Discussion FM2A88X Extreme6+ Motherboard Issues When Updating Beta Firmware With Windows 10 1903

Jul 14, 2019
I decided (5 years later) to install Windows 10 1903 on this motherboard with the A10-8850B APU, 32 GB or RAM. I was very impressed at the current performance, but need to share some standing issues:

1. Updating from a beta BIOS to the most current: Using the BIOS EZ Flash nor using a USB device and taking a tech's advice of using MS-DOS (as the website recommends) did not work. Absolutely DID NOT WORK! I want to reemphasized that since IT is my thing....and has been for more than 25 years. I felt as if this is beyond a major failure and whomever is even running quality assurance should review this.

Solution: I had to download the AMI Aptio Version 4 tool and the UEFItool to not only make (modify) the correct size of the bios files, but force flash to the most current. You cannot update from a beta bios to a qualified bios. The website's listed bios files sizes are too large to install on the motherboard nor the original bios files were missing. Do not ever use any of ASRock's beta bios files and if you do, then you must re-read this solution again.

2. Booting into UEFI when disabling CSM: Pressing F2 or Delete fails when the Compatibility Support Module is disabled and you reboot to try and access the BIOS menu

Partial Solution: In Windows 10, you cannot use the normal shutdown and reboot options, but must Right-Click on the Start Menu and select the Shut Down or Sign Out menu. Click Shutdown, which is the full shutdown of Windows 10. Power on the machine, then press Delete or F2. Sometimes the cursor will show, sometimes you will hear the rocket to get into the UEFI BIOS. If not, then you must clear CMOS Ram.

This motherboard is fully compliant with the current AMD Adrenaline software, but I also recommend using the AM4 Chipset drivers instead of the websites outdated Crimson drivers.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
So to clarify..... this isn't a question that you need an answer to. You literally just made your account as of today just to share this info with the tech community correct?

Your last comment though is a puzzling one. Not quite sure what you are getting at with the AM4 chipset drivers.... especially seeing as how that motherboard is FM2+ so AM4 chipset drivers shouldn't even remotely be a thing on that hardware.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019
So to clarify..... this isn't a question that you need an answer to. You literally just made your account as of today just to share this info with the tech community correct?

Your last comment though is a puzzling one. Not quite sure what you are getting at with the AM4 chipset drivers.... especially seeing as how that motherboard is FM2+ so AM4 chipset drivers shouldn't even remotely be a thing on that hardware.

Sure, I'm still getting a feel of this forum. I guess this posted as a question, but it's changed to Discussion.
AMD put all supported chipset drivers in the same packages. You have a computer....check it out for yourself. I thought they were all different, but they were not since FM2+ was in the middle. Yes, it's a puzzling one as it's what I have done to correct an uncorrect bios file size and obtain current chipset drivers. The AM4 section works fine with no errors for the FM2+ chipset.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019
BIOS Selection Switch on board, is the other Bios official?

tap F6 on boot, another way to flash outside Bios

or maybe these are the correct size, 5 versions here

to read these of course , must be unpacked to root of fat32 drive

your guide if needed

http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/FM2A88X Extreme6+.pdf

The file sized are increased for UEFI, but if you use the beta, the EZ Flash in Bios fails because it's looking for a different bios size, which was strange. I used the UEFItool to extract the body of the bios file and had to force flash to the qualified bios. They even have an enticing 2018 4.20A Beta Bios file that most users have, but don't realize that if a new qualified bios is released, they will have this issue.

Upgrading from a qualified to qualified bios with the EZ Menu, MS-DOS, and Windows works fine.

Their instructions on their website does not work when you need to upgrade from a beta bios to a qualified bios.

Not the A-B Bios switch on the motherboard, but UEFI BIOS in the menu.

Jul 14, 2019
Lol. It was originally posted as a question, but I made the comment about how it wasn't one and the OP changed it to discussion. And now you've changed it back LOL :ROFLMAO:

Ahahaha!!!! I just seen this one. I appreciate the change and help. I wanted to notify the folks out there with this motherboard. I couldn't work up a question, so I guess discussion is the best. :ROFLMAO: I think I should have created a How-To with some video, but I took risks gathering resources to update to the latest firmware.