Build Advice First-time DIY PC build

Jun 15, 2022
I am looking to build my own PC for the first time and I want your advice and criticism.
Let me know about there being any incompatibility. Estimated $400-500 for build.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G (APU)
ASRock B550M-ITX/AC AM4 Mini ITX
Kingston Fury Beast 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz
Western Digital WD BLACK SN750 SE NVMe M.2 2280 250GB PCI-Express 4.0
Fractal Design Core 500 Black
Corsair SF Series SF600 600W 80 PLUS GOLD Micro ATX Full Modular PSU*

* I might research another power supply, I am in the phase of trying to find the right wattage calculation.

I plan to install and use Linux (Any popular distro like Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, etc.) for this build. Does anyone have experience with Linux working great on similar builds?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Linux just tends to work with AMD hardware.

I would highly recommend a 500GB SSD for some growth potential. Since your system memory is also your video memory, it is best to go as fast as reasonable. DDR4 3600 CL16 is considered the sweet spot for AMD.

Power supply is fine, a little oversized for an APU build, you are looking at well under 200W. You could get away with less if you wanted. But it is also a SMALL SFX power supply physically, you are paying extra for that. Your chassis seems to support full size ATX power supplies, so you could save a little there.

Reactions: tennis2

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
^ For something like Ubuntu it's probably not going to need any supplemental storage. It is already so lean and considering this build wouldn't be for gaming (with the additional aspects that make that possible) there simply isn't much requirement for it. The system listed should run like a scalded dog on (any) Linux OS.

I have been playing with Linux, Ubuntu specifically, and been doing U-Lite (physical) installs for some time now. The VM I use for this are rarely over 20GB, and often set up and run just fine on 10TB. It is a super slick OS and when W10 support kicks the bucket it is my goal to swap all the work machines that are "out of date" for W11 to it for daily driving.