Folder Share between Vista PC's

tonymarcus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
Hello Guy's,

This is my problem, I have 2 Vista computers, one a Desktop and the other a laptop. I would like to share certain folders on my Desktop with my lap top.

If I right click the folder I would like to share on my desktop and click share it brings me a drop down box to chose who to share with, if I just click share with out adding users I can see the folder on laptop but not open it.

If I do the above and add guest it will allow me to open folder as I want to do but when I do this it shows the folder when I log on to Guest account, I use the Guest account when my Niece uses PC to stop her deleting and changing things (she's at that ages :)).

I think I need to add my laptop to the list of people to share with but what do I type :-

The Desktop is called HOMEBUILD and my account is Tony
The laptop is called LAPTOP-PC and the account is also Tony

I have tried \HOMEBUILD\Tony , \\HOMEBUILD\Tony and so on but it says unable to locate.

Does anyone have any idea on what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks

Tony

tonymarcus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007

I have since discovered that if I type "Network" in the drop down box and add it will give me access but with every account on the network so it's still not what I want to do.

Anyone have an idea on this ??

TIA

Tony

bravo29

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
type it as follows homebuild\Tony. Dont put no back slashes in the front of the PC name.

The vista screen should have shown you the error and how to type it in.

tonymarcus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
No that does work it says that "\\HOMEBUILD\FOLDERNAME is not accessible, you might not have permission to use this network resource.

If I type in Guest, administers or network I can access folder.