Folding@Home: THGC Needs You -Team 40051

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JR4343

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
This is a really good thing to do, and there is also one called SETI@home which analyses signals from outer space......

Had SETI on a donated laptop for a while because it had Vista on it. It ran until i had the time to reformat & install XP. It's an HP-and it wazza beach trying to find/get/download all the drivers that XP did NOT have in it's inventory. Finally succeeded-clean XP, drivers, and was off and running on BOINC-worldcommunitygrid.org .

My opinion was simple: finding new planets and new (to us) members of the universe were a bit detached frm finding a cure for cancer/aids/muscular dystrophy/denque/etc. So i switched.

As of midnight (+/- an hour) i will have created 5cpuYEARS of results (5,250 of them) for these various world health prbs, including WCG's version of proteome folding.

Bye the bye, there are probably 2 dozen or more sites that use distributive computing, including such nonsense as beating the (boris) Spatski chess check mate, the next prime number (now in 16 digits), and other math oriented projects mainly proposed and operated by post-grad college students requiring massive number crunching for their thesis. BOINC-WCG was selected after reading up on at least a dozen of these sites for the security (your machines have to open their doors/firwalls once in a while to get rid of finished and get new data!.), ease of I/O, and a bit of competitiveness as Tom's team seems engrained with (Think they're in 20th place world wide....admirable! and congrats).

For the moment all my work demands are met by my fastest machine, but as a side line, i've been collecting old (donated) eMachines (466Mhz, 533Mhz, 633Mhz), and am trying to make them as (power) efficient as possible (each machine with hard drive draws ~ 100watts and with the 9th machine about to join the 'team', i'm staring at a kilowatt/hour to drive all these puppies. Since my efforts to make them boot and run off a Flash stick with Ubuntu(linux) that is provided by BOINC-WCG has summarily failed, i will do the next best best thing and run this lean/mean OpSys on the hard drive, and hope the throughput will be better than running XP (i think it will....Ubuntu set up with WCG pgms takes only 250meg...and all the machines have at least 256RAM, hence e'thing should work in RAM and limit hard drive access...maybe even shut down HD intermittently?).
Hope you decide to join an humanitarian cause and Happy New Year and Happy Crunching
JR

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006

Not so confident about continuous folding on a laptop, but it's your equipment not mine, so I really shouldn't judge.

Oddly enough I've stopped Folding for a couple of months and restarting just now, and my ranking on Tom's list seems to have even increased. I used to be around 150~200+ and now I'm 136?!?! Also Tom's seems to have slipped to 70+ as the Team ranking, which used to be 60 something.

Either Tom's group is losing folders or something screwy is going on with the scores.

Either way we need moar people!

well since i randomly found this i will be folding with my GPU (4870), figured why not get back into it, and i don't game that much anymore, just program an Tom's

have 2 WU's done so far today

:lol: Only two?, best you work through your lunch hour and stay behind tonight to make up some time. :lol:

well almost 3 now, but this is in less than 9hrs, keep in mind i am only using the GPU, not my cpu at all as i need it to write and test stuff for multi threaded apps, you know being a programmer in college eats a lot of cpu cycles

;) I was just having an unreasonable and unwarranted poke at you mate, thanks for joining and welcome to the team (it's what I should have said in the first place but I was being an arse).

i know, and i am pretty sure this will be nearly a 24/7 thing with this gpu, though the down time will be lan parties with friends and anytime i need it of gpgpu programming (ATI Stream and opencl)

the 32bit build, though i don't know tons on the folding@home linux, you may be better on a distro without a GUI and run from teh command line to reduce cpu overhead and get more done (arch linux would not be too hard, just read through the basic install guide as you go)

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006

Well you could try. Though you need to check if the machine could finish the WUs before the deadline. I've tried folding with an old PIII 550MHz and it usually took days (5~7) per WU. Comparatively my P4 2.8GHz takes about 2~3 days.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
I just added three Dell R710 to my fleet, each one loaded with a pair of E5540 Xeons. I also switched to the A3 SMP2 cores, the jump in PPD is stupidly high with the speed factor bonuses :pt1cable:

bholland2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006

I saw you zoom by me :ouch: ... I wondered what you did to get that big increase in PPD.

I just upgraded 4 linux duelies and a windoz XP quad to SMP2 a couple of days ago. The points increase is starting to show up already :bounce: . I don't think I'll catch you though, good work :)

bholland2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
I noticed that as soon as I installed the driver and RivaTuner couldn't see the fan any more. :fou:

MSI Afterburner 1.5.0 is the only controller I've found so far that controls the fan correctly on my 8800GTX and 9600GSO after upgrading the drivers. I haven't checked in the last couple of weeks.

I'd really rather switch back to RivaTuner but can't as long as it won't control the fans with the new drivers.

Any further advice on this would be appreciated. :??:

Status
Not open for further replies.