Question Flickering (black) issue with new MSI Optix display

Status
Not open for further replies.

JunkFondler

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011
Hello!

I'm having an extremely frustrating flicker issue since buying this new display: MSI Optix MAG342CQR
monitor specs: https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-MAG342CQR/Specification

The issue is an intermittent black flicker. It happens seemingly during any type of use, including: reading emails, browsing websites, using any of the office365 applications, gaming... even just staring at task manager it can happen.
Sometimes it won't happen for a whole day, other times it will occur several times during a 15 minute window, or seemingly hundreds of times per work day.

I'm running it at 3440x1440 with 144Hz

I've already tried switching to a new DP cable, it had no effect on the issue. The ISSUE DOES NOT OCCUR while using HDMI cable instead, but this limits the monitor to 100Hz because of the HDMI version. This monitor has the following inputs:
1x DP (1.4)
2x HDMI (2.0)

I want to make use of 144Hz, not 100Hz. That's why I bought this monitor.
The issue also occurs when gaming at 1080p @ 144Hz, so that should rule out any displayport bandwidth issue, no?

Upgrade path before the issue started:
6 months ago: I upgraded from 750W PSU to 1000W PSU, to get ready for GPU upgrade and adding more SSDs
6 months ago: GPU upgrade from RTX 2080 to RTX 3080Ti
5 months ago: Display configuration changed
FROM: 2x ASUS 1080p 144Hz (DP) monitors + 1x 4K 60Hz TV HDMI 2.0 (off most of the time)
TO: 1x MSI Optix MAG342CQR 3440x1440p + 1x 4K 60Hz TV HDMI 2.0 (still off most of the time)
This is when the issue started

I almost never use the TV and monitor at the same time, but the issue seems to occur all the same.
Watching a 1080p or 4K video on the TV while using the monitor doesn't seem to make the issue any worse, so I don't think the GPU is being overtasked in any way.

My specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6GHz 8 core (16 cpus), liquid cooled
32GB RAM
Geforce RTX 3080Ti (EVGA) latest driver installed as of posting this
EVGA 1000W PSU
Win10 Pro 64-bit build 19043

The monitor's Freesync isn't in use.

I've been through dozens of posts for similar-ish display flicker issues on a wide range of monitors and nothing has helped so far.

Sometimes it feels like rebooting the PC and power cycling the monitor helps but that could also just be the sporadic nature of the issue coming and going.

Thought it might be a power issue since there's no UPS for this machine. However, the other PC and TV on this same power circuit don't exhibit the issue so I don't think that's it.

I contacted MSI support and they weren't very helpful regarding troubleshooting, they just wanted to RMA the monitor with a minimal understanding of the issue. Instead of paying the shipping costs to them, I decided to try troubleshooting some more first.
I've noticed the external power pack for this monitor seems to get very hot. I placed it in a position where it hangs off the desk via zip ties, hoping more air-surface would help but it's still hot within minutes of use, don't know if that's a problem or expected for this model.

I'd appreciate any tips or tricks in narrowing this issue down, if possible.

~cw

Prominent
Mar 31, 2022
FWIW I have a ViewSonic XG2703-GS, capable of overdrive at 165 Hz but which I always run at 100 Hz (for various reasons). I run it over DP with a quality cable fed by a 3080.

I occasionally have exactly the same issue as you - weeks and months of flawless operation, then one or more days where brief drops to black occur. I first marked it up to GPU thermal problems, but after I modded my card to reduce its RAM and die temps to reasonable levels the problem still occurred sporadically. I then wondered if it was driver problems, so did a full DDU flush and reinstall of latest drivers - problem still very occasionally occurs.

My monitor has an AUO Optronics AHVA panel like yours, and I've been wondering for a while if there's some intrinsic, sporadic issue with my monitor's panel driver, power regulation or signal processor which causes this. I'm afraid I can only offer anecdotal observations of my monitor, it may be pure coincidence, but until I can obtain a signal analyser to sniff the signal inline I can't offer much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.