Folder Watcher/Synchronizer

Hi,

I am looking for a folder watcher utility that runs a script upon anybody
adds a file to the folder.

I searched Google and there are tons of folder watch utilities; however I
would like to work with a standard and well known one.

Does resource kit contain such utility? Is there any standard/ tested folder
watch utility?

Any help would be appreciated,
Alan

A.M wrote:

> I am looking for a folder watcher utility that runs a script upon anybody
> adds a file to the folder.
>
> I searched Google and there are tons of folder watch utilities; however I
> would like to work with a standard and well known one.
>
> Does resource kit contain such utility? Is there any standard/ tested folder
> watch utility?
>
> Any help would be appreciated,
> Alan
Hi,

Here is a nice freeware file/folder monitoring utility that installs
itself as a service (works on WinXP):

http://www.xtware.com/filenotify/

An alternative is to script the monitoring (no need for any 3rd party
components):

In this article:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/qanda/oct04/hey1011.mspx

from Hey, Scripting Guy explains how to "Automatically Run a Script Any Time
a File is Added to a Folder".

More about this method:

See e.g. "Monitor File Creation" here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scripts/storage/files/default.mspx

and

Enhanced WMI Monitoring Scripts
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/2000/server/scriptguide/en-us/sas_wmi_tjin.mspx

and

From: Torgeir Bakken (Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com)
Subject: Re: Help, stupid & simple question
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: 2002-07-22 19:55:02 PST
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?selm=3D3CC3B1.D494F4A1%40hydro.com

From: Jacky Chan (jackyc@avanade.com)
Subject: how to monitor file creation in folders and subfolders?
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win32.programmer.wmi
Date: 2002-08-15 08:29:22 PST
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?threadm=%23Hmkf6GRCHA.844%40tkmsftngp08

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message
> A.M wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a folder watcher utility that runs a script upon anybody
>> adds a file to the folder.
>>
>> I searched Google and there are tons of folder watch utilities; however I
>> would like to work with a standard and well known one.
>>
>> Does resource kit contain such utility? Is there any standard/ tested
>> folder watch utility?
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated,
>> Alan
> Hi,
>
> Here is a nice freeware file/folder monitoring utility that installs
> itself as a service (works on WinXP):
>
> http://www.xtware.com/filenotify/
>

> An alternative is to script the monitoring (no need for any 3rd party
> components):
>
> In this article:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/qanda/oct04/hey1011.mspx
>
> from Hey, Scripting Guy explains how to "Automatically Run a Script Any
> Time
> a File is Added to a Folder".
>
> More about this method:
>
> See e.g. "Monitor File Creation" here: