Former AMD Exec: Even I Wouldn't Buy AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
And that is exactly why he should NOT be working for AMD. He does not seem to know AMD's products very well with such a statement.

godwhomismike

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
That is all sorts of wrong. For us folks on a very tight shoestring budget, who want a relatively powerful desktop with quad core, that $99 AMD X4 620 CPU seems to fit the bill.

cabose369

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I think he doesn't know what he is talking about. Especially as a sales exec.

AMD has always been marketed as a value alternative to Intel. Not paying Intel's premium price while being a processor that is more than capable of doing what the average consumer does with their computer.

Intel charges customers more for products that are faster than AMD in most cases but the average customer doesn't need to spend that much extra when an AMD would do the same work at a lesser price (often $100 less than a comparable unit). Take it from someone who sells computers for a living, given the choice customers take the AMD's because it's cheaper.

And don't say I am an AMD fanboi because almost every processor I own is Intel.

godwhomismike

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Wait, aren't executives generally unknowledgeable overpaid douchebags, who are only in the position they're in because of family and political connection. Seems like that's how the large American companies are run today.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
I have owned both Intel and AMD and have never once received a bad Intel CPU, I have however had two bad Athlons... I did continue to purchase AMD though, but with diminished confidence.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
The key word is "former" exec. He sure loved his job when AMD showed him love with bonuses but then he didn't produced so AMD axed him and now he has an axe of his own to grind. I guess the bridges were already burnt so he has nothing to lose from AMD but why would Intel hire him knowing he is only loyal to this week's meal ticket?

godwhomismike

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]djackson_dba[/nom]How can you tell when an Executive Vice President/highest-ranking sales executive is lying?[/citation]

Isn't that usually every time they speak or write something?

wonderingwhatis

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
If memory serves me correctly, those were the days when AMD had the Athlon64 vs various P4s with HT.

That was really the time TO buy an AMD cpu over an Intel cpu.

This guy is a complete idiot IMO, probably some dumb executive with no tech knowledge.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
2004 is when that was said, that would make a bit more sense in 2006-now ish but 2004 amd had a great line up against the Pentium 4 and D crap.

imo he said it cuz intel is a bigger better company and he wanted to get hired there, after all he was the top sales man lol =p.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
If you look at the comment, I think it's in regards to their marketing.

I certainly would never buy AMD for a personal system, if I wasn't working here

I take this as, "I wouldn't buy AMD because I wouldn't know better"

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
It is sad that people go so low when it comes to monney ... how can you say you wouldn`t buy the better product at that time ... i mean ok ... if you`re not a tech geek you don`t know wich one is better but a guy like him to make that statement ... he`s a fukin imbecil.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I smell disgruntled ex-CEO. In fact, I might even smell a hint of bribe...

In that time period, AMD was far superior. It's only since Nehalem that Intel regained the performance crown (okay, the highest end Core2duo/quads were better, but price/performance AMD still had the crown in that era).

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
I can't afford Intel, or accompanying motherboard/RAM upgrades that are mandatory for higher end Intel chips. I buy AMD because i already have AM2, and I won't be required to upgrade for a while. He can afford Intel chips because AMD pays the bills :p

yannigr

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
OK... Intel proved that Henri Richard is a stupid man who does not know his own job. So what. Can they prove that Pentium 4 processors where better than AMD's A64s at that period? I think not.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
CNet reports Intel cites a 2004 internal AMD communication from former AMD Executive Vice President Henri Richard, the company's then-highest-ranking sales executive who said, "If you look at it with an objective set of eyes, you would never buy AMD. I certainly would never buy AMD for a personal system, if I wasn't working here."

If I get it right, Henri Richard said that in 2004 when he was still working for AMD! That's a reason to be fired right there. Anyway, I'm sure there are plenty of people at Intel who think the same about their own products. The difference here is that this went public.

Status
Not open for further replies.