Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I bought some new cd-rw cd's. I am trying to format the
cd to make it readable and writable. I haven't been
succesful. Any suggestions from anybody?

Jerry wrote:
> I bought some new cd-rw cd's. I am trying to format the
> cd to make it readable and writable. I haven't been
> succesful. Any suggestions from anybody?

Are you using the built in formating in Windows XP? or a third party
application?

--
<- Shenan ->

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

The built in capability of Windows XP allows to burn a set of files to a
CDRW like it was a CDR, except it can be erased and reused. There is no
formatting involved. If what your are looking for is the capability to use
a CDRW like a big floppy - copy, edit, delete files, etc. you need to use a
3rd packet driver. Nero inCD, Roxio EasyCD, and Sonic DLA are the best
known.
--

"Jerry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I bought some new cd-rw cd's. I am trying to format the
> cd to make it readable and writable. I haven't been
> succesful. Any suggestions from anybody?

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 13:42:48 -0500, "Shenan Stanley"
<news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote:

>Jerry wrote:
>> I bought some new cd-rw cd's. I am trying to format the
>> cd to make it readable and writable. I haven't been
>> succesful. Any suggestions from anybody?
>

>Are you using the built in formating in Windows XP? or a third party
>application?
>
>--
><- Shenan ->

You are confused and know not what you speak of.

There is NO built in formatting capability for CDR(W)s in XP. None.
Nada. Zip. The big zero.

XP masters discs; this does not require formatting.

Formatting is involved when one wants to be able to read/write/erase
individual files on a CDRW (and to a limited extent, a CDR). For
that, you MUST turn to a third party application like InCD or Roxio
(Drag to CD? Is that what it's called now?). XP can't do that
natively.

Personally I steer clear of this UDF (packet writing) format as it is
not real realiable. It works fine until it doesn't, at which point
you are completely buggered and you have a CDR(W) that is completely
useless to you.

NobodyMan wrote:
> You are confused and know not what you speak of.
>
> There is NO built in formatting capability for CDR(W)s in XP. None.
> Nada. Zip. The big zero.
>
> XP masters discs; this does not require formatting.
>
> Formatting is involved when one wants to be able to read/write/erase
> individual files on a CDRW (and to a limited extent, a CDR). For
> that, you MUST turn to a third party application like InCD or Roxio
> (Drag to CD? Is that what it's called now?). XP can't do that
> natively.
>
> Personally I steer clear of this UDF (packet writing) format as it is
> not real realiable. It works fine until it doesn't, at which point
> you are completely buggered and you have a CDR(W) that is completely
> useless to you.

Although it may not be "formatting", you can erase RWs in XP:
http://snipurl.com/8vlp

Which is why I did not mince words with the OP. I am sure they just wanted
to know why they could not ERASE their CDRW, but as they have not returned..

--
<- Shenan ->

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001

/Shenan Stanley/ said:

> Jerry wrote:
>
>>I bought some new cd-rw cd's. I am trying to format the
>>cd to make it readable and writable. I haven't been
>>succesful. Any suggestions from anybody?
>
> Shenan Stanley wrote:
>
>>Are you using the built in formating in Windows XP? or a third party
>>application?
>
> NobodyMan wrote:
>
>>You are confused and know not what you speak of.
>>
>>There is NO built in formatting capability for CDR(W)s in XP. None.
>>Nada. Zip. The big zero.
>>
>>XP masters discs; this does not require formatting.
>>
>>Formatting is involved when one wants to be able to read/write/erase
>>individual files on a CDRW (and to a limited extent, a CDR). For
>>that, you MUST turn to a third party application like InCD or Roxio
>>(Drag to CD? Is that what it's called now?). XP can't do that
>>natively.
>>
>>Personally I steer clear of this UDF (packet writing) format as it is
>>not real realiable. It works fine until it doesn't, at which point
>>you are completely buggered and you have a CDR(W) that is completely
>>useless to you.
>
> Although it may not be "formatting", you can erase RWs in XP:
> http://snipurl.com/8vlp
>
> Which is why I did not mince words with the OP. I am sure they just wanted
> to know why they could not ERASE their CDRW, but as they have not returned..

This is true. But remember, it's not selective erasure, but the entire disk.

--
For most XP answers and tweaks...
http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org

I have a question also ... WHAT is the DNA Format for the drives? And, DO I
want to have my CDRW Drive/CD's formatted that way (by default) or Not?
Thanks, Ann