resolution and refresh rate you will be playing at.
I didn’t even notice that about the novo, I got a little impatient with trying to come up with a rough idea and just went through Newegg’s build feature and thought it would tell me if something was incompatible but I guess not. I’ll look into that more.
My max budget is 2k and the monitor has:
  • 1920 x 1080 Resolution
  • 165Hz Refresh Rate

• as far as what else I want, I know I’ll be playing things like the sims and cities skylines which actually take a lot more than I would’ve thought to keep the simulations going. I also want to be able to play older games I no longer can on my PS5 and at least the option to be able to play other newer games that may be better optimized for PC (like cyberpunk as an example). As I said I am very, very new at this PC stuff but want to get into it more. Lots of work ahead of me it seems :)

Oct 6, 2022
The payoff from moving from 3.0 to 4.0 is obvious on benchmarks but hard to notice in actual use. If you are a slave to benchmarks you obviously choose 4.0.

If the price difference between 3.0 and 4.0 is 75 dollars.......is that the best place to spend that 75 dollars? Better than on stronger CPU? Better than a stronger video card? Better than larger capacity single drive? Better than 2 drive option?

More CPU horsepower is always a strong candidate as you will feel that a bit during most operations.

Decisions, decisions. Most of which will be ultimately driven by budget....which is unknown?

All of it complicated by your personal tendency for buyer's remorse and second-guessing yourself.....whatever that tendency is.
All very good points I plan to ask someone more tech oriented than me in person so they can explain it well (hard to do sometimes in written format) so I appreciate everything. And budget is 2k.
And I have a strong tendency for both, which is the main reason I haven’t just bought a pre-built instead since I’m so new and that’d probably be the easier way for someone like me. But I’m always excited to learn new things so may as well be this since I’ve really been enjoying gaming these days.

All very good points I plan to ask someone more tech oriented than me in person so they can explain it well (hard to do sometimes in written format) so I appreciate everything. And budget is 2k.
And I have a strong tendency for both, which is the main reason I haven’t just bought a pre-built instead since I’m so new and that’d probably be the easier way for someone like me. But I’m always excited to learn new things so may as well be this since I’ve really been enjoying gaming these days.

How important is gaming performance to you compared to non-gaming?

Will you be gaming 20% of the time? 70%?

Is the PC purely for personal use.....or does it make money for you (work PC) some of the time?

I wouldn't assume I needed AIO cooling.

2000 is a good budget; generally you tilt toward video card emphasis the more important gaming becomes.....but always subject to lowering your video card requirements IF your particular games and settings don't require an expensive video card. If you "need" an 800 dollar video card, it obviously cramps that 2000 budget quite a bit.

Reactions: Why_Me
Here's another option to consider.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1681731-REG/gigabyte_b660_aorus_master_ddr4.html
GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 $164.99

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B660-AORUS-MASTER-DDR4-rev-10

https://www.amazon.com/DeepCool-AK620-High-Performance-Dual-Tower-Dissipation/dp/B09CSXS3X4
DeepCool AK620 CPU Cooler $51.64

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/deepcool-ak620-review

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NPJDPVG
Intel Core i7-12700F $312.96

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...-25m-cache-up-to-4-90-ghz/specifications.html

i7 12700 / 12700F gaming benchmarks.

i712700.jpg

Reactions: brinedpickle
Oct 6, 2022
How important is gaming performance to you compared to non-gaming?

Will you be gaming 20% of the time? 70%?

Is the PC purely for personal use.....or does it make money for you (work PC) some of the time?

I wouldn't assume I needed AIO cooling.

2000 is a good budget; generally you tilt toward video card emphasis the more important gaming becomes.....but always subject to lowering your video card requirements IF your particular games and settings don't require an expensive video card. If you "need" an 800 dollar video card, it obviously cramps that 2000 budget quite a bit.
I’ll mostly be using it for gaming as opposed to work as I’ll continue using my laptop for that since I login remotely from there to another computer anyway so my work isn’t even technically done on my laptop now anyway. But I’m sure I’ll end up using it for other things now and again.

larsv8

Distinguished
I think you would be very happy with this....

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($193.89 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($72.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Zotac GAMING Trinity OC GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB Video Card ($849.99 @ B&H)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A ATX Mid Tower Case ($110.97 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS PLUS 850 Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ B&H)
Monitor: Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Monitor ($280.39 @ Amazon)
Total: $1928.19
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-10-06 22:39 EDT-0400

Reactions: brinedpickle