Fove Opens Pre-Orders For 'Fove 0' Eye-Tracking VR Developer HMD

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first company to release a VR HMD with 4K @ 80-90hz or better, combined with solid eye tracking and well implemented foveated rendering (making it possible to render all those pixels with a single card) gets my money.

Nvidia are already touting foveated rendering on Pascal, we already have phones with 4K displays (though 60hz, admittedly), we have multiple DP 1.3 cards which can output 4K @ >60hz, and now we have a soon to be released headset with eye tracking. Whoever can bring all those things together will have a hugely compelling product IMHO.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

Eventually, everyone will pull all those things together.
4K is shooting for low hanging fruit. Nothing about what you described is hard, nor far off.
8K, 16K and beyond are where things get interesting again. That's when engineers have to actually solve problems, not just iterate.

I'm not saying 4K is the end goal by and stretch... bring on 16K VR HMDs!! But surely they're a good few years away yet. Even DP 1.4 maxes out at 8K @ 60hz, and that's with compression and basic 24bit/px colour. I don't claim to know much about OLED engineering and design, but surely increasing pixel density to that extent is going to take time.

All I'm saying is that 4K @ 90hz + eye tracking and a decent foveated rendering solution is good enough to convince me to part with my money and jump into VR. Of course, hardware is only half the story though.

computerguy72

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
An FOV of 150+ degrees with decent pixel density coupled with highly comfortable HMD hardware seems to be the next sweet spot to me. Video cards and new rendering techniques are still in moore's law territory so foveated rendering is probably something that will be more of an add-on than an enabling technology. It will be interesting to see who steps up and really innovates VR technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.