Question Four Beeps at startup since installing NVIDIA 3070 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2020
Hi all,

Have just bought and installed a new EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 card. It works fine and benchmarks well but ever since installing, I hear four beeps in quick succession.
Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 board with the latest bios update F22f, and according to Gigabyte, four quick beeps is something to do with time/cmos battery which I replaced. It is still doing it. Have also done a process of elimination and the graphics card is what is causing it.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Thanks

Specs are:
  • CPU: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.6 GHz
  • CPU Water Cooler: Nepton 120XL
  • GPU:EVGA GeForce RTX 3070
  • Ram: G. SKILL + Random 24 GB DDR4
  • Primary SSD: 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 500GB
  • SSD: 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO Series
  • HDD: 1TB Western Digital Black
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2
  • MB: GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020
Hi there,
I'd like to know this as well.
I've also have this problem after installing Zotac RTX 3070 twin edge oc everything runs fine and all
but there always 4 beep before it boot to windows

my specs:
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
  • Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB pro 2x8gb 3200mhz
  • GPU: Zotac RTX 3070 twin edge oc
  • SSD: 1x wd blue m.2 nvme 1tb,1x sata samsung ssd 256gb
  • HDD: wd green 2tb
  • Motherboard: ASrock b450 steel legend
  • PSU: corsaircx 650w

Nov 1, 2020
I'm having the exact same issue. Everything works great. Ran a number of benchmarks and there doesn't seem to be any issue with my system but I'm getting 4 beeps every start up ever since I installed the graphics card. Soon as I remove the card, the beeps go away!

I also looked this up and it appears to be a Real Time Clock Malfunction. I've reseated the GFX and even replaced the CMOS battery to no avail..

I've also updated my MB bios to the latest F12K.

Any help would be appreciated.

My specs:
  • CPU: Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700K (3.6GHz) 12MB Cache
  • Ram: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Eagle OC
  • SSD: 250GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
  • PSU: CORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020
Could it be 1 long and 3 short beeps? Does the issue stop if you reinstall the old card?

4 short beeps then the standard bios beep letting you know it's about to boot. Definitely 4 short so I can only assume it's Real Time Clock issue.

The beeps dissappear when I install my old 1080 GFX. The funny thing is, it seems to have 0 impact on the PC's peformance once it's booted.

Nov 1, 2020
4 short beeps then the standard bios beep letting you know it's about to boot. Definitely 4 short so I can only assume it's Real Time Clock issue.

The beeps dissappear when I install my old 1080 GFX. The funny thing is, it seems to have 0 impact on the PC's peformance once it's booted.

yep i've tried to replace the gpu with my old gtx 1070 and the beep gone
some suggest turning of the CSM in bios
i've tried that but with that off i can't boot into windows

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
If you disconnect the mains supply for a minute or 2 then reconnect and power on the pc, check the time and date, if it's still correct I can't see it being a problem with the clock/CMOS battery. The reason I asked about the beeps is because 1 long and 3 short points towards a GPU problem. It could possibly be down to running a pcie gen4 card on a gen 3 board or a power issue. Are you running the bios in UEFI mode?

Nov 1, 2020
If you disconnect the mains supply for a minute or 2 then reconnect and power on the pc, check the time and date, if it's still correct I can't see it being a problem with the clock/CMOS battery. The reason I asked about the beeps is because 1 long and 3 short points towards a GPU problem. It could possibly be down to running a pcie gen4 card on a gen 3 board or a power issue. Are you running the bios in UEFI mode?
Yes it's in UEFI mode
and if i unplug the psu the date and time are still correct so i also don't think it's CMOS
also it's a quick 4 beeps
but yeah the pcie gen4 in gen3 slots is also my guess

Nov 1, 2020
Yes it's in UEFI mode
and if i unplug the psu the date and time are still correct so i also don't think it's CMOS
also it's a quick 4 beeps
but yeah the pcie gen4 in gen3 slots is also my guess

Yep same for me. I don't think it's a power issue as during benchmarks I can see the power draw going up to around 230w with no issues.

Good point about pcie gen 3. Never thought of that!

It'll be interesting to see if any vendor's push out a new bios update in due course to remove this error

Nov 1, 2020
OMG Sam your suggestion worked which I totally missed before.

I disabled CSM support in the bios and the 4 beeps dissappeared!! Luckily I think I built my PC with this disabled so Windows boots successfully. It's definitely worth trying to boot to Windows 10 CD or USB with CSM disabled and see if the beeps stop? If so, I'm afraid the fix will be rebuilding your PC with CSM disabled in the bios.

I can confirm my issue is fixed with CSM disabled!

Reactions: avivnet and jsmhlz
Nov 1, 2020
OMG Sam your suggestion worked which I totally missed before.

I disabled CSM support in the bios and the 4 beeps dissappeared!! Luckily I think I built my PC with this disabled so Windows boots successfully. It's definitely worth trying to boot to Windows 10 CD or USB with CSM disabled and see if the beeps stop? If so, I'm afraid the fix will be rebuilding your PC with CSM disabled in the bios.

I can confirm my issue is fixed with CSM disabled!
Hey!! Thanks for the confirmation
I've reinstalled windows with CSM disabled and it really fix the beeping problem

Reactions: avivnet and jsmhlz
Nov 4, 2020
I have the same exact issue. My card is a MSI 3070 Gaming X Trio.
I just tried disabling CSM and the four beeps went away. Unfortunately I cannot (or do not know how) to boot from my NVME with CSM disabled. Glad to know its not a power supply issue as I was starting to think it was. Still annoying not knowing how to fix it.

Gregkar

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2013
I have the same issue, how can i disable CSM? Is it a bios setting? Is there any chance i ruin anything else by disabling it? I did a fast search and all i see is "windows don't boot after CSM disabled"

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@Gregkar
It's a bios setting, usually under the Boot menu.

It doesn't ruin anything, but some devices won't run with Windows UEFI driver, so CSM needs to be activated to change that device to the Legacy setting.
For example, the poster above you: their M.2 drive stopped working because it likely runs Legacy drivers only.

Reactions: Gregkar
Nov 4, 2020
Thanx but my m.2 is my main boot drive, so...

Yeah, I was in the same boat. I was also having lots of trouble with driver incompatibilities and blue screens so I just went full fresh start. Wiped the M.2 and reinstalled windows using an ISO via USB with no other SSD’s connected. This made it so I can boot from my M.2 with CSM disabled. It fixed the driver problems and the beep at startup. Side note, I called ASUS (my motherboard manufacturer) and the service department told me that the beeps shouldn’t be a problem, they couldn’t elaborate on why it was happening though. Best of luck.

Nov 4, 2020
I think a BIOS update is whats needed to fix it as well. I went for the full refresh because I was having lots of other issues unrelated to the beeps. If it was just the beeps at startup I'm fairly confident nothing is really wrong and I would just wait for a BIOS update from ASUS. Cheers.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@Gregkar
You can check your system's boot mode via Windows Search > System Information > Bios mode.
Mine is in Legacy, but I'm pretty sure my motherboard supports both modes... Imma have to look into this a bit more, because I've been wanting to use a larger storage drive.

After looking around some, one can change between Legacy and UEFI by way of reinstalling the OS... that can be a headache in itself.
It also looks like there are workarounds without reinstalling the OS, but I question the reliability of that method.

Nov 18, 2020
Yeah I'm having issues to with the 4 beeps. Although I noticed on mine it beeps on the vga section. Not sure if that has any significance. Also been getting blue screen saying kmode exception not handled. Although it might just be driver issue as I didn't use ddu when installing my new 3070.

Ilianbelev

Honorable
Sep 27, 2014
My EVGA 3080 ftw3 arrived today. I have Ryzen 3700x with MSI X470 Gaming pro - latest BIOS and the same beeping is driving me crazy!
The suggestion to turn off CSM in the BIOS works! Thank you!

Dec 1, 2020
Same problem here.
bout the New Gigabyte Eagle RTX 3070
1Long beep and 4short beeps and everything is just fine!
I even do the Stress Test it (3Dmark)

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7 Processor i7-8700
  • Ram: 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Eagle OC
  • SSD: 500GB Adata M.2
  • Motherboard: Asus Z370 TUF gaming Plus : ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
  • PSU: Coolermaster 750W MODULAR 80 PLUS® Platnium

Status
Not open for further replies.